WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Savage 99 from 1904 reloading info request

Boolit Mold

Savage 99 from 1904 reloading info request

Good evening, I'm just starting to reload. I have recently received a savage model 1899 or 99 cambered in .32-40 from my grandfather. I was looking for some reloading help. I have taken the rifle to a gunsmith and they have informed me it is safe to shoot. Lucky me!!!

I have seen seen on various sites people have mentioned using Unique powder, I do not have any of that but have found some IMR 4227. At this point that is all that I have. I thought boolit weights were in the 165 to 185 grain amounts for this rifle.

I would take and help and suggestions to get me going. I'm looking forward to shooting this old family rifle.

Thank you

Banned
    There's a lot of old timers here with years of experience, including loading for your specific rifle and cartridge.

That said, we all learned back in a time before there was an internet. We had gun magazines that published articles with plenty of substance, enough that I figured out how to handload at age 18 just from reading them. When I bought my first tools, a Lyman 310 tool, the gentleman that ran a home based gun shop advised my very wisely. Get a loading handbook and read it. I did, I found 5 and read them all. That was the best advice I was given.

I would give you the same advice, gent a handbook and read everything in it. Not only will you gain knowledge but have data for loading your specific cartridge.

As for tools, you didn't mention what you have, though I would recommend nothing fancy or expensive to begin with. There are some folks who think you must have a Dillon, they are wrong. Start simple, learn the process and what happens at each step of the loading procedure. It is knowledge that will serve you well over time.

Ken

Boolit Mold
    Thank you Ken!! That is great advise. I'm a little jealous of the time you have already put in to have that know-how. I'm arriving really late to the party but better now than tomorrow.

I have several reloading manuals and have read and reread those and you are correct there is so much info there. Each time I read those, there is addition information I missed the time before.

I started to collect supplies about a year ago and just started to reload about 2 months ago. During that time all I could do was research. Sorry I have a Dillion 550C and have reloaded only some 9mm so far. I think for loading any rifle cartridges or this older Savage on a single stage would be the way to go for me. Like you said, keep it simple.

I have been fortunate to have a reloading shop close by and visit them on a weekly basis with all my questions. They have great advise and have directed me to various sources for information. I just thought with something as old as my Savage 99 (serial number 44.231) more info is better for comparison.

Thanks again,

Boolit Buddy
    Mr. 99- The Savage 99 is about my favorite rifle. It has so many features that were decades ahead of its time and some of which are not duplicated even now! One thing I have noted when reloading my rifle is that there is the possibility of cases stretching when fired, which is maybe due to the rear locking system of the 99. So I watch for this possible cause of case failure and use moderate loads. You can find case stretching by observing a shiny ring on fired cases or by using a bent wire to feel if there is a notch forming inside the case near its head (maybe with your rifle and chambering there will be no such problem). I hope you have a lot of fun with your Model 99! Bob

Boolit Master
    Cast bullet loads with 4227 are popular with the 32-40 rifles.
    It has been a favorite with single shot rifles in Schuetzen shooting.
    Usually breech seated with 14 or so grains of 4227.
    But you will likely want to shoot with bullets fixed in the cases, so you would need to go lighter in the powder weight.
    Check the handbooks.

beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    Go online to Hodgdon's reloading
    there is a load listed for fixed cartridge 32-40 with 4227
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Grand Master
    My own 32-40 is a Marlin of similar vintage. Somewhere between 12.0 and 16 grains of 4227 should get you a very accurate load using a 323-470 sized .321 loaded to an OAL of 2.55". Mine preferred 14.5 grains, YMMV.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you all for the information. Appreciate all the help.

Randy

Boolit Grand Master

You have reloading manuals. Please use them. Our information is specific to our rifles and our method of shooting, the manual is establishing a safe load for all such rifles. Rely on that data, please.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    Thank you Wayne. I understand what you are saying. The reloading manuals I have found do not have the load information that I need. That is the information I am trying to find. I have not found a lot of information, so I'm trying to collect as much info as possible to make safe discussions.

Boolit Master
    99Sav
    Here is data for the 32-40 from the LYman No 44 Handbook to include 4227.
    beltfed/arnie
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2420.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	289747

Boolit Master
    99 sav if you don't have a copy of lyman#44 book , send me your mailing address and i will make you a copy of that page out of mine. tdoor4570

Boolit Master
    99Sav
    Very nice of tdoor4570 to offer to print and mail it. But:

You can click on my PIC of the 32-40 data/Lyman 44 handbook,
    then print it out
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Mold
    Thank you guys I really appreciate the help. I will get after it.