RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's going to use a 45 colt lever gun or revolver to deer hunt with

Boolit Buddy
    Take care of youself, the woods will be there when you are ready.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Master
    Schreck5; That back problem is not something to take lightly. The Govt. retired me because of it. I was down completely & couldn't walk 3-months & then 3.5 months within 2 years. I was 57 then. Be patient; you can whip this & be back at it again. Never loose Hope, & Never loose Sight. Prayers out for ya right now. Blessings! versa-06

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys for the encouragement. I have been to Mayo in Rochester 3 times. They have just told me to go home, there is nothing more we can do. So now at age 57, I live my life is spent looking out a window. My reloading room is a wreck cause I just haven't been able to get in there. Sorry, didn't mean to ramble on about myself, but figgered yall deserved a "why" to my post.

Thanks, Bruce

Boolit Buddy
    I was retired at 56 with back problems, it takes a while but you'll get back to semi normal life, just hang in there. Prayers sent your way.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Grand Master

Backs will mess up an active life ! May God bless your recovery !
    Revolver.... If not a Dan Wesson 45 Colt then it will be the 475 BFR. Not that either is needed at under 20 yards in the river bottoms we hunt. But being over 70 too much gun is far better.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Schreck5 i feel your pain. Just spent the last 2 months in a similar condition only able to walk from the couch to the bathroom or stand for a few minutes at a time. Felt completely helpless. My wife had to help me in and out of bed . Had back surgery last week and I'm coming along most of the pain is gone but my right leg and toes are still numb and tingling, but i can walk and stand! Wish you good luck and prayers with your back. Have a marlin cowboy, rossi carbine, us firearms , and a ruger vaquero in 45 colt. Still working on my loads with a 250 lee, 275 saa and a 300 gr lee mold. It's the first day of bear muzzleloader here in PA and I'm sitting it out. hopefully I'll be ready to go in November.

Boolit Buddy
    Just thought I'd bring this back up so y`all could give me your updates.

Boolit Master
    Good to hear from you Schreck5, Nil from my end. So far it's one of my worst years yet. Tomorrow is another day. I sure hope your back issues are improving!!!!!

Vendor Sponsor

To be honest I haven't been hunting the last 6yrs b/c I had venison in the freezer that I was having difficulty eating after being treated for tonsil cancer in 2013. Any lean meat just seems to turn into a fibrous ball after chewing and I can't swallow it without risk of choking. I have had 3 or 4 esophageal dilations in the years since treatment, and each one seems to work for a while then the throat closes up and eventually pills will start getting hung so I have to go get another one.

Radiation. Yeah. The gift that keeps on giving! Ugh.. I am getting better and have been able to handle a chicken breast sandwich here and there, that was also off limits for a good while, and I greatly prefer loose, fatty meats or meats with a sauce, they go down easy. Fish with Bearnaise sauce is awesome. I am getting my nerve up about putting some Bambi in the freezer, maybe next year.

I used to use a 45 Colt Vaquero, one year I took two with one shot on my birthday LOL that was pretty cool. I took a lot of deer at close range from my tree stand in thick cover by scouting for a spot where trails intersect and getting above it. I don't need all that power either, full house of H110 under a 320gr RF boolit will kill hell out of deer but it's not necessary. I have a 7 1/2" SBH 44 as well, regulated to the 310RF load with 2400, again overkill and mucho recoil. This one has put more meat in the freezer than any 3 of my other guns combined.

So I have scaled back the power level (and also the recoil) to a medium framed Vaquero chambered in 45 Schofield, the "middle" 45. I worked up some loads in Starline brass and using QuickLoad I came up with an honest 1200fps using an LBT 250gr OWC and still managed to stay right up under 23,000psi. This one is actually fun to shoot. It's snappy but not sharp, it's nowhere near like shooting the Ruger Only 30,000psi loads. It is a whole lot better matched to the game animals and to the range out of a tree stand than the full house large framed Rugers.

OP I guess this still qualifies as 45 Colt if we call it the 45 "middle" Colt instead of Long Colt?

Please forgive the stupid watermark.. I'll fix it when I find a better pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger Vaquero 45 Schofield.jpeg 
Views:	157 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	292019
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-21-2021 at 06:35 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Dougguy, I always wanted to try the Schofield round but never got to it. I do, however, shoot a lot more Schofield equivalent loads.

Well, I shot a deer with my muzzleloader in October. I just finished our general firearms season, and didn’t get a shot. Just at the wrong place at the wrong time. We have a weeklong antlerless season in December, and almost all of January can be hunted with a firearm of one kind or another. So, I am not done by a long shot. I will keep at it.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    I'll get out with mine this coming weekend. With a little luck I'll have something worthy to report. Best of luck to everyone else!

Thanks, Dinny
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12