WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Is this right?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Is this right?

I’m trying to master a 1866 Chassepot. I almost have the making of the cartridges figured out. What I am wondering now are the sights. Originally the shortest sight setting was for 150 meters. The past owner had the front sight raised so it was zeroed in at 100 meters. He did quite well with it in competitions. At my club the maximum range is 50 meters. When I shoot there, the point of impact is approximately a meter high. Could there be that much of difference in trajectory between 50 and 100 meters?
    I’m shooting a 405 grain boolit with 66 grains of the equivalent of 2F. Just because it is a paper cartridge, shouldn’t it have the similar trajectory as a 45/70? Does a BP 45/70 cartridge have the same trajectory?
    I am considering adding some epoxy paste to the front sight to lower the point of impact. When I do the calculation, it says I need to raise the sight 1.38 cm. (.54 inches).
    Does all this make sense?
    Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    No it does not make sense. Difference in 50 and 100 meters should only be a few inches. Should be close to 45-70 trajectory.