Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's going to use a 45 colt lever gun or revolver to deer hunt with

Boolit Buddy

Who's going to use a 45 colt lever gun or revolver to deer hunt with

I will not be hunting this year because of severe back probs. I would like to relive your hunting experiences by reading your stories. What loads do you expect to use, self=imposed shooting distance, etc.
    My deer load was going to be a mihec copy of the rcbs 45 270 saa (288gr with my alloy) pushed by a healthy charge of h110 out of a Henry BBS 20in. bbl or a Ruger bisley bh 7 1/2in. bbl and enough red dot to reach ~800fps. out to 50yds. or less. (100 yds for the rifle.)
    Please let me hear about your 45 colt, hunting fun: the loads/rifle/handgun.
    Thanks, Bruce.

Bruce, it seems we have alot in common. First thing, I also have a bad back. I had an operation in Nov. 2018. I missed hunting that year, but have been back at it since. My nephew goes with me, and he is there to help drag anything out. Hopefully, he won’t need to drag me out.

Second, it seems we have the same affinity for the 45 colt, and the same taste in guns. I will be using my marlin 1894, and my ruger bisley for deer hunting this year. My go to load is 18.5 grains of 2400 under a NOE 454-280 WFN. This shoots accurately out of both guns.

I can’t use these until our gun season in November. First up is muzzleloader season which starts next Friday. I have a new inline muzzleloader which I am anxious to use. I will be using the same Noe bullet in a sabot. I hope your back feels better, and I will be sure to update here with any success that I may have.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Mold
    I've used my 45 Super Blackhawk with a 4 5/8 inch barrel for elk but have not taken a deer with it. I used a Lee cast boolit that weighed 316 as cast with 21 grains of WW296 for a muzzle velocity of 1069. The elk had been hit with my 45-70 but I only took out one lung. I followed up with the Blackhawk thinking that I would find him dead. But to my surprise, he jumped from some short pines and ran up hill for the dark pines. It was right at dusk and if he reached the dark pines I would've not found him that night and maybe never.
    One quick shot at about 30 yards put him down for good. Straight down through the back and heart then into the dirt. Then the work began.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Wheelman, thanks for keeping me in mind and hope you have an exciting "connection" with your .45s. Yes, the .45colt is my favorite cartridge. I forgot all about muzzleloaders. Flintlocks are my favorite shooting/ hunting, bar none. So let's hear about those as well.

Strebort, very nice eating elk! The multiple highs and lows you must have experienced in such a short amount of time must have left you absolutely exhausted!
    Thank you both, Bruce

Boolit Master

Attachment 289710Attachment 289711 .45 Colt, 255 grain Lee, 8 grains of Unique. Pedersoli Lightning and a Marlin 1894 CB.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Banner Sponsor

The 45 Colt is one of my all time favorite cartridges.
    The revolver that has gone with me on most of my outings is a 4 5/8" SS Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. I have taken deer and hogs with it and finished off an elk I was tracking.

Boolit Buddy
    My 7.5 inch black hawk will be what I use the most. I have taken several deer with it over the last few years. I'm shooting cast from a mihec 45-270saa clone with 18 grains of 2400

I bought a new Henry BBS in 45 Colt about 4 years ago and scoped it with a 4 x and worked up several loads with bollits and J words then it went back into the safe hiding since. I lived in OH then and have many straight walled rifles to hunt with and the Henry never got the chance to hunt.
    I moved to SE MI this spring and now rules limit me to a straight walled cartridge of 1.8” or less so the Henry has a good chance of getting used this fall. Sadly since my move I have had little time for shooting and need to get back at it soon as deer season will be here soon and I am not prepared !
    This year it looks like I will be hunting public areas and being I am only 1 county north of we’re I previously lived the woods are very similar so the 45 Colt should be ideal as there is little chance for long shots.

The boolit I will probably use is a Lyman 454255 a plain based SWC over a charge of 2400.

Jedman

Boolit Master

I have a 45lc in a carbine length winchester. thinking of swagged speer 250gr soft bullets.

Boolit Mold
    Hello, new guy here! I have a 4 5/8 Blackhawk in 45 Colt , and a 4” Redhawk 45 Colt/45 acp convertible that I’ll hunt with this year. I don’t cast yet, but plan to soon. I’m loading 250 grain cast flat nosed over 18 grains 2400.

Although I have taken deer with a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt I am currently deer hunting with a S&W 4506-1 shooting .45 Super...The load is a 255 grain hardcast at 1020 fps...about the same as the old black powder load for the .45 Colt...

Boolit Buddy
    303, Please remember to post back with your succes story. And welcome to the forum. It is top notch.

Boolit Buddy
    303 hunter thatoad is one I have used to kill several deer. The bullet I use is out of an 1884 mold and weights 260 out of ww. Right at 200 yards is the longest I have shot deer with the load. The handgun I use is a Uberti 1875 Remington style. Good luck and show use pictures of the results.
    Steve

Boolit Master
    303hunter; Welcome to the forum! You'll meet & converse with some really good folks here. & the advice is highly useful, many years of knowledge amongst this crowd.

Boolit Buddy
    I carried my 45 Colt Marlin Cowboy for several years as a second gun in the stand or while checking fences. To date I have taken 8? Axis, 2 wtd, and 1 turkey with it using Lee 255 gr bullet and unique. All taken with 1 shot. One bobcat was removed with a 300 gr store bought cast at a whopping 4? Feet distance. Silly critter walked up to the blind so close I just stuck the muzzle out the window and shot. I did take a wtd with a BISLEY and the 300 gr cast at 50 yards. 45 Colt is not lacking.

Boolit Buddy
    No, but if I had one I would be using it.

I may actually buy a single shot 45-70 or .454 Casull for next year.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm just minutes away from taking possession of a new Henry X Model in 45 Colt. I currently have a H&R 45 Colt Classic Carbine that shoots the Lyman 454424 very well with 10gr of Unique. Equally well, it shoots Hornady's 300gr XTP-STD at 1500fps. Unless someone fell asleep at the machine while making the Henry, it will be the first rifle to hit the woods with me in mid-November. I'll report back any success I have.

Thanks, Dinny
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Boolit Buddy
    I'll be using a stainless 16" Rossi 92 .45 Colt, and will be packing a 4 5/8 Ruger Blackhawk converted to bisley also in .45 Colt, both loaded with the ever popular Lee 255 RF ahead of 8.5 grains of Unique.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Master
    I don't know if I fit in here or not? I'll be using 1885 454 Casull @ approximate 45 LC loads. I know it's not a 45 LC.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you so much guys and gals. I am almost bed bound, getting up to use the bathroom and to eat and maybe sit up for 10-15 min. Anyway, I sure appreciate the responses. Castboolits forum is A+++.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast