Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 22 Round Ball for Airguns

Boolit Master

22 Round Ball for Airguns

As far as I can tell there are no 22 round ball molds made anywhere in the world now. I would like to propose a Group Buy for an 8 cavity MP mold, .224" Round Ball. GhostHawk has reported some good accuracy with his Sharpshooter USA RB mold but that is no longer being made and none on the bay. Comments? Suggestions?
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

If it was me I'd go to .223.

Good luck.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    If it was me I'd go to .223.

Good luck.
    Thank You! I should get some gauges. Pellet skirts seem to be .224" and the heads .215".
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

A .224 round ball would be too large for airgun barrels.... It would be very likely to get stuck, or at the minimum provide low velocity compared to its ~ 16 gr. weight.... Airgun barrels run anywhere from 0.217" to 0.221" groove diameter.... Pellet skirts are oversize, they crush down on loading and then expand to fit the bore when the air hits them.... You could try # F shot, but dropped shot varies so much in diameter you will likely be disappointed.... Perhaps you could get a mould for them?....

Bob

I think I still have some H&N copper plated .22 round balls yet.(for airguns) I'll see if I can mic them to see what the diameter is.

Boolit Master
    I'm not impressed with the accuracy of the .22 round balls I recently purchased.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gamo-Roun...2-Cal/49334274

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/g...ls-250ct?p=610

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    I'm not impressed with the accuracy of the .22 round balls I recently purchased.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gamo-Roun...2-Cal/49334274

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/g...ls-250ct?p=610
    I am not surprised...but would you share your accuracy results? It would shed some light on the subject as I doubt a cast round ball would shoot better the commercial RBs you used.

For some folks, a 3/4'" group at 20 ft may be all they need to plink in the basement or garage. If they enjoy casting, it would help address if cast pellets are a good fit before investing $100+ on a mold. From the research I have done to date, casting for air guns does not meet my needs.

BTW, Ghosthawk sent me a link on the weekend. Amazon had Crosman pellets on sale. I got 2000 got $26.44 delivered. Just checked and the sale is over. There was a limit of 4 tins or I would have order a lot more.

I will keep checking air gun retailers and Amazon to stock up on pellets for next year. Pyramyd Air has a 15% off promotion until the end of the year, and Air Guns of Arizona has a buy 3 and get one free promotion on select offerings. I expect more sales as winter sets in and demand drops.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    I would be game for a mold to cast RB in .22 cal for my Crosman 600s.

Boolit Bub
    Mal Paso,

Have you slugged the bore on the air rifle you will be using them in?

Sorry, I didn't realize how old this thread was. Did anyone ever find out about the molds? Oops

I have no idea if it would work for an air rifle, but I have run #4 buck through a push through sizer to get to 224 and shot it in a 223 rem with mediocre results. You end up with a pill shaped projectile with a flat on one end. The lee mold makes a pile of #4.