Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Valdez Is Coming Rifle Caliber

Boolit Grand Master

Valdez Is Coming Rifle Caliber

Anyone know what caliber that rifle is? Is it a 45-70 or what?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

At one time I read it was claimed to be a 50/90 but can't find anything now.

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

not much recoil, I'm thinking 22 short.

Boolit Master

Later, El Secundo asks about the rifle and Valdez confirms it is a Sharps, "My own load,", but I don't recall if he identifies the round.

Boolit Master

What an excellent movie!

Boolit Master
    In the book, it was a 50-90. Shotgun was a 10 ga. Something for rabbits.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master
    Swamp, What was the book and who wrote it? You know he did say in the movie it was his own load, but then he left his brass behind for Ol' Segundo to find. Hollywood!
    Rule 303

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    In the book, it was a 50-90. Shotgun was a 10 ga. Something for rabbits.
    swamp
    I read the book in the mid 70's. That must be were I remember it from.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
    Swamp, What was the book and who wrote it? You know he did say in the movie it was his own load, but then he left his brass behind for Ol' Segundo to find. Hollywood!

Valdez is Coming by Elmore Leonard. I was an Air Force brat in Spain when it was filmed. Most of the spaghetti westerns were filmed there.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    At one time I read it was claimed to be a 50/90 but can't find anything now.

That looks like a great movie. I hope I can find it on a DVD somewhere.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
    Made his own loads - But only used NEW BRASS. Hrump Hrump Hrump.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

The story was originally a short story by Elmore Leonard and later expanded into a book, Just like a lot of Louis' stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

Elmore was a great writer. I forgot somehow that he write that. 50-90 is one of my grails for some reason. If i saw a good condition one at a show im not sure my wife is strong enough to stop me pulling my wallet out

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    The story was originally a short story by Elmore Leonard and later expanded into a book, Just like a lot of Louis' stuff.
    I visited Louis's cabin in AZ before it burned when i was cruising timber over that way. He wrote a book based on The Pleasent Valley War there. Very interesting stuff and what the West was made of.

FYI Plex has the whole movie available. Was pretty good IMO.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

I watched it last month on Amazon. Lancaster's characterization of Valdez was wonderful. Susan Clark was a handsome filly, too.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Leonard is a great writer. He did the books that "Justified" was based off of. Great series.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Ive got an Italian Sharps in 45-70 with a 30 inch round barrel that would be a good cantidate for a rebore to 50-90. Anyone have a sugestion for doing the work.

Bill
    Last edited by wwmartin; 10-07-2021 at 02:07 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    Later, El Secundo asks about the rifle and Valdez confirms it is a Sharps, "My own load,", but I don't recall if he identifies the round.
    Valdez was the second feature with True Grit at the Drive-in low those many years ago. When he was working the hand press and said those immortal words "My own load" I knew what I had to do.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Grand Master

Elmore also did many others that went to the Movies, HOMBRE is my favorite.