Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: What sites do you folks use and your Rossi .357 Magnum, 45 Colt, 44 Mag?

What sites do you folks use and your Rossi .357 Magnum, 45 Colt, 44 Mag?

The rifles will are strictly going to be used for deer hunting, hog hunting and punching paper out to a 100 yards. Are you guys just using the factory sights or have you upgraded to something like a peep sight?

I mounted a Williams 5D-94AE receiver sight on my .357 & a Skinner LoPro bolt peep sight on my .45

On both, I removed the rear open/iron sight & fashioned a slot filler blank in order to get a clean sight picture.

I replaced the issue bolt top safety with a fashioned plug on the .357, to enable a low mount of the Williams sight

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Peep sights don't behave well for me on a hunting firearm. Can't find the front sight in low light. Even with a light pipe front sight. I have the Rossi scout scope mount on mine. Switching between a red dot, with a 2 minute dot or a Vortex 2x7 scout scope, depending on how I plan on using said the carbine. The Sig Romeo 5 is offered with a low and high mount, has a 2 minute dot with the shake awake feature.

Winelover

Moderator Emeritus

I bought a .45 Colt lever from the widow of a good friend, and -- having read so many "oohs and aahs" on them, purchased a set of Skinner sights. I have not hunted with the rifle, but it sure shrunk my group size punching paper, albeit (old eyes and a bad leg) my target range is at 75 yards. I cannot speak for others, but in retrospect the Skinner sight was perhaps the best improvement I could have made! Their URL, if you wish to look into them, is http://skinnersights.com/
    BEST!
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    Peep sights don't behave well for me on a hunting firearm. Can't find the front sight in low light. Even with a light pipe front sight. I have the Rossi scout scope mount on mine.
    I also have the scout scope mount on mine, came with it from the factory. R92 Carbine is drilled and tapped under the rear sight, put a 4x Weaver Scout Scope on it, excellent!

NOE molds sells the mount now.

I tried an old wheel adjust Dockendorff rear sight on my last Rossi Puma 62SRC .357 and it matched up nicely with the blade front sight.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Marble's tang rear, factory front. Rossi '92 45Colt

Banned
    I am probably the last guy on planet Earth that uses buckhorn sights. I have tried Skinner, Williams and other peeps sights on my guns and was not happy. I can't seem to stay consistent with peeps. My focus wanders and the front sight stays fuzzy.

I also don't like the stock front sight on most lever guns. The round brass button makes it hard to be precise in my windage.

I have converted all of my lever guns to buckhorn rear sights with a straight .070" wide front sight.

Works for me.

YMMV.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master
    I made a threaded plug with a screw in peep to replace the safety switch on my Rossi 454. I quite happy with it. Just look through the peep and focus on the front sight. Your eye will center it self in the peep.

Boolit Bub
    Rbuck
    Do you have a picture to share?

Boolit Master
    As much trouble as many folks have posting pictures here, I wouldn't stand a chance of loading a picture. Basically I matched the bottom part of the safety, drilled and taped it from the top, cut the head off a machine screw and brazed a small disc on top. Then put a nut on the screw and screwed it in the new safety replacement. The nut is to lock at the proper elevation. Maybe I could get the wife to email you a picture. PM an email address and I'll see if I can get you a picture.

Boolit Buddy
    Just changed the rear huge buckhorn to a Winchester rear site. Tried to swap the high front to a lower one but the dovetail on the Rossi is wider than standard. I put the factory front back in and I'll file it down while shooting it for now.

Boolit Bub
    I have different lever guns with different sights, mostly receiver peep or tang, but I stuck with the Uberti semi-buckhorn and small bead front sights on my 1873. I’m definitely partial to a small bead over the larger bead front sights. Much prefer a straight post to a large bead. I actually filed the front sight on my Rossi into a post. Bead came out entirely at some point but doesn’t matter. I can see the original Uberti sights pretty well for some reason, and the small bead in the notch gives me some holdovers to work with.

Boolit Buddy
    I put a scout scope on my 44 mag. At 73, the eyes ain't what they used to be!

Boolit Master

For a gun like the Rossi the best choice for me was the Marble's tang sight. It sits close enough to my eye to be easy to use and is accurate as all get-out when coupled with a green fiber optic front sight.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

For my older eyes I didn't want a scope on my model 94 Winchester , that just ruins the handling and compactness of the sleek flat lever action .
    I knew I could shoot almost as accurately with a "Peep" sight . Picked up a Williams 5D Series 94/36 Reciever Peep Sight , rifle was factory drilled and tapped for it ... all I had to do was remove the factory open rear sight , slip a blank in the vacant dovetail slot and sight the rifle in ... So easy I did it myself and I'm an unhandy person !
    This peep sight works just fine with the existing factory front sight .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"