Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a .45-70 bullet

Boolit Buddy

Recommend me a .45-70 bullet

Any suggestions on a heavyweight, shoot through any pig alive .45 cal bullet to load in a NEF Handi .45-70 single shot? Not sure I am quite ready for Garret 540gr loads, but something hardcast in the 400+ grain realm that I can push around 1500-1750fps.

405s are a favorite.
    However:
    Past 1500 fps, you might have a hard time figuring out which end of your rifle is more dangerous than the other.

If I ever run out of .45-70s with 405FPs, and reload another big batch, I'll be getting a 350 gr. mold for them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I like the NOE 460-350 RF. I'm sending them around 1900 fps and it is a solid load and is very accurate.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’m a fan of big heavy boolits as long as the distance is not that great. I think I have all the Lee molds for 45/70, but use the 500 grain the most. I stopped hunting a few years ago, so I haven’t tried it out on any of the local hogs, but what it will do to a small tree is impressive. Otherwise, go with the 405 grain. It’s certainly the most popular for close range.

Boolit Bub
    I use the 515gr Postell with pure lead but @ about 1200 fps. Penetration and expansion are both impressive. With bigger bores its not the speed that does it. IMO slower MV and softer bullets is better.

Edit to add i use mine in an H&R 45-70 and a Buffalo Classic reamed out to 45-90

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wansingct; 10-03-2021 at 11:15 AM.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    First what is hard cast because the definition of anything but tin in the lead is hogwash because 50/50 WW/pure air cooled is about the same hardness as 16-1 lead tin E Keith used developing the 44 mag .

Next up a 265 gr RNFP at 1050 fps will run right through 3 ft of pig at powder burn ranges and about 2 feet through ribs and shields of a 150# example at 50 yd .

Even the 500 gr FP 45-500 RCBS will carry 1000 ftlb past 250 yd with an 1100 fps start .
    So choose your freight train/sledge hammer .

With that after 8 different bullets loaded from "that's fun to WTH were you thinking" from 196 -535 , greased , and paper patched , I can say the 458193 plain base is the most alloy , powder , load level flexible bullet I've used . Its more or less an original version of the Marlin 45-70-405 design . It just works and does so from 1000 to 1800 fps MV in an 1875 action 1886 Trapdoor to a 2010 made 1895G Marlin .

I would think a load of 12-14 gr of Unique for about 1200 fps would be plenty for any hog under 900# with about any alloy . WW water cooled in a 405 at 900 fps impact probably won't pass through over 45 feet of hog and will almost certainly break 1 if not both shoulders .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

I'm not 'recoil sensitive' by any stretch of the imagination but I do find anything much stouter than the original 45-405-55 (approx. 1150 fps) load somewhat less than 'comfortable' when fired from my reproduction Trapdoor carbine and it's considerably heavier than your Handi-Rifle. Seriously, during the 1870s, there were an awful lot of buffalo (and any other North American big game animal you can name) dropped with the 1300 fps/405 gr. BP loads and I don't believe feral hogs have evolved too much tougher since those days.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Moderator Emeritus

I like NOE's copy of the Lyman 457393 RN GC
    I'd think a 383gr RN with a healthy charge of powder would shoot through a pig?
    Now, I'm not sure why you want to shoot through the pig?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    A good 500 grain flat point bullet
    Or a good 400 to 420 grain flat point. My choice would be a 500 grain.
    I have used a 515 grain in a Marlin lever gun and a Uberti 1874 Sharps and a Buffalo Classic.

Boolit Master
    I got a mold from N.O.E.and it had done a darn good job.

It weights a hair under 400 but hits like a heavyweight.

Have shot it in the 45-70 as well as the 458 SOCOM,easy to get it to shoot and it does not use a gas check.

Boolit Master
    I've been using the RCBS 45-405-FN for about 40 years. It drops at about 420 grains with my alloy, which is close to air cooled COWW. This is a nice gas checked design that does everything well. It has good accuracy and good hunting ability. Every deer that I've shot with it dropped right on the spot, and I believe that it would most likely penetrate clear through any pig. I'm using a replica 1874 Sharps so 1400 fps is a top end hunting load. Target and practice loads can be around 1200 fps for less recoil.

The O.P. is using a NEF Handi rifle, which is a very light weight rifle indeed. The recoil on this with a 400 + grain boolit might be a little punishing. For that particular firearm, and pig hunting, you might be better off with a 300 grain boolit. If you prefer a heavier projectile you might want to put a quality recoil pad on your stock. The key to a good hunting rifle is to make it easy on you, and hard on your game.

I can tell you from first hand experience that a 300 grain hard cast, powder coated projectile pushed by 14 grains of unique (light load) will completely pass through a 230lb hog at 65 yards.

Boolit Master

You're going to get a lot of votes for the RCBS 405-FN-GC as a consistently accurate out of nearly anything option as a good balance of killing meplat vs. nose taper for aerodynamics.

If you want pure blunt force trauma, NOE has several 400-ish grain options with meplats in the .330"-.340" range.

I won't be the last to tell you this - you don't need to throw bullets like these super fast for them to perform. Bison nearly went extinct from .45's at velocities in the 1200-1400 fps range. If you're trying to flatten your trajectories, there are far less abusive cartridges to take you there than creeping up on "Ruger #1 Only" .45-70 loadings.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Bub
    One of the reasons I use the Postell design for the heavies is to increase penetration with the momentum its carrying, but I go to a softer alloy to compensate for the lower MV so I still get solid expansion.

Deer only get flat or hollow points. Postells are only for targets and thick skinned/stubborn things.

Quote Originally Posted by jason280 View Post
    Any suggestions on a heavyweight, shoot through any pig alive .45 cal bullet to load in a NEF Handi .45-70 single shot? Not sure I am quite ready for Garret 540gr loads, but something hardcast in the 400+ grain realm that I can push around 1500-1750fps.
    what's your bore slug out too? I have some lubed and sized....458..bullets I could give you some to try. the weights range from 380-435 with large meplats
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick459; 10-04-2021 at 08:57 PM.

Attachment 289700 The best I have used in my 1895 Marlin CB is the 405 gr with a gas check from Accurate Molds. It is the 2 on the right and they are # 405A in the catalogue. Shoots great at any speed in my rifle, when I do my part.
    Last edited by murf205; 10-04-2021 at 10:00 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I would go as light as possible because at these sizes, you will run out in a hurry.

Boolit Mold
    Lots of great advice here. Something you might look at as well. Have a dead mule installed in your stock. When done correctly, it will help reduce recoil. Then you can play with the heavy boolits and enjoy them.

Boolit Buddy
    A Lyman 405gr. with 13gr. of trail boss penetrated a 130lb doe lengthwise for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast