RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Where do you think the price of 22LR ammo will settle?

Boolit Master

Where do you think the price of 22LR ammo will settle?

Disclaimer alert.... I grew up in the days of 50 cent boxes of ammo. I think anything over 1 cent a round is crazy price, but I make way more than a buck an hour so I guess 10 cent a round is not out of line.

Where do you think the price of ammo will settle in at once the shelves are full again?
    I thought it would be about 10% higher after the pandemic/Obiden scare. When it started trickling in I was fairly close, but in the past month I've watched the price of Federal Auto Match go up $4 a box at wallyworld. I think the shortage is starting to ease up a bit, several stores in my area have stock on a regular basis, but my 10% prediction is not cutting it anymore. Is it run away inflation?

Anyone care to guess on prices??

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    It's running around 26 cents here. I'd like to see it back to 10 cents per round one day.
    I know the days of a nickel/pop are gone.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I haven't bought .22s since Moby Dick was a minnow, and won't for a long time.
    But I'd figure it'll settle back in a year or so to about 75% of what you see it marked at now
    when you can find it at non-scalper prices.

Same as primers:
    Awhile back, I had a few extra bucks in the 'Keep Winger Ed. from Starving to Death This Week' fund,
    and was going to buy 5 or 6,000 SP & SR and Midway had them for about $45. per 1,000.
    I wasn't out,, there was no big rush, so I thought I'd wait until they had a free hazmat charge offer or a sale.

A week or so later---- I missed the boat. That train pulled out of the station, and I wasn't on it.
    Now, when you can find them, $75-100. per 1,000 is what you see, with a limit of one + hazmat.
    In a year or so, leaving room for inflation:
    I'd expect them to fall back to about $55-65 without limits & restrictions when supply catches back up to demand.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 10-05-2021 at 02:53 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I'm guessing that the cheap blasting ammo will eventually be $25 a brick, and the better grade of stuff just under $30. Did you note the word "guessing"? It will be several more months.

DG

Like Winger Ed I have a lifetime supply laid in, but I do buy shorts or some special .22 lr from time to time and can live with .10 a round if I have to every now and again. Used to be able to buy shorts cheaper than LR's. That too is gone.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I'll save my guess until we find out if congress is going to spend five trillion of your dollars ( that you haven't made yet ) .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy
    I'm with Jack Stanley...I'm not spending my money till after I earn it. Besides I laid in a fair amount before this nonsence began.

Boolit Master

Mini mags at Walmart are a bit over $9/100 now. That's the new normal.
    NRA Benefactor.

I’m thinking you will see 22 LR for less than .10 a round but it will be another year or more. Just my 2 cents.

Jedman

Boolit Buddy

$.10 a round now at Palmetto for plinker Federal with free ship, be nice if it went lower. Might sell more if they didn't advertise it was .25/round. $80 for 800 rounds

https://palmettostatearmory.com/fede...s-729b800.html

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I'm guessing that the cheap blasting ammo will eventually be $25 a brick, and the better grade of stuff just under $30. Did you note the word "guessing"? It will be several more months.

DG
    Think anyone predicting prices with what is going on is dreaming ,perhaps learn to reload your 22 as if this goes the way it is headed you will not be buying any ! According to the health officials ,guns are now a health emergency subject to guess whos executive order/Ed

Boolit Master

I’m less sanguine about prices coming down again than many here. The present administration will do anything, lawful or not, to assure ammo remains scarce and expensive.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    I’m less sanguine about prices coming down again than many here. The present administration will do anything, lawful or not, to assure ammo remains scarce and expensive.
    This strikes me as a very true statement. I wish it wasn't, but we all know the old saying about wish in one hand...

Robert

It really doesn't matter too much how much the price of ammo settles. If you need it you will buy it. Just like the price of gasoline. you have to have it so you buy it as needed and pay whatever the price might be. The only other real option is to do without or reload.
    If it gets too expensive, I will, of necessity, shoot less.

Boolit Master
    Gun show here a couple months ago had Aquila in 500 round bricks for $65 next to mixed brands for $25 for 50. Bought some from different forums as I was getting low, got 2000 Win for 12.5 cents delivered and 3250 Fed Auto Match for a fraction over 10 cents a round. Local shop had CCI for just over 13 cents a round. Suspect prices will fall some more but just when is open to debate. In any event don't think prices will come down to pre panic levels if only because of higher material costs.

When it comes to guns and ammo, if you can't make it, buy it when and if you can. We have been on a guns and ammo roller coaster famine, more than a dozen years and you can't plan for things to change. Like others, I have a lifetime supply of all that is needed.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    I probably will not be buying anymore .22LR. Started shooting PCP rifles this year and I prefer shooting them at ranges up to 50 yards. Much quieter (no hearing protection), more accurate, and cheap to shoot.

I might have lifetime supply of .22LR now that the air rifles are getting most of my range time. None of my .22's shoot bargain ammunition very well.

Hard to predict what will happen with price once (if?) we get back to normal. Pre panic I bought it at less than $.04/round in case lots. Even with inflation, it should not go much over $.08/rd unless the manufacturers/distributers/retailers decide to increase margins.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Most people don’t reload, much less cast. For the guy who wants to avoid a thirty-dollar box of rifle ammo, a sixty-dollar brick of .22s is a great deal. Much like the sixty-dollar primers everyone wants.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    Disclaimer alert.... I grew up in the days of 50 cent boxes of ammo. I think anything over 1 cent a round is crazy price, but I make way more than a buck an hour so I guess 10 cent a round is not out of line.

Where do you think the price of ammo will settle in at once the shelves are full again?
    I thought it would be about 10% higher after the pandemic/Obiden scare. When it started trickling in I was fairly close, but in the past month I've watched the price of Federal Auto Match go up $4 a box at wallyworld. I think the shortage is starting to ease up a bit, several stores in my area have stock on a regular basis, but my 10% prediction is not cutting it anymore. Is it run away inflation?

Anyone care to guess on prices??
    22 ammo will come back at 4-5 cents per round.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    22 ammo will come back at 4-5 cents per round.
    Yes, it will, but Jesus will come back before that happens.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast