Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Talk to me about a 32 cal rifle bullet .

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell

Talk to me about a 32 cal rifle bullet .

I have a 7.7 Japanese that's some what oversized . I know , shocking , right ?

I need a .320 for the throat and .318 for the groove , so I'm thinking a nice 321??? U will fit the bill here with the fast twist borrowed from the Czars weights on the heavy side won't be a problem to form brass fully out I've begun with , loaded on the bench waiting patiently for a day , some paper patch 311-230 NOE both check shanked and plain based and some 312-155 Lee's .

So I want to hunt the rifle so a flat point is important . It would be nice to get it in the 170-180 class and use it for a 32 Rem as cast too but that is a low priority for this and I think something in the 200 gr class will be better suited .

I'm already in this $70 for a $140 rifle so I'm not too excited about a bushing neck die or an Accurate mould at this point . Maybe if I get a piece of walnut to replace the nailed lam stock and find a deal to refit one of take off barrels .......I can only imagine the confusion of an Arisaka chambered in 7×57 or an actual 308 06' .... None of which is part of the plan today .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I have a 7.92 X 57 Zastava 70 and have had success with the Lee Maximum design and the rcbs 32 - 170 FN . Supposed to have a 323470 Loverin design in a few days. I don’t have a sizer die that small (.320”) but I will be glad to send you some of these if you’re interested.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Thank you Mitty that sounds like a direction to try and a source I hadn't considered . I don't know why I don't ever think about RCBS I have 4 and 3 of them are very useful for me ......

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master
    Ideal/Lyman made many moulds for the 32-40, 32 Spl, and 8mm. You might look at the chart connected at the bottom of this page via Cast Pix, then begin a search for an original or have a new one made by Accurate or one of the other current custom mould makers. How heavy do you want to go? A lot of the old Ideal patterns drop at weights between 175-200 grains.

Froggie

PS you might want to look at the 321232 and 321297 (this one is a little heavier and gas checked.) I have used both in various 33-40s and they cast easily and shoot well.
    Last edited by Green Frog; 10-04-2021 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Add PS
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS 32-170 FN or Lee 175gn 8mm. For hunting cast softish and gas check.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Ideal/Lyman made many moulds for the 32-40, 32 Spl, and 8mm. You might look at the chart connected at the bottom of this page via Cast Pix, then begin a search for an original or have a new one made by Accurate or one of the other current custom mould makers. How heavy do you want to go? A lot of the old Ideal patterns drop at weights between 175-200 grains.

Froggie

PS you might want to look at the 321232 and 321297 (this one is a little heavier and gas checked.) I have used both in various 33-40s and they cast easily and shoot well.
    I have a few @230 patched up to try . Past experiences suggest that 18-1900 fps is about all I'm going to get with bare cast .
    The Lyman/Ideal 321s are tough to find an usually gone about 2 minutes before I can pounce on a verified shape and weight .

I really want to avoid spending as much on a mould as I have in the rifle . A nice 9×57 isn't looking too impractical at this point if it doesn't work out ......

Quote Originally Posted by DonHowe View Post
    RCBS 32-170 FN or Lee 175gn 8mm. For hunting cast softish and gas check.
    I guess I keep getting stuck on my old minimum energy at range ...... I forget that a hog or whitetail under 100 yd isn't elk or mulie above the tree line with 250 yd of white granite flagstone ..........