Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Hodgdon Longshot Powder

Boolit Buddy

Hodgdon Longshot Powder

I've used Longshot for my 10mm for some time now and have been very happy with it's performance. I recently read a post on another forum for the 44 Rem Mag, so I thought I would experiment a bit. My favorite load for the 44 Mag was 23.5 gr. IMR4227 under a 258 gr. cast bullet @ 1380fps. Well, let me tell you that the Longshot is about 100fps. slower, but accuracy was Da' Bomb!!! I was averaging 1287fps. with single digit ES/SD and sub 2" iron sight groups at 50 yds.!!! I then wanted to give the 45ACP a go at it. Well, the 200gr. cast bullets were pushing the 1010fps. realm with 3" groups at 15yds.!!! I'm very happy with the all around performance of the Longshot powder and am glad I can now have one "Do All Powder" for the three primary handguns I load for. The 10mm and 44Mag are solely hunting and fun shooting while the 45ACP is for CC/SD and fun shooting too.

**THE LOADS LISTED ARE SAFE IN MY FIRARMS - YMMV!!!**

.44 Rem Mag / Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter 7.5" barrel
    12.5gr. Longshot, CCI 300LP primer, Starline brass, Accurate 43-255H cast bullet @ 1.615" COAL - 1287FPS.

10mm / Glock G-40 w/KKM 6" barrel
    8.8gr. Longshot, CCI 300LP primer, Starline brass, Accurate 40-200C cast bullet @ 1.255" COAL - 1270FPS.

45ACP / Springfield XD Mod-2 3" barrel
    7.5gr. Longshot, CCI 300LP primer, Win. brass, Accurate 45-225B cast bullet @ 1.155" COAL - 1010FPS.

I am primarily a handgun hunter, my alloy is 50/50 WW and soft lead w/pewter at 30-1 ratio 13/15BHN. Accuracy was above par with all three cartridges, especially with the .44 Mag and 10mm, and I do believe I have found a "GO TO" powder for the mass of what I shoot in handguns!!! Just thought I would share my $0.02 of range time.

It works good for me in 45acp when I get velocity/pressure up into the +P range. Below that the ES spread is noticeable. Obviously you can use LongShot to hit 460Rowland performance.

I tried it in 44mag but found it mediocre, so I stopped fiddling with it. But now that I'm really just wanting a 300gr WFN at ~1000fps, Longshot might just do it.

I've used LongShot successfully in 9mm, 40sw, 45acp and 20ga - it could be my "one" powder in a pinch.

Boolit Buddy
    14.0 gr of Longshot under the 180 gr XTP in the 44 mag makes a terrific small game/predator load.

Boolit Buddy
    I had good luck with it in 44SPC when I want to push them hard.

Boolit Master
    I have good luck with LS in 12 gauge 1.25 pheasant loads. Have not yet tried it in anything else, but that might change!
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master

Its my shotgun slug powder. Versatile stuff!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I have been experimenting with it in 9mm and getting some higher than average velocities.

Boolit Mold
    I use 10.0 gr. under a 287 gr. LBT WFNGC in a 5.5" .44 mag. Ruger Redhawk for 1028 fps. It's accurate and easy on the hands...a good all-around load.

Any loads for its use in the 300 Blackout?

Boolit Man
    This has been sort of wild and amazing that the powder turned out to be so versatile. When I approached Hodgdon concerning the powder, I was trying to duplicate or come close to the results I was getting with Winchester Super Field in MY 12 gauge. I was shooting the 28gauge for a lot of upland Bird Hunting. I really wanted a powder that would give higher velocities than what I was getting. Everything was primarily 1200 fps. I wanted 1400. But knew the pressure might not allow for this. We got 1300- 1320fps and although I was a little disappointed, I knew I would settle for this and hope the patterns would be good. I also knew that the wads available had a lot to do with velocities and patterns. I never dreamed of this powder being so versatile. Especially for the pistol calibers. But Unique was, as well as Universal. I do not use it for much of anything except my 28 gauge. As I have faves that I have used for years. But this is cool. By the way. When Ron Reiber and myself were talking, there was a big misunderstanding. The games I played and HE QUOTED, were and are done with my 12 gauge. After the product came out and the info concerning it, I called and ask that things be corrected. Ron said they would not change it and we had a laugh about it. No big deal. Glad you guys are getting good results with it. I have been told that the smaller calibers it works well with. SO ENJOY....

I use both PowerPistol and LongShot in my .45 Super but with my fav hard cast flat nosed 255 grain LongShot gave the best results...1020 fps from a 5" S&W 4506. It appears to be a little slower than PowerPistol requiring a couple of 1/10's of a grain more for the same velocity...