Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Basic rebarrel

Basic rebarrel

So I got a old sporterized M1917. Dad bout it at a pawn shop a while ago gave it to me because he never really messed with it. Any way I got it shooting ok but would really like to put a new barrel on it. It's kinda my primary long range rifle and would just like a a more....fitting I guess you could say , looking barrel. Possibly just a decent fluted semi bull or similar. Dont really want some fancy kregier barrel or something ,just a decent one I can play with .Was curious what's the average price for a basic rebarrel ?
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Buddy
    Gunsmith will be around $250 labor plus cost of barrel, barrel prices vary on manufacture fluted usually adds $100 or more.
    Easy to spend $500 or way more Total
    Plus stock work if channel needs opening up.
    Last edited by Adam20; 10-01-2021 at 03:11 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Douglas and shilen make good barrels that are mid range price wise.

Boolit Master

You might think about sending it over to J.E.S. It would be a great rifle in 338 Federal or 35 Whelen.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Banned

I’d shoot it first to see how it shoots! It may surprise you!

Boolit Master

CMP has them for sale.

https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/065CRI/1917

I believe they also provide gunsmithing services too.

Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    You might think about sending it over to J.E.S. It would be a great rifle in 338 Federal or 35 Whelen.
    Dont down grade to the 338 Federal. WAY better of going with 338-06. Mine runs neck and neck with 338 win mag

Boolit Buddy
    In my opinion, Shaw barrels installed are about as reasonable as any

Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes, trying to make a silk purse out of a Sow's ear is just a waste of money.
    Especially if your sportized war horse is working 'ok' now.
    ...and you can buy a decent new bolt action rifle that'll likely shoot better out of the box for about half the price of the silk purse conversion.
    That's my 2˘

Now, if you are thinking of doing the work yourself as a learning project, the price of tuition is surely worth it!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Rebore to .338 Federal is out because it's already the longer 06 chamber. The 1917 barrel is already a sporting type profile minus the front sight( no steps like Mausers have).
    If Jes will do it, the .338-06 will give you long range.
    Got pics?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Banned
    Hey take that old war horse out after a good cleaning and run some different weight cast through it I got one that shoots darn good with a 165 try it first it might really surprise you.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    JES will rebore your existing 30 cal bore / barrel to 35 cal ...thus converting your 30-06 to a 35 Whelen . I get the impression you like the 30-06 cal. but you don't like the military barrel ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I agree with those telling you to shoot it first, and if it does well, just keep it as is. I had a bubba special given to me some 25 years ago, the receiver was hacked ad the stock butchered, the bore though showing strong rifling looked like a sewer pipe. I spent weeks scrubbing with slow progress, finally decided to shoot it. It grouped amazingly well, and continues to do so.

From what I remember of the M1917/P14 Enfields, many of the barrels were cranked on so tight a relief cut needs to be done just ahead of the receiver to remove them. Your woes don't stop there if I remember correctly, they also use a coned breech like a pre-64 Winchester M-70 and require a cut for the extractor. They ain't common Mausers or Remington 700's where it's screw one off and another on, finish the chamber and head space. Labor alone may be cost prohibitive.

I believe they're 25'' barrels. If it shoots good, maybe have an inch taken off and recrowned if the front sight is offensive to you.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Sometimes, trying to make a silk purse out of a Sow's ear is just a waste of money.
    Especially if your sportized war horse is working 'ok' now.
    ...and you can buy a decent new bolt action rifle that'll likely shoot better out of the box for about half the price of the silk purse conversion.
    That's my 2˘

Now, if you are thinking of doing the work yourself as a learning project, the price of tuition is surely worth it!
    Meh ,it's just what I like doing what can I say, more rewarding to me then just buying something off the self.
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Rebore to .338 Federal is out because it's already the longer 06 chamber. The 1917 barrel is already a sporting type profile minus the front sight( no steps like Mausers have).
    If Jes will do it, the .338-06 will give you long range.
    Got pics?

O she shoots pretty decent. 1.5 MOA gun all day long keeps round son the plate at 400 pretty easy
    I keep trying to up load a pic but keeps say it's too big
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

I like the "British Mauser", it's a big old action for sure. I had ER Shaw rebarrel an Eddystone P14 to .450 Marlin around 15 years ago and I want to say it was around $350 total. Of course it will be more now. Mine was a regular steel un fluted barrel- fluting and stainless cost more.
    Give them a call, I've used several of their barrels and they have all been good.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Meh ,it's just what I like doing what can I say, more rewarding to me then just buying something off the self.
    OK, I can understand that. I guess I obviously missed a comment in your OP (highlighted below), which if I closely read it, I would have understood your plan a little better ...by bad.

Hey, what about a better trigger too?
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod82798.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    So I got a old sporterized M1917. Dad bout it at a pawn shop a while ago gave it to me because he never really messed with it. Any way I got it shooting ok but would really like to put a new barrel on it. It's kinda my primary long range rifle and would just like a a more....fitting I guess you could say , looking barrel. Possibly just a decent fluted semi bull or similar. Dont really want some fancy kregier barrel or something ,just a decent one I can play with .Was curious what's the average price for a basic rebarrel ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I just had JES rebore my Springfield to 338-06. It is a great cartridge. His work is outstanding. Easy cartridge to load. It would be hard to go wrong doing that. On the plus side it doesn't result in any work to the stock.

CA Dude