Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you have to size your brass?

Boolit Master
    one problem I can think of. lets say you load 1000 rounds and didn't run the brass though sizing die. you get a new gun and it might be possible none of it will chamber. I guess im a simple sort of person and the sizing die is in the box for a reason. I just do it like I have for years and the brass lasts as long as it will last.
    357 mag, 38spl, 9mm brass is cheap and very easy to come by.
    there are a couple calibers I might try to get away with such a feat as not resizing brass. 25-20 is one. its very unlikely ill ever get another gun in 25-20. the brass is very thin and fragile and its pretty much impossible to find.

Boolit Master
    if your sizing/decapping with one die why not size?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    if your sizing/decapping with one die why not size?
    I have a separate decapping die I use sometimes, so that isn't an assumption for me.

The thought behind not sizing is similar to the reasons some folks only neck size rifle cartridges: when used in a specific gun, you can sometimes achieve a better fit with the chamber, especially oversized chambers, by allowing the brass to remain expanded. This can result in better accuracy. What I learned from my experiments is what some members have already shared: sizing is necessary to achieve proper neck tension and secure seating even on straight walled cases. At some point I may mess with only neck sizing, but for now I have other levers to pull when looking for accuracy. Never say never though!
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master

I have a 308 Win that I built on a Mauser action that I shoot without resizing the case. The boolit that I use, when PCed, can be seated with lots of finger pressure. I just seat them a little long in the seating die and let them engage the lands when chambered. Works find and minimum or no swaging of the bullet. Range rounds only. If the round enters the chamber, it will be shot. No guarantee that the round would extract intact. If I had to extract a round, it would be with the muzzle straight up. Guess this is a lazy way of reloading since I am eliminating a step or two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12