Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Standard Double Nine revolver

Hi Standard Double Nine revolver

I was at a gun store today and they have a Double Nine revolver in 22 cal. for sale.
    It’s nickel plated with a 5 1/2” barrel and black grips, one problem the double action pull does not work ? The gun is in great condition otherwise and it still has the original box also.

To me it looks to be very good quality and I looked and parts are available for them so what are your thoughts on these revolvers ?

I know a few out there must have one ?

Jedman

High Standard and H&R were the unofficial boys revolvers in Southern Illinois in the 60's and 70's for those without the means to buy a Ruger.

They were inexpensive but pretty good guns for what they were. Lots of nostalgia there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a couple of Sentinals and am happy with them. They differed greatly in the interior works and I assume the Double 9's did as well. Great shooters if you can tackle the problem yourself. I would go for it if the price was right.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

It may be that you simply aren't strong enough to pull the DA trigger. They are pretty stiff pull. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master

Sounds just like my grandpa's pistol, which I now have. Love those old double 9's. Great shooters and tough as nails. My dad still has his that he got as a boy, blued with stag grips.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    It may be that you simply aren't strong enough to pull the DA trigger. They are pretty stiff pull. jd
    Yes I have read that the double action pull is quite stiff but the store that has the gun says “ AS IS “ and they want $ 299 for it. Looking it over it seems every bit as nice as my Ruger single six was in quality but wonder if the timing is good with a 9 shot cylinder ? I want to know as much as I can about it before I decide to make a offer on it.

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger Wrangler new for $200 vs old pistol that does not work for $300?

Quote Originally Posted by beshears View Post
    I didn’t realize that I didn’t list that this gun works fine as a single action. This gun store that has It does shoot all used guns if possible before putting them for sale and they do stand behind used guns if you have a problem for a short time after the sale. I did discuss with them about it firing and they say it’s being sold as is because of the double action problem and to me I would not use it as a DA revolver anyways.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    My father has one that he bought in college from a roommate, it's always been a solid revolver. It never would fire in DA when I was growing up, I took it apart when I was in highschool (in shop class......) and did a thorough deep cleaning - voila' the issue was built up crud and complete lack of maintenance. It still shoots well!
    Which model are you looking at? This one is a Sentinel I believe.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beshears View Post
    This right here. Unless there is a particular reason you want the Double 9, buy a Wrangler and be happy. I love mine.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I've known two guys with Double Nines and they swore by them. They shot ok, the single action look with double action and 9 shots was kind of cool along with the stag plastic grips. Get it and fix it or just shoot it single action like you said.
    Oh, and get a Wrangler too. I keep wanting to pick up another one!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    Yes I have read that the double action pull is quite stiff but the store that has the gun says “ AS IS “ and they want $ 299 for it. Looking it over it seems every bit as nice as my Ruger single six was in quality but wonder if the timing is good with a 9 shot cylinder ? I want to know as much as I can about it before I decide to make a offer on it.

Jedman

Not as good as the Ruger, at least not in my opinion. I had a couple of Sentinals. They were fairly accurate nice shooters. One needed a new hand installed, which I did in an afternoon. The hand required extensive fitting to install, as most parts on older guns do. They are nice Guns, but defiantly not very durable in the long run. I certainly would not pay $299 for one that needs work.

Boolit Master

I had always wanted one of the Double - Nines since I was a young teenager. I never did really go on a search for one, as other things seemed to take up my time. One day in about 2013 I was driving by a local pawn shop. I stopped in, with no intention of buying anything in particular. Walking over to the handgun display case, there it was. A really pristine Double - Nine with stag grips and manufactured in Hamden, Connecticut. There was a H&R top break 22 right next to it. I ask to see both of them. After checking the bore, working the actions, and checking the fit, finish and function of each, there wasn't any question on which revolver was the better quality. The HS D-N functioned far better than the H&R. It locked up tighter, timing was good and overall function was very good. So 310.00 out the door and it was mine. Out at the range a few days later, was a great day. The Double-Nine shot extremely well, and function was flawless. This particular model was manufactured in Dec. 1966 thru Mar. 1970. Mine is a 1966 vintage. I didn't care for the original stag grips, so I found a pair of the original ivory grips and replaced them. I had seen other Double-Nines fired extensively double action, and there were firing pin (hammer) marks in between the chambers probably from missed timing during fast double action shooting. I do not shoot double action, as I really see nothing positive coming from it. Good luck with you endeavor Jedman.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

I have learned over the years of buying guns that there are some that when you find them and are sure of what you are buying you had better buy them right then and there and others that you go home and give it some time to think over and do some research on before buying. A lot of times those are gone soon after and I feel that someone else needed it more than me so I made the right decision.
    This revolver just struck me as a cool reminder of my younger years when I wasn’t old enough to buy a pistol and even the box it comes in is really �� cool. I have owned many Ruger revolvers including a single six convertible, a security six in 357 and a red hawk in 44 mag and they all worked flawlessly but they are now gone so I guess I didn’t love them that much after all ?
    I know revolvers can be finicky as I have owned some that were just not right when you fired them DA or didn’t time well when cocking so they are all not as reliable as my Rugers have been. When I was 18- 19 years old I bought a new Ruger security six and my buddy bought a Colt python for more than twice what my Ruger cost and he had to send it back to Colt twice in the first year we owned are guns and I never had a problem with mine.
    So even the Python was kind of a PITA and was a expensive gun.
    I am watching a couple of double nines on Gunbroker and a couple already have bids quite a bit higher than $ 300 and there is one in the box that looks exactly like the one I am interested in being offered by Joe Salter for $ 495 opening bid. He will not get anybody to bite on that one unless someone just has more money than brains so I will think on this one for a while and IF I do go back to dicker on it it will certainly be for less than the asking price.

Jedman

If you wind up with it please keep us posted on your progress.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    That would be a tough one for me to convince myself to buy.
    They run 300-500 for the most part on Gun Broker, but buying and fitting or having fitted parts for a fixer upper runs that up considerably. I fear I would have to pass on that one.

They were the High Standard top of the line revolvers and priced accordingly. They had several versions, including convertible 22 LR/ 22Mags. IME, they weren't all that accurate, with rough, heavy triggers being the order of the day. In 1973, a new one cost just about the same as the 22 LR Colt fixed sighted single actions (75-80 bucks) or the Ruger Super Single Six. In fact, you could buy a Colt Huntsman or a Browning Nomad for the same money at the PX back then. I bought a Ruger Single Six convertible for about 10 bucks less. (And 10 dollars meant something to me then). A Lance Corporal didn't make all that much. $324/mo., IIRC. So 10 bucks was a days pay, give or take...
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    My Dad had one .......I never knew until about 10 minutes ago that it was a DA ......

Nice pistol although it's been 20 yr or more since I handled it . Sounds like it's a candidate for the full immersion CLP bath and work program .

It may be the one that finally pushes me to build the 8×8×40 ultrasonic tank with fryer baskets . You know so you can just pull the wood/grips and basic field strip and drop in the whole gun for 8 hr and towel dry it squeaky clean . They're handy for heavy fouling also .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Moderator Emeritus

I think for not much more you can get one on an auction site. Hard pass unless the first number starts with a one.

I bought a R-106 a few years back to improve some parts from a R-103. Not much swapped over. They are usually accurate but a gunsmith and parts will put that at over $500. They are not S&W's.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would definitely see if you could get it for less. $300.00 is a lot of money for a revolver made by a firm no longer in business and has something wrong with it. I can think of dozens of ways I would rather spend that amount of money.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    My very first handgun was a High Standard Sentinel Deluxe Snub. I loved it then and wouldn’t give it up today. For any given model number, the internals of the “Western Style” and the more modern style was the same... the exterior styling was purely cosmetic. When working and in good shape, they were economical, dependable guns, but I’m not sure I’d spend that much today on a gun that old, now long discontinued, and in need of repair. Parts kits show up regularly on the big auction site, but by the time you invest that much in the gun, buy the parts, and do (or pay for) the repair work, the end price will be way out of line. A “project gun” should come cheaper!

Froggie

PS I should have mentioned that my High Standard was acquired in a trade in 1971, and it was several years old then. AFAIK all of the High Standard 22 revolver frames were made of aluminum alloy with steel barrel and cylinder and mostly internal parts. They were quite durable for the time, but wear and tear over half a century are bound to have taken their toll on guns that were actually used (and abused.)
    Last edited by Green Frog; 10-04-2021 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Add PS
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast