Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Non Ethanol Gas Is Cheaper Than Ethanol Blend

Boolit Grand Master

Non Ethanol Gas Is Cheaper Than Ethanol Blend

I first noticed this about a month or so ago. The 15% ethanol blend gas was more expensive than the non-ethanol. This morning when I filled the truck I saw that the 87 Octane Blend was 10 Cents more expensive than the 89 Octane pure gas.

$3.09 87 Octane 15% ethanol
    $2.99 89 Octane pure gas

Another benefit is that my truck has had the check engine light on for almost 2yrs. Checked it and it is the engine knock sensor. After using non-ethanol for several weeks the light went out.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Wow! I’ll have to check this out. We locally have availability to non-E and use it on power tools, ATVs, boat, and the M38 Jeep! That Ethenol has been tough on diaphragms! Oh, its 90 octane here, too!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cast10 View Post
    Wow! I’ll have to check this out. We locally have availability to non-E and use it on power tools, ATVs, boat, and the M38 Jeep! That Ethenol has been tough on diaphragms! Oh, its 90 octane here, too!
    Let me know on the prices. I'm curious as to whether this is a local thing or not. I'm assuming that the difference has to do with the skyrocketing commodity prices.

Not here in the People’s Republik of NY. Non ethanol is at least .50 more a gallon. I use it in all my small engines and anything with a carburetor.

Moderator Emeritus

I am a FIRM user of non-ethanol petrol in anything and everything other than my Toyota Tacoma truck (or diesel tractor)! However, in my area only Sunoco stations purvey ethanol-free. It is their premium/hi-test, and the going rate is $3.999 USD per gallon, while "regular-grade" Essence sells at $3.399 per U S gallon.
    With lawn mowers, generators, chainsaws (w/ 2-cycle oil added) and similar have OPEN air fuel system motors -- as opposed to vehicles having CLOSED to outside air fuel systems -- they are ever so more able to suck in water from the outside air as well as in other ways degrade quite rapidly. I have gotten "lied to at the pump" where a labeled as ethanol-free pump was not! Within but a few weeks, the chipper I was using STOPPED! Draining the tank, its bottom had a quite creamy substance -- the affects from the ethanol fuel; a rinse and carb cleaning was necessitated !
    Still -- the local repair shop has a $75.00 walk-in minimal repair fee per unit -- I reckon I can pay the 60 cents per gallon more for the ethanol free, plus having the added benefit of the higher octane (which enables engine to run cooler) -- and -- versus even one carb cleaning from using ethanol-added fuel -- be many dollars ahead!
    I envy you/your location with the ethanol free at a lower cost!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

There are a couple of stations that sell non-ethanol. This one that I use most often is a Shell and with my fueler card I get another 5 Cents off. We always pay with Credit Union CC that gives another 5% off on top of that. It's all I use in all of the vehicles along with StaBil Marine in the small engine gas.

This morning I paid $2.99 - $.05 = $2.94 - 5% ~ $2.79/gal Non Ethanol 89 Octane
    Last edited by jonp; 10-03-2021 at 10:30 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Are you positive is was non-Ethanol? Or are you comparing regular 10% to the 15% blend?

We are at $.50 or so more for non-Ethanol over the 10-%.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    The only non ethanol here is premium 91 octane at 50 cents per gallon higher than regular. I haven't had any problems with the ethanol blend but I would rather not use it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Let me know on the prices. I'm curious as to whether this is a local thing or not. I'm assuming that the difference has to do with the skyrocketing commodity prices.
    I don't know the octane numbers off the top of my head, but here in So Central MN prices are like this...
    E15 is $2.88
    E10 is $2.92
    E0 is $3.45
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Are you positive is was non-Ethanol? Or are you comparing regular 10% to the 15% blend?

We are at $.50 or so more for non-Ethanol over the 10-%.
    Don, the pump says "non-ethanol". It could be anything I guess, but doesn't say a lessor blend of some type. I'm not sure how to test it to verify it's what it says as I don't have any glass beakers to look at fuel combination to test it. I might do that. Pour a known amount of water into a beaker or cup. Add gas and see it the known water gets larger which would indicate ethanol as it combines with the ethanol and gas will not. A glass bottle or plastic water bottle would work with two marks on it, one near the bottom and one higher. Fill it with water to the lower mark then gasoline to be tested to the higher one. Shake it up and see if the water level at the bottom mark increases.
    The station is owned by the same people that I get my propane from. Suppose I could ask them this week.
    Last edited by jonp; 10-03-2021 at 12:14 PM.

Boolit Master
    Around here the non-ethanol approached a dollar more per gallon than ethanol 10

Boolit Master

We use AV gas on all our small engines. Mowers, trimmers, roto-tillers, chain saws, water pumps. If we had a 4 wheeler or utility sxs they would get it also.

Higher octane, no alcohol closer than a regular gas station. Many classic cars in our area that don't call for non-lead use it also.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    We use AV gas on all our small engines. Mowers, trimmers, roto-tillers, chain saws, water pumps. If we had a 4 wheeler or utility sxs they would get it also.

Higher octane, no alcohol closer than a regular gas station. Many classic cars in our area that don't call for non-lead use it also.
    I used to use that in my hot-rod Harley. Had to take a lot of timing out of it with anything else. Now no one around here sells it.

There is a lot of hanky-panky going on between the well head and the filler nozzle at your gas station,
    but producing the alcohol and getting it into the fuel blend costs more than just old school straight gasoline.

When it first came out, the blended stuff cost more because alcohol is more expensive than gasoline.
    So gas prices went up.

Then,,,,,,,, the non-alcohol fuel cost more-- if you could find it.
    I guess now days, its costs more to leave it out than to produce & put it in.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I first noticed this about a month or so ago. The 15% ethanol blend gas was more expensive than the non-ethanol. This morning when I filled the truck I saw that the 87 Octane Blend was 10 Cents more expensive than the 89 Octane pure gas.

$3.09 87 Octane 15% ethanol
    $2.99 89 Octane pure gas

Another benefit is that my truck has had the check engine light on for almost 2yrs. Checked it and it is the engine knock sensor. After using non-ethanol for several weeks the light went out.
    Not here, anyway. Filled up this morning. No-ethanol gas was $3.099/gallon, 10% ethanol gas was $2.699. That is at OnCue, and for the 87 octane gas.

Boolit Buddy
    I have to drive to the next county to get non-ethanol gas to use in the yard equip and tractor. About a dollar a gallon higher than the gas with squeezins.

Boolit Grand Master

Around here I'd have to go to the local boatyard to get non-ethonal I would guess. It is not usually locally available except for boats.

That doesn't surprise me since it takes a gallon of fossil fuel to produce a gallon of ethanol. It's a subsidy that comes out of our pocket in taxes that keeps the ethanol boat afloat. It never was cost effective, it was always a complete scam. Pure politics aimed at the corn belt. It also removed food from the plate. A win-win for the evil folks driving this stuff. At least that's my understanding of it.

Boolit Master
    Dont forget the sugar billionaires.....sugar waste to ethanol is nice little profit centre......only catch used to be there was so much surplus ethanol ,price was less than cost of production......not now its in gasoline.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Ha, Try a gallon of pre-mix 50:1 from Lowes,Will destroy a 20 dollar bill.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast