RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Where do you think the price of 22LR ammo will settle?

Quote Originally Posted by hk940 View Post
    I don't think the price is coming down any soon, this last week i was on an auction site and a brick of 550 had a bid of $101.00! and that was not one bid. Many other lots of .22 had similar bids.
    Old time auctioneers would cry: "The more you pay, the more it's worth!"
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    My discovery shoots those crappy Crosman domed premier pellets a bit better than the HPs but will put either a bit under an inch at 50yds. It really likes the Benjamin domed but I haven't found any more of those yet. I did put a TKO brake on mine and it did make a lot of difference. I just ordered a second barrel/air tube band for the front of the barrel to see if that improves accuracy.

Do you shoot the ballistol coated pellets wet or dry them first?

wv: you are correct about price settling on cost of materials, transportation and profit but you have missed one of the main driving forces now. That is inflation. With an additional 8 trillion in deficit spending you can expect that devaluing of the dollar to push the prices of doing business up a matching % of the drop in the value of the dollar. That 8 trillion is about a 30% drop in the value of the dollar. Just look at the cost of everything lately.
    I shot them wet.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a first time 22 buyer only because I can't replace the center fire I load so 8-10 cents for LR isn't a problem for me though I'd rather not pay .15 cents for shorts. I've got my first 22 on the way, a Henry pump.

No trouble finding .22 LR or Mag here at a cpl of LGS's...but I've yet to see it for sale (.22 LR that is), for less than a dime a shot. Cabelas has Winchester yellow box (300 count) for $40...that's 13.3 cents a piece...a small gunshop up on the Ohio River has been selling Maxi-Mag .22 Magnums for $18/50 count (36 cents a piece). Pretty rich for my blood but we do use the Magnums in my New Frontier Colt and #2 son's Ruger Single Six...skunks at this time of year, along with raccoons and possums that have a hankering for the horse feed bins and the chicken coop. YMMv, Rod
    Rod

Boolit Master
    Two of the local Walmarts here have Federal AutoMatch, box of 325 pieces, for $20 out the door. That's a little more than 6 cents a shot. They also had Winchester at nearly twice that much per round.

Boolit Master

Local Walmart has the Winchester yellow box at $40. Each time I check they have more than the time before.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy
    Walmart here 1400 bucket of bullets 80 bucks and 325 auto match 21 $ in stock

Been watching Ammoseek for the last couple of weeks.

Appears to me it is settling into mostly 8 to 12 cents per round with a few specials and lower than that. Like Walmart selling the Federal auto Match 325 rounds for 20$.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master
    Lots of reports of Federal Auto Match in the $22 range. I do not need any, but if I did, that is not a terrible price. Heck I paid $18 at the LGS before the madness started.

Looks like things are improving.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Just grabbed two more boxes.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    i HAVE NOT SHOT ANY OF MY 22LR'S. IN YEARS. I BOUGHT A 17 HMR AND USED IT FOR PRAIRIE DOGS. WAS PAYING $8.31 PR BOX OF 50 IN BULK. NOW THEY ARE $19.00 PER BOX. IF THE PRICE DOES NOT COME BACK TO NORMAL, I WILL LIKELY SELL THE RIFLE AND BE DONE WITH IT.

Hmmm....this superannuated economist asks: Will the sale price of the rifle have increased due to inflation, or decreased because ammunition is so expensive?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Hmmm....this superannuated economist asks: Will the sale price of the rifle have increased due to inflation, or decreased because ammunition is so expensive?
    I don't personally care. people will still pay top dollar for it because there are none available. I can do without this one. still have two-22 LR rifles. And I can still load 223 rem. cheaper than the cost of 17 HMR ammo.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    I don't personally care. people will still pay top dollar for it because there are none available. I can do without this one. still have two-22 LR rifles. And I can still load 223 rem. cheaper than the cost of 17 HMR ammo.
    maybe you can but not with primers STARTING at a 1000 bucks a thousand. Just the primers are the same as what 22 shells would cost. now you may be like me and are sitting on a stash you bought cheaper but the way i look at it is every primer i use eventually has to be replaced. Then add bullets, powder and brass. now before this crap hit i could load 9mm with cast bullets cheaper but cant even do that today. As long as you can get a brick of 22s for 50 bucks 22 will still be cheaper to shoot. Add to that i dont have to pick up brass or put the time into loading it. I honesly got away from 22s for many years. But i find myself shooting them alot today. Just last week the wife picked me up bricks of 525 rem golden bullet hps for 40 bucks at walmart and got feds for 25 for 325 a week before. Honesly i doubt your going to see it come down lower then that. I think of it like this 25 bucks for 325 isnt bad when the two of us stop and mcdonalds and have problems eating lunch for 25 bucks.

Boolit Buddy
    There might be a small typo in the above...at $100 per 1000 for primers is what I see as a medium for primers at the moment.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Primers have been seen only on the side of milk cartons around here for many months now. I shudder to think how much they are going to cost when I finally do see them. My local shop managed to find a few trays of shotgun 209's for a customer who needed them really bad and was willing to pay hazmat and shipping just for them. The dealer cost per tray was $10.00, and add hazmat and shipping on top of that. I'm not going to do any load development for the foreseeable future, just stick with proven loads. I have no idea when I'll be able to replace the components.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Just saw SK Match Extra for $79/brick and Lapua Center-X for $150/brick at a large gunshop near here. They had cases of them. That isn't hugely more that when I was buying cases of them 15 years ago at Camp Perry. Both shoot excellently in my rifles for 50 M and 100 yard competition. The Center-X is just slightly better for that extra bit of mental confidence for a big match.

The first time I was at Camp Perry for 3-P, I had just walked through commercial row and realized there were all sorts of gadgets I needed to shoot better. I was shooting poorly and was lamenting to myself that I needed a number of these gadgets. I looked at the young man shooting next to me with a cloth coat, an H&R M12 from the CMP and Wolf Target ammo and he was whupping my behind.
    If I wanted better results, I had to take my own keister in my hands and SHOOT better. It was a great lesson that there is no substitute for excellent fundamentals. I had great equipment, it was up to me to shoot up to its capabilities.

Boolit Man
    I saw a few 325 round boxes of Federal Automatch at Walmart yesterday for 20.99 I believe. I bought 2 of these.

There were 10 boxes of 50 round of cci standard velocity for 4.99 a box. I bought 2 of these.

There were a few 300 round boxes of Winchester super x 100th anniversary for about $40.
    And 1 box of 525 of Remington for about $40.

I had not seen 22 ammo for about 2 years here. Until yesterday people had always bought it up the morning it came in and were reselling it. I guess those folks cannot resell it easily anymore. Maybe the drought is over in their mind.

At a gun show recently I saw 22 magnum 50 round boxes on tables for $22 on up at various tables to $75 dollars a box. I bought the last 2 boxes of Remington at $22 at that one table after checking price at every table in the show. On most tables a box of 50 was in the twenty something range. The biggest stack of boxes was at the table for $75 each for a box of 50. He may still have those.
    Thanks
    HawkEye

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I've been using a brick of Norma Tac 22 for practice lately, I bought it awhile back for a reasonable price. It is accurate enough but nothing special and chokes all my autoloaders. It costs $8.99/50 nowadays and I won't be buying any more of it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I had similar experiences with Winchester M22