RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Substitutes for Small Pistol Magnum Primers

I am about to score 5,000 SPP for $4.50CDN/100. They are made in Bosnia. The last batch we bought were a PITA to prime. Anywhere from 25% to 50% would not seat fully using my Dillon 550B. I ended up seating them with my RCBS Rockchucker. More leverage with the single stage. At that price and given the shortage/pricing of primers my buddy and I decided while a pain to load the pricing was to good to pass on. They work ok in my revolvers and carbines.

This purchase will bring my SPP stash near 10K which should get me through most of next year. Hopefully the Republicans will be polling strong down your way and some of the panic buying will ease up along with the ending of the D version of Covid. There is a light in the end of the tunnel...hopefully it is not a train.

Update got them. with tax and shipping it will work out to about $5.70/100 Cdn. Purelator will have them at my door by Friday.
    Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 10-05-2021 at 03:40 PM.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Given the choice I will only buy small rifle primers for anything needing a small primer. Back off your powder by a grain and work up to a load that is safe and accurate to your satisfaction.
    Super Vel did a test with different primers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGVRGsoOr6k

Boolit Master
    "Brisance" is a term often mistakenly used as a synonym for primer potency (or mistakenly identified by spellcheck programs as not being a real word). Not only is it a real word, brisance actually refers to the shattering effect of the sudden release of energy in an explosion. However, propellant powders are designed to burn with their powder granules intact, not shattered by the ignition of the primer. For igniting propellants, high brisance is an undesirable primer property. For this reason, very small quantities (a maximum of 45 milligrams) of priming compounds are normally used for ignition purposes.

Magnum primers develop hotter and longer flame duration. More "thrust" if you will and hotter thrust. While I love the word brisiance, I had to work it out of my vocabulary for primers. Whilst in the USMC of course, the Gunny would call for a charge with more brisiance and then we would get stuff that would cut through steel like a hot knife through butter! Awesome stuff.

I wonder if the debate between standard primers and magnum primers to ignite BPCR charges exists in the smokeless world. I have not seen too much discussion on the topic like I have in the BPCR theatre. Anybody have anything to share about that?
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 10-08-2021 at 05:10 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12