Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Identifying this sliding lever

Boolit Buddy

Identifying this sliding lever

Hi everyone,

I am trying to build a decapper and I stumbled upon this video and was wondering if anyone has a clue about how the T looking rod on the bottom
    is made to slide back and forth. I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the T lever go forward like that. I know the spring pulls it back
    to the starting position. I can see that the lever is hit when the motor travels up and then it slides forward (maybe at an angle), I tried prototyping
    the piece with some wood but that's not working. Has anyone done something like this and can explain how to make this.

Thanks.

https://youtu.be/6Zz3-xmbIJ4?t=284

Boolit Master
    I'm guessing that there may be a cam hiding on the underside of that press. Either that or a smaller wheel with an eccentric like as shown on the front. Other than that the slide is captive by the two plates on either side and the spring pulls it back. Timing wouldn't be hard to do. Frank

You'll need a pretty big screen to see it, but at 2:31, there is a red lever that actuates it, and spring to pull it back.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I looked at that video so many times that a cam does make sense. There seems to be a slot at the bottom of the plate at certain parts of the video and it could have some bearing on the bottom.

When you look at this video I wonder how these people are making theirs slide while its flat on a table. I really would like to figure out how to get the slide action without having a hole on the
    underside.
    https://youtu.be/bi1WA1A92j0?t=7

If you guys have any ides please let me know, I really want to figure this out and its a bit difficult since I am not a machinist.

Boolit Master

The ram on the upstroke is hitting the lever that comes forward. Imagine an upside down "L" shaped lever. The lever is pivoted at the 90 degree corner. Push up on the short side of the "L" and long side must move forward around the pivot point. The long arm will move in an arc which would put an upward force on bullet/shell carrier. This can be eliminated by putting a wheel on the carrier so all the force is linear to sliding the lever. The return of the carrier is by a spring.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    The ram on the upstroke is hitting the lever that comes forward. Imagine an upside down "L" shaped lever. The lever is pivoted at the 90 degree corner. Push up on the short side of the "L" and long side must move forward around the pivot point. The long arm will move in an arc which would put an upward force on bullet/shell carrier. This can be eliminated by putting a wheel on the carrier so all the force is linear to sliding the lever. The return of the carrier is by a spring.
    vw10923 seems to be correct. If you watch and then pause at 04:44 you can see the upside down L mentioned. There also appears to be hex bolts on the up/down slide arms that go into a cone shaped cup for timing and alignment purposes I think. So the up/down slide engages the L and forces the horizontal slide forward. As it drops the springs draws it rearward. I suspect the bottom of the upside down L has a shallow slot so the pivot pin/slide can move back and forth without lifting the slide.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan