Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Where do you think the price of 22LR ammo will settle?

I bought some Federal Auto Match at Wally World this morning for $18.73 for 325. With tax it worked out to .064 cents each, which was the price, or real close, 2 years ago before the panic buying. My old Marlin 80 DL really likes that brand.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Grand Master
    Got an ad from Midwayusa or Midsouth that 100 rd packs were $10.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

During the last shortage, many said that we'd never see 22 ammo below 8-10 cents per shot. But we did. They got down to 4-5 cents each once everyone filled their closets and ammo was available whenever you wanted it. We will go back to that eventually, I guarantee it!

Boolit Master

2 months ago, Just over .04 each for the Winchester 555,s. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ome-ammo-today
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Think of it as teeth on a saw, they go up and come back down. But each time they go up they do not go back as low as the time before.

I would not be surprised to see it "hang" up in the 8 to 10 cents per round range.

I decided for fun shooting it might be wiser to return to using my Air Rifles and pistols.
    I was able to score 5k pellets for 1.24 cents ea. 6.24 per 500 tin.

Best of all those I can shoot in my basement. No loading the range bag, hauling out to the jeep, no driving, no unloading and setting up. And no repeating the process in reverse to go home.

Just walk down stairs, turn on the lights, decide if I want to play with the little .177 Beeman pistol, the Crossman 1322 with carbine stock, steel breech and Pic rail with Red Dot sight mounted, or.22 Hatsan break action pistol, or the big Hatsan 95 .22 rifle.

I fired one round with the Big Hatsan 95 last night. Pop, dead center bullseye, exactly where I wanted it. Not bad for sitting on the shelf for 4 years.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master
    Ghosthawk,

I am on the same path...but I am even "lazier" than you...LOL. My range is off my back porch so I do not have the "going to the range hassle" excuse.

I have not shot a .22 LR all year. My air guns are a blast. Cheap to shoot , no hearing protection, no cases to clean up. And they are more accurate than most .22's to 50 yards.

My only "issue" is I have not found a good quality PCP pistol that is a repeater or semi-auto.
    Don Verna

Banned
    It's not the price of 22lr that is going to be a problem. It's the inflation...In the early 80's a 50 count box of 22lr was $1. It went up 2.5x because of inflation.
    I think that the RELATIVE price of 22lr will once again be back to 5 cents per (or less) But with inflation that figure may never be seen again. The production costs are the same as they were 3 years ago. The demand is perhaps 100x what it was 3 years ago. There is your price increase. When the hoarders get to the point where their garages will no longer hold the 10s of millions of rounds they think they need, they will stop buying and the price will come down again. SUPPLY and DEMAND that's all.

Personally I'm not expecting it to fall below where it is now.

Factoid: Metals trade sites reporting in the last week or so that copper is in short supply, with no end in sight. Electric cars use 20x the amount of copper than gasoline cars do, for one thing. You need copper to make brass, so go figure.
    Cognitive Dissident

My guess is .10/round for MiniMags and the like, a bit more for premium ammo, a bit less for bulk.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

I'm not real optimistic about this mainly because of the inflation and copper demand mentioned above.

My plan it to suck it up, and dedicate some money to this purpose at whatever the price is. The only defense against inflation is to spend it NOW. After the pain of the purchase is over, I'll still have the 22 shells, and feel better about it. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    I'm not real optimistic about this mainly because of the inflation and copper demand mentioned above.

My plan it to suck it up, and dedicate some money to this purpose at whatever the price is. The only defense against inflation is to spend it NOW. After the pain of the purchase is over, I'll still have the 22 shells, and feel better about it. jd
    Your plan has truth to it, in a savings account at the bank your interest rate is about 3-4X LESS than the inflation rate, so you may as well put your money into ''precious'' metals.

I once noticed (and this was several years ago) that the value of lead had risen more than gold on a percentage basis.

'Tis a well-known fact that in times of inflation it's best to hold commodities. Canned food, metals, (except gold!), toilet paper, guns and ammunition, und-und-und. The fact that people know this contributes to higher retail sales, and the frequency of buying contributes to what economists call "the velocity of money", which in turn contributes to inflation. Textbook example in my day was Weimar Germany.

I'm still working through .22 ammo that I bought during the first Clinton administration. I gloat.
    Cognitive Dissident

If the people in power get their way you will never get anything for the prices you were used to.
    It seems the majority of people like high prices or they would not make the voting decisions they make.

Boolit Master

Walmart had some CCI 22 mags for 24 and change the other day. The 125 count milk cartons. It was 21 and change before this latest mayhem.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

I'm more concerned about the price of Eggs and Bread right now. I have a stock of .22 LR that will last me until I pass.

Primers can make meat if you can hunt, but the price of heating oil, gasoline, and especially nitrate fertilizers has me concerned, being in farm country.
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned
    I'm hoping the prices of EVERYTHING SKYROCKETS.
    The quicker the idiots who think liberal ideas are good see the failure the quicker we can get back to SANE politics.
    MAGA

You will get your wish, but there'll be a lot of suffering in between.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Primers can make meat if you can hunt, but the price of heating oil, gasoline, and especially nitrate fertilizers has me concerned, being in farm country.
    Fertilizer(s) in our small rural community have skyrocketed and won't come down until Oil production goes up. Gasoline for regular gas went up to $3.49 a gal today.

Getting a bit off topic, but our regional Farm and Dairy weekly was saying that farmers won't plant as much corn, because it needs so much nitrogen.

Count on corn prices going way up, which will drive everything that uses corn oil, from peanut butter to popcorn.

Of course, we could quit turning so much of it into motor fuel.......
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast