Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Non Ethanol Gas Is Cheaper Than Ethanol Blend

Boolit Grand Master

It wouldn't surprise me. I don't think ethanol was originally added for any other reason than to subsidize corn, being as crop farmers without government assistance and insurance would barely break even. It's either that, or a free market would have food prices raise dramatically. Personally I'd rather have a more free market.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I didn't know it was a different variety of corn.

But farmers only have so much land in production.
    If they grow the corn for fuel, it takes away land that could produce the kind we eat, as well as the kind for live stock food.

With less of one kind grown, supply of it goes down, and the price of it goes up.
    It wouldn't exactly take away from the food supply since we over produce it to sell all over the world, but the prices did go up.

Yellow corn is used for livestock feed and to make ethanol. WHITE corn for corn flakes and such, and of course there is sweetcorn which not only is eaten fresh, but also frozen and canned for sale at your grocery store, and we must not forget POPCORN, which is different from all the others.

Have you ever noticed a shortage of corn flakes at the grocery store?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I can tell you right off the bat, Minnesota does not have such a requirement. You can legally purchase, and burn regular gasoline in Minnesota in your car.
    well, as far as Minnesota Law goes, it's allowed to be used in collector cars...but not in modern cars/trucks.
    WITH THAT SAID, it just isn't enforced by anyone. Before a good old fashioned Minnesota cold spell, I usually fill the tank with Non-oxy, cuz when the temperature goes well below zero, Non-oxy starts the car more reliably.

If you read the Non-Oxy sticker on a fuel pump in MN, it'll say, For use "only" in collector cars and recreational small engines...or some sort of wording.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/wp-co...pg?fit=630,630
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

I can honestly say I've never read the sticker on the pump, I've not seen one quite like your link. If it truly is not meant to be sold in MN for new cars and trucks, then they sure make it fine print. It isn't like the off-road diesel, which they practically red tape that pump, there's no mistakes being made there.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    well, as far as Minnesota Law goes, it's allowed to be used in collector cars...but not in modern cars/trucks.
    WITH THAT SAID, it just isn't enforced by anyone. Before a good old fashioned Minnesota cold spell, I usually fill the tank with Non-oxy, cuz when the temperature goes well below zero, Non-oxy starts the car more reliably.

If you read the Non-Oxy sticker on a fuel pump in MN, it'll say, For use "only" in collector cars and recreational small engines...or some sort of wording.

And that is exactly what I thought. My bet is the remaining 6 "must use" states have similar requirements.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Ever hear of distillers grain? That is what is left after the ethanol is extracted. Distiller's grain can be and IS a viable livestock feed. Beef, pork, poultry, etc. The livestock will do as well on distillers grain as it will on regular corn, so NO, we have not lost any of our food. Also, the corn used for ethanol production is not the same type of corn that humans consume, so again, producing ethanol DID NOT take ANY of our food away from us.
    ALthough I'm guessing something edible COULDA been raised on the acreage.

Boolit Master

Bet they do not stain it like off road diesel.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Bet they do not stain it like off road diesel.
    No. There is absolutely no way to tell straight gasoline from gas with ethanol by sight or smell. I've lived this long, and until imashooter2, nobody has every given me any reason to believe that running straight gasoline in a car or truck was illegal. And that's in Minnesota, where they would put child locks on pop bottles if they could.

Boolit Grand Master

Happy to be of service!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

I guess I am old enough I never saw on the internet that you could not eat yellow or field corn till now.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldscool View Post
    I guess I am old enough I never saw on the internet that you could not eat yellow or field corn till now.
    "You've Accidentally Given Me The Food That My Food Eats" - Ron Swanson

Boolit Grand Master

I remember eating "cow corn" when I was a kid. Besides being extra chewy I can't say it did us any harm.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post

I have to say that this is the first time I've heard the Non Oxy thing. I had no idea it refers to Non Ethanol and I didn't know that some states ban it's use in vehicles. I always thought the much higher price for "regular" or straight gas besides being the product of corn subsidzes was intended to persuade people not to use it anymore
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Running non ethanol is legal in most states. It is a taxed fuel. It's sold here in Mi. as a recreational fuel at the pump right next to the corn juice and diesel. I run it through my Mustang when I store it for the salt season. I run it in everything except my cars and truck. It's made a noticeable improvement in my dirt bikes and other small engines. Here's a site to find it close to you;
    https://www.pure-gas.org
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    Never said you couldn't eat it, after all, it is eaten regularly by cattle, hogs,chickens, turkeys, etc., etc.

Boolit Grand Master

As far as I know, all fuel except off-road diesel is taxed. I'm 99% positive that all gasoline is taxed the same despite the grade. The only ones that I'm not sure of would be the 100 low lead (Av Gas), or maybe 110 octane racing fuel if you have it. I've only ever seen straight unleaded gas referred to as "non-oxygenated" in Minnesota, although I wouldn't discount that it is called that elsewhere. I've not seen it called that in any surrounding state. Most states just call it unleaded gasoline.

I stopped at the gas pump last night. $3.09 for 10% ethanol 87 octane. $3.39 for straight unleaded 87 octane gasoline.

Boolit Grand Master

The racing fuel isn’t taxed. Same for Aviation gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Ever hear of distillers grain? That is what is left after the ethanol is extracted. Distiller's grain can be and IS a viable livestock feed. Beef, pork, poultry, etc. The livestock will do as well on distillers grain as it will on regular corn, so NO, we have not lost any of our food. Also, the corn used for ethanol production is not the same type of corn that humans consume, so again, producing ethanol DID NOT take ANY of our food away from us.
    There is only so much land. While growing corn strictly for ethanol may not directly result in less food for human consumption, it lowers what is grown for animals. Farmers are highly subsidized for ethanol grain production. You lose mileage roughly equivalent to the difference in cost. And ethanol DESTROYS most small engines. It eats most plastics that even pure gasoline won't harm.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    $3.55 for ethanol gas (85 octane) and $3.92 for 88 octane straight gas

Boolit Master

$3.79 for 90 octane no ethanol here this morning, filled up my old Land Cruiser.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast