Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning before PC

Cleaning before PC

New guy mistake…..I forgot to leave gloves on and touched each bullet after casting. Should I clean before PC, and if so, with what.

THANKS!

Boolit Master
    Looking forward to the answers on this one. I haven't ever used gloves when handling boolits under any circumstances, PC or not, and I haven't had any adhesion issues that I know of, but if others have better accuracy or something as a result of precautions then I might give it a shot.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master

Unless you had some solvent or grease on your hands, miniscule skin oils are not a concern, IMO. I don't wear gloves at any stage of my bullet handling before or during PCing.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

I use oderless mineral spirits to clean sizing lube off but don't worry about finger prints.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cast10 View Post
    New guy mistake…..I forgot to leave gloves on and touched each bullet after casting. Should I clean before PC, and if so, with what.

THANKS!
    Hello cast 10.

If your hands are clean and dry when you touch the bullets should be no problems.

Put some clean nitrile gloves on and it'll save you time to clean your hands later when you decide to eat or smoke cigarettes or drink.

If your hands are dirty from repacking wheel bearings and making a finger painting masterpiece, then you touch the bullets there may be some problems with powder coat adhesion.

If you are eating chicken drumsticks while you are inspecting the bullets...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks all! Hands were clean, was just inspecting boolits after casting. I’ll move ahead with PC!

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cast10 View Post
    Thanks all! Hands were clean, was just inspecting boolits after casting. I’ll move ahead with PC!
    You forgot pictures!!

Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    You forgot pictures!!

I hope you didn’t mean My Hands! LOL

https://imgur.com/a/gxvkdhK

Boolit Master

Cleanliness is quite important with PC. Everyones hands and the amount if oils produced or present changes. This is the reason its generally accepted that we NOT tough our PC bullets.

I use a table spoon and cotton towels on all surfaces. Then metal baskets to warm, transport & sift off excess powder. Even contaminates quench water can cause issues. So use clean containers and new water for each batch.

I have had luck cleaning off lube from bullets using a few solvents. Always followed with hot soapy water and multiple flushes with clean water.

Best course is not to contaminate in the first place.

Good luck

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

I'll add that I use fresh nitrile gloves with each
    PC batch. Each casting session starts with a clean towel to drop bullets onto.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned

I don't wear any gloves to PC my pills. I just make sure my area is clean and clear of anything that could contaminate the boolits. I have never had any problem with adhesion or leading.

All good advice! My first two PC sessions, I wore gloves and they came out good. Today, well, not so good. It coated, but thin. I was not pleased. I stopped at 80 bullets with the last 20 coming out acceptable. I’ll check them tomorrow and see what I’m gonna keep. Plenty more to PC.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Unless you just a Philly cheese-steak sandwich and did NOT wash your hands, the small amount of body oils on clean hands will not cause you much problems. I have handled pre-baked slugs many times with no problems.

Depends on your body chemistry!

Just use forceps in the future like I normally do.

Thanks Jim!

I don’t know what the issue was. Looked over all the boolits this morning and about 14 were unusable. 66 good.
    It’s kind weird that powder was kinda klumpy on the boolits. Light and dark coverage. When it was baking (20min at 400) they looked good. When I went up to 30 minutes it was much better.

9mm boolits; I did 30 in a batch, 30 in a batch, and 20 in a batch. Smokes suggested TwistLoc containers.

I may have put too much powder in…..not sure. The boolits that I deemed good enough to shoot were almost a transparent coating. I could see spots of lead but it had a seal over it, if that makes sense. I couldn’t scrape any off and the hammer test passed fine. It was Smokes Green Yellow. My first go with that color.

Boolit Master
    I generally try and avoid touching lead but it happens occasionally without any detriment.

I saw a couple of posts years ago with people blaming contaminants so I started a thread awhile ago about the wide variety contaminants I tested while doing shake and bake PC. Rinsing in river water, salt water, saliva, rolling in dirt all had no effect on PC adhering. I’m still using the same oil stained rag mentioned in the thread to drop bullets on when casting.

Humidity can have an impact when using some of the cheap PCs out there.

Thanks red!

Boolit Master
    I have had problems with powder sticking if I handle the bullets too much before coating, especially on the hot summer days out here. For reference I handle the rifle bullets quite a bit before PC. Inspection (sometimes weighing), nose size, seat gas check, body size then PC.

My solution is to put them in a container with some acetone and roll it around a bit.

FWIW, I do not cast tons at a time, maybe a couple hundred. Small batches compared to some of the pistol shooters.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Be careful to keep humidity from getting to your powder. Squeeze all air out of plastic bags before tying off. I always double bag. Desiccant bags added to powder are a plus. The amount of care needed to keep the powder dry depends on where you are and the average humidity. No reason to take a chance, even with high quality powders, humidity has negative effects.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Be careful to keep humidity from getting to your powder. Squeeze all air out of plastic bags before tying off. I always double bag. Desiccant bags added to powder are a plus. The amount of care needed to keep the powder dry depends on where you are and the average humidity. No reason to take a chance, even with high quality powders, humidity has negative effects.
    Yessir! I do and store in the house. I’m believing my problems were high humidity and possibly too much powder.

Boolit Master

Now your gettin it!!

About humidity, definitely a factor but mot just because there is "humidity". I have coated perfect bullets @ 100 plus degrees and in down pours!! BUT, as repeatedly mentioned and its very important. Remove all extra air from the storage bags and DOUBLE bag the raw powder.
    Use MINIMAL
    POWDER, and think of it as a consumable. If you save it in the mixing container and see issues. Dump and clean container and try over. This should "fix" the issues.

Warming the bullets ontop of the oven is one last tip I use and one I feel helps allot.

Good luck guys

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast