Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HEADS UP! We were just notified of factories retooling packaging lines (SHRINKFLATION

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    You wish..............back during Carter's administration it was easy to get 10-15% interest on CD's. Can hardly get half a percent, these days. Use to pay cash for a new vehicle, every five years, just on my bank interest.

Winelover
    Yeah....and I had a mortgage at 16% too.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master

I wonder how big all the packages will shrink to in 3 1/2 years .
    16 ounce cans of stuff like tomatoes went to 15 3/4 ozs, then to 15 1/2 ozs , then 15 ozs , then 14.75 ...
    the can of Diced tomatoes I bought Saturday ... 14 1/2 ozs !
    When does it stop ... 2 oz. cans ?

5 pound bags of sugar went to 4 pound bags ... I'm afraid to look at them now .
    I used to make a lot of Jams and Jellies for the holidays and had my recipes based on a 5 pound bag of sugar ... had to go and recalculate every blessed one ... what a pain ... I don't like doing math .
    Looks like it's still 4 pound bags at wally mart ... Today !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Hog on the ground. One shot one kill. Cajun sausage. Nothing better. No inflation here. Renewable resources. Hunting season beckons....
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Yeah....and I had a mortgage at 16% too.
    Different strokes for different folks. Never had a mortgage........paid cash for the both houses I've owned. Never paid one red cent in credit card interest, either. It's all about priorities.

Winelover

Boolit Master

Went to Wendys for breakfast and got some ketchup for my potato wedges, they gave me three or four packages. First one was normal, but when I went to open the second, it had two folds along the long ends. At first I thought it was a package that had somehow been misshaped by the machine, but the others where the same. I guess it would work as a money saver if the workers wouldn't give you a fistful when you ask for them, I constantly have to tell them only a couple.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    The "New and Improved Packaging" trick. What they leave out of the marketing is that they shrunk the size of the product by 10% to 15%.

Boolit Master

What I seem to be experiencing is much more grease in the bottom of the pan when I cook a pound of bacon Sunday morning. When I smoked my own bacon the recipe said to keep it warm on the smoker a while until some 10-20% of the lard rendered, so the bacon would be less fatty.

I wonder if Smithfield and others are giving bacon less treatment, so as to make less of the starting product volume lost, and so they still weigh one pound but you end up with a cup of grease instead of a few TBsp...
    Bulldogger

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Any family on food assistance or welfare also got Big cans of Peanut Butter Gee wonder why with Carter being a peanut farmer.
    We also got powdered milk, big blocks of cheese and other stuff. My mother always was first there or last to avoid people knowing we were on govt assistance.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
    What I seem to be experiencing is much more grease in the bottom of the pan when I cook a pound of bacon Sunday morning. When I smoked my own bacon the recipe said to keep it warm on the smoker a while until some 10-20% of the lard rendered, so the bacon would be less fatty.

I wonder if Smithfield and others are giving bacon less treatment, so as to make less of the starting product volume lost, and so they still weigh one pound but you end up with a cup of grease instead of a few TBsp...
    Bulldogger
    It's not just Smithfield on the bacon. Fat content for the Kirkland Brand at Costco has visibly increased over the lat 18 months. We also prefer to buy Daily's brand at Costco because there was more visible meat and thicker cut - it too also has visually increased fat content over the last 6 months.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Years ago the lard was worth more than the sowbelly. When I have a lot of grease from frying bacon, I strain the grease through a couple layers of cloth into a canning jar. Makes for some good cooking grease.

Boolit Grand Master

Bought a bag of popcorn the other day that used to be 5oz. Now the bag is the same size but filled with air and has 3.5oz in it. I need to go on a diet anyways
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    A pound is a pound, an ounce is an ounce, but a dollar isn't always a dollar! Think about that.

Pigs, pork, bacon. We have a couple of sausage factories in this area, and this area is a major pork producer for the nation. The trends in the past was get out the fat, so hogs where bread to be lean! Nearly all the sausage was getting too dry! Now there's a trend to breed more fat back into the hogs! I attend church with the fella that's responsible for spice procurement for one factory, and was complaining to him about how their sausage was so dry I had to add oil to the pan to cook it. He said their recipe hasn't changed, but the hogs had! I make nearly all my sausage at home now, but getting fat for a sausage I like is sometimes an issue.

Boolit Master
    I am glad to see the extra fat in sausage. Not only does it taste better, but it signals that people are finally starting to become aware of the bad science which has dominated the nutrition conversation for 50 years. Carbs cause heart disease and diabetes, not fats, and despite the mainstream science community the evidence is mounting steadily.

I cook most things in olive oil, butter, or bacon grease now, and my food has never been better.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

Bulldogger
    Most producers have gone to a wet cure, they pump it full of brine and that adds weight to it(you are paying for salt water), that is the white stuff you see cooking out at first and a lot of the initial liquid.

I just bought a fresh pork belly and it is getting a dry cure, it won't be pumped full of salt water. Dry cure bacon tastes so much better!!!!

Boolit Master
    kind of like a can of coffee is no longer a pound, next time you see it in the store, maybe it will have 10 ounces in it. and the price is up just to give the bean counters some added fun.

Boolit Master
    During WW II U.S. & A. collected (typically) a weekly soup can of fat/lard/etc. for the War Effort.
    GONRA's family was unbelievably frugal - we seldom had any fat to collect!
    It was all used in cooking, popcorn (from our Victory Garden) etc.
    Worse yet, Mom was a Dietitian. "Spices are the work of the devil...."
    NEVER EVER WANNA SEE SPAM AGAIN!

Really didn't know wot food was SUPPOSED to taste like
    until half way thru High School when Pizza was invented.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12