Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: GC for 44 Mag

GC for 44 Mag

Because of the high prices for gas checks, I decided to make my own maker dies on my mini lathe. What I thought would be a breeze turns out to have its struggles. After measuring and figuring what sizes each piece needs to be and then machining them, I have close, but no cigar. My measurements are not right. Are there any posts that have the sizes listed to build a make for my 44 Mag. ? I don't want to attempt to reinvent the wheel.

Boolit Master
    I shoot quite a bit of cast .44 mag. Mostly non gas checked. Not full on magnum loads. I have 240 and 275 plain base molds that work well at 1200 fps. I use medium burn rate powders like Unique and HS-6 with alloys that are 10-12 bhn. I recently paid $77.00 for 1000 Lyman checks for a new hollow point mold I bought from a member without noticing it was a checked design. OUCH! Good luck with your machining and tempering project.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Mold
    Check out the first sticky at the top. IDZ did the drawings for his check maker.

Boolit Grand Master

Take a look for the Ed Smith checkmaker too. It is quite different from the IDZ checkmaker but works well for me and seemed to me to be an easier build (just less small/finicky parts).

I originally made a checkmaker for .30 cal. and that was easy and works well. A few months ago I made one for .44 and those checks fit my original Lee/Ranchdog 265 gr. boolits perfectly.

I am not a skilled machinist and am working on an old beat up Atlas lathe so if I can do it...

Longbow