RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this lead alloy? Some type of print related? (Hard lead score)

Boolit Mold

What is this lead alloy? Some type of print related? (Hard lead score)

Picked up a pile of lead and related stuff, some old caster gone to the great reward apparently. Second hand to me so no real story there.

I am having trouble figuring out what some of it is- first two photos are of the stuff in question. Obviously machine poured with large conical sprues. The alloy blocks clearly attached to something, you can see they have rails or clips on the back of the blocks. Anyone know what they are? My guess is similar to linotype maybe? The blocks are quite large, but don’t seem to have any letters or anything attached to them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16F0DC20-674D-4C94-A662-E14E5A943797.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	289778Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CB9C2993-4A87-48A7-AB2A-61441D3A1607.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	289779

Then we have some other stuff from the same haul:

Babbitt- some factory cast ingots, others hand cast, mostly just stamped with BABBITT on it, around 100 lbs.

Name:	8AC48721-5FF2-4FEE-9FA9-CAFC5D430070.jpg 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	289780

Monotype, maybe Foundry type? Around 100 lbs. I will add another picture later of this.

Name:	ED384E5E-5B1D-4B65-A557-DC9C178323E5.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	289781

50/50 Solder and some sticks that I think must be pure tin- too light to be a lead alloy.

Name:	A641BB63-A806-4588-A87F-ED0C5484FE17.jpg 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	289782

Here we have around 1200+ lbs of old wheel weights- no zinc, no steel at all. Then 120 lbs of Linotype pigs, a Lyman MAG 20 furnace, and 2 old “Electro Melter” pots. Also about ten various Lee and Lyman molds, plus 6 additional sets of handles. Plus a bunch of ingots that were already stamped as PB, WW, LT, and a few BABBITT as well that I put in that bucket.

Name:	69DE434F-51DE-4C45-9383-B899DF2FDF96.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	289783

Name:	AAE981EF-2C49-4631-9E6D-BE807FE962BE.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	289784

Name:	4EC11096-234B-42B7-A1BA-7FCD9B35C9FE.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	289785

Not shown is the 3 gallons of mixed brass which mostly was good useable rifle and pistol brass.

I have been unable to find anything remotely similar to the first two pictures, and unlike most of the stuff this old caster had, it is not labeled or obvious to me. He was great- all his ingots were stamped, made life so easy on me. The 3 lead melters probably have another 50-100 lbs in them as well. Once I smelt the wheel weights I expect to end up with over 1400 lbs total of lead, which once I take out the other items (I figured $50 for the Mag 20, $25 for each other melter, etc), I paid around 50 cents a lb for amount of lead it should all yield. Not bad just for wheel weight lead price, but especially good considering all the babbitt, linotype, monotype, solder and tin.

The crazy thing is that I already had a lot of linotype, and this haul had almost no pure lead. So I am going to need to acquire a lot more pure lead at some point!

I am going to go take another photo of the stuff in question- suddenly have an idea...

Boolit Mold
    More pictures of the monotype (foundry type?). Anyone venture an educated guess on which they seem to be?

Name:	D9A927E5-8D9C-415B-8D3F-42398262574D.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	289786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A6F8B0FF-7085-4EEC-819D-3BB0611DD4C0.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	289787Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C83F88E8-D492-40E9-91BC-409BCCF30DD8.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	289788

Boolit Mold
    More pics of the stuff in question. The idea I had was wrong. Basically there is a bunch of sprues, they feel a little lighter comparatively than these other pieces, I will need to check that they are not just tin. Some of these sprues were found in with the blocks, so I am assuming they are the same, but the coffee can was separated initially. Possible they got mixed together if they are not the same exact alloy.

Anyhow- there are some smaller keyhole looking blocks, some poured deep and filled out, others not filled out on the cast. Some are marked on the ends “F2” or other markings in sharpie pen. The larger blocks also have a couple marked “F2” so that was a popular marking. A couple have a large “T” scratched into the side, again making me wonder if that just means tin? I have not played with any tin alloys except linotype so I have no idea what it looks/feels like in a pure form. At this point I have zero idea what they are!

My kid is a biology/chemistry type, he can likely help me figure out specific gravity on these if I can’t figure it out myself somehow...

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	289790Click image for larger version. 

Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	289791Click image for larger version. 

Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	289792Click image for larger version. 

Views:	24 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	289793

Boolit Master
    Hard to tell in pics, but really high tin will develop a golden color.

Those letters are what I have always called monotype, but that doesn’t guarantee what the exact alloy is.

Nice score overall!

Boolit Bub
    think it is mono need to see the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by mha View Post
    More pictures of the monotype (foundry type?). Anyone venture an educated guess on which they seem to be?

Name:	D9A927E5-8D9C-415B-8D3F-42398262574D.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	289786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A6F8B0FF-7085-4EEC-819D-3BB0611DD4C0.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	289787Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C83F88E8-D492-40E9-91BC-409BCCF30DD8.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	289788

Boolit Master

will monotype just be a little more tin/antimony / less lead?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    You’ve got your work cut out for you to cast all that alloy.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    You’ve got your work cut out for you to cast all that alloy.
    I am a glutton for punishment. Today looks nice enough to get started on smelting the WW. Currently have my kid picking up some solder and organ pipe pieces from a scrap place, but a lot of the pipe sounds like it might be zinc so he has to sort thru a lot to do it. Some good info here that I found about that, but basically organ pipe can be anywhere from 50/50 lead /tin to other percentages, to wholly zinc or a zinc alloy....and I would like to avoid any zinc issues. Sounds like over the years using more tin was just too spendy for the pipe organ builders or something so they started using more zinc.

I will take better pictures of the monotype in a bit.

Still no guesses on what the larger blocks with attaching clips are or were used for? It seems pretty hard compared to everything else.

Boolit Master
    There is a forum member that can make your life some much simpler. BNE does the XRF scan on samples for a very reasonable fee, and you know exactly what your alloy is. I would think you might be wise to just do a site search for a thread describing his requirements and fee, or perhaps a PM and if he is not too busy will reply with instructions for sample preparation and other instructions. Be patient, he is busy.

Boolit Mold
    Good suggestion- I am aware of BNE’s XRF service and may very well make use of it once I get all my stuff sorted out better and organized into a more manageable situation. Like I probably need to melt all the unknown composition babbitt into one homogenous alloy, then get the resulting alloy XRF’d, etc.

I am just curious if anyone has any idea what those particular pieces are- I have searched here and googled and have yet to see a photo of anything similar looking.

Fairly sure the monotype is just monotype- no notches anywhere. The photo upload isn’t working for me now so just trust that I see no notches I guess.

Kid came home with about 120 lbs of organ pipe and left about the same amount there as he was unsure on some of it, but he brought samples home to test and look at. Everything he grabbed is clearly good stuff, and the samples seem good as well, will test with muriatic to verify no zinc content before he picks up the rest of it, just as soon as I can find the muriatic.

Smelting WW currently. Fun times.

Boolit Master
    The small ingots in the Folgers cans look like over 90% tin pewter. The melt temp will be under 450degF if they are. The larger ones look to have a high lead content (60%) like ley or lay pewter. That mag 20 is worth more than $100 all day long if it melts lead. I've got a utility lead melting pot like the one closest to the mag 20. Does yours have a heat control and made by SAECO?

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    The conical shaped pieces are actually sprue cutoffs from the square plates with the ears attached. ( you are on the right path)Those plates are a spacer behind a planer type blade from a plywood mill operation, at least the identical pieces I have are from the blades spacers on a log planer! The Babbitt is probably #11 grade, which in my particular instance was 86% tin, 10.8% antimony, and the balance was copper. GREAT stuff! Sawmill blade guides are also fashioned from this grade 11 Babbitt. Congratulations on that magnificent score!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    The conical shaped pieces are actually sprue cutoffs from the square plates with the ears attached. ( you are on the right path)Those plates are a spacer behind a planer type blade from a plywood mill operation, at least the identical pieces I have are from the blades spacers on a log planer! The Babbitt is probably #11 grade, which in my particular instance was 86% tin, 10.8% antimony, and the balance was copper. GREAT stuff! Sawmill blade guides are also fashioned from this grade 11 Babbitt. Congratulations on that magnificent score!

Excellent! And thanks for the info, I knew someone here would have an idea.

Funny- I used to design sawmill equipment with a small Mfr for a while, and I didn’t even think about that being a possible source. I worked on secondary mill variable ripsaws, and a few odds and ends like rebuilding edgers (which turn a log into large planks). Most of our stuff was used in mills that made boards into trim of various types. Never had anything to do with plywood. Did use some babbitt on the edger for sure, but we used a lot of bronze bushings on the ripsaws as the saw blades actually adjusted for each new board coming in for max output.

For some reason I was stuck thinking it was related to the linotype/monotype.... 25+ years ago is too long ago for me to recall most of what we did and why. Glad someone sharper than me was here and knew what it was!

Been smelting WW all day. About 40% done. So nice to just pick out the COWW and not have any zinc or steel WW in the mix.

Did some testing on the organ pipes, two varieties my kid grabbed today appear to be 70/30 lead/tin and 50/50 lead/tin. The three samples he brought of what is left showed that 2 more batches are good to go, probably more 70/30, and one batch has some zinc in the alloy and I am likely going to pass on that batch as I don’t want it if it has too much zinc. I have a piece big enough to melt down though so I may give that a try just to see, I think it is a lead/zinc alloy and not too heavy on the zinc. He will grab the rest of it in the AM. Cost was $1 a lb, got about 120 lbs of pipes so far and another 20 lbs of solder and misc soft lead.

When I can get the photo uploader working I will make a post about the organ pipes. Did a bunch of research and it might be of use to folks in the future who find some. Quite a variety available, and most organs likely have different alloys for different pipes.

Thanks again for the help!

Boolit Bub
    looks like the core cavity's from a monotype giant caster but no notch at all
    have it tested could be foundry
    and mono can be 7-15 8-17 9-19 12-24
    mike

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like monotype to me. Mono typically has less tin and antimony than foundry type

Boolit Mold
    Finally figured out the issue. Photos were too big....

Anyhow- looks like monotype to my un-educated eye.

But I do have some other stuff that I have had a while, very small font single letter type, that does have a notch, so guessing I already had some foundry type on hand.

Monotype:

Name:	8CE889A9-5540-49FF-BB63-4FF8B16349E7.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	290192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4B512C94-2C76-4C74-A402-D984C5D99BEA.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	290193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB684DA0-1C0E-4952-819C-3FC87450D847.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	290194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BC2A6DCE-A3D4-4F1C-B5F1-E5178A199B84.jpg 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	290195

Boolit Mold
    And some photos of the organ pipe score as well.

The mottled appearing pipes are supposedly 50/50, the more lead looking one are supposedly usually 70/30. The zinc pipes have small speckles, and appear much more greenish in coloration.

My kid went back for more but realized his sampling was from the attachment pieces or whatever, which were a lead alloy, but most of the remainder of the pipes were zinc. So he cut off the lead/tin alloy pieces and left all the zinc stuff.

I melted down some of the zinc appearing stuff- it acted like zinc, high temp required in the zinc melting range, oatmeal formed.

The info on composition are best estimates based on info I was able to find from multiple sources.

Name:	A749778C-329E-4EF5-B3CE-B83AF5C18706.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	290196Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03D82CB9-9711-4FCB-8C0E-FD2D177F0A99.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	290197Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6C6132A4-4917-45A4-AB0A-6016B1452E37.jpg 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	290198

Boolit Mold
    And am all done smelting WW’s, ended up with maybe 50 lb of COWW as well so smelted them as well.

Went thru all the “babbitt” marked pigs and broken large ingots, nothing to indicate composition on any of it. They all appear similar and home poured. Some type of lead based babbitt.

The small 1 lb size ingots marked “BM” (I presume for Babbitt Metal), their appearance is slightly different. Think that I will remelt all the larger pieces, and repour them into 1 lb ingots, but keep them separated from these BM marked ingots. Then send off a sample from each for XRF analysis later.

Boolit Master

great find!

The cones in coffee can look like they are sprue puddles. What you knock off when the knock the sprue plate open. The depression in the plate becomes the cone and the puddle is the irregular "base". Hard to judge size in picture but I would say a fairly good size mold of some sort. Might suspect pewter because it would need to be a mold with larger capacity and flow but wouldn't expect down rigger weights to be made from a low melting point alloy.

I would melt a ladle full of the individual letter blocks as a representative sample then get a small sample appropriate to the instructions from BNE to test it. Assume the whole bucket is that alloy. As individual letters the form proves the alloy. Melting it only makes sense when using it to make an actual casting alloy. E.G to sweeten some of those WW's into a good rifle alloy.

With that many WW's to turn into ingots as well as some other stuff where the form doesn't ID the material unless you already have molds you may want to look in the vendor section, member there was selling really nice cast boolit molds, 4 cavity that would run around 2.5 lbs each and stack well. Also fit into USPS flat rate boxes well. Prices are very competitive with Lee or RCBS molds and frankly are less work since they are bigger.

I thought I had a picture of the molds, I don't but that is a picture of six buckets of lead WW's converted to the CB ingots and stacked on a Harbor Freight furniture dolly to keep them portable. They slide under a shelf for storage.

Name:	20200202_161903-sm.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	290308

The one bucket had the clips from the smelting. yes i sold them to the scrap yard along with spent primers and worn/damaged brass waste not want not.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast