Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: bore / groove diameter listings ?

Boolit Bub

bore / groove diameter listings ?

So, is there a book that lists bore / groove diameters of all the popular calibers ?
    I've had to go on 2 or 3 different "hunts" to find these specs. Hoping to find a useful reference book.
    TIA

Boolit Master
    I've never seen one. With all the different manufacturers,, plus the various methods of actually cutting the rifling, and the history of MANY variations even in just one caliber,, (think .45 Colt here,) I don't think there is anybody who could tackle such a project as a book, KNOWING that the minute it got published,, someone would criticize it for the lack of some info.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah, I thought that might be the case. Last "hunt" I was on was for 38-55 bore / groove diameters and long story short, there had been several different combinations over the years.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cuslog View Post
    So, is there a book that lists bore / groove diameters of all the popular calibers ?
    I've had to go on 2 or 3 different "hunts" to find these specs. Hoping to find a useful reference book.
    TIA
    For the SAAMI chamberings go to the chamber drawing to the chamber prints and it will list the bore/groove diameters. For the pre 1920's manufacture stuff you are on your own since they varied greatly and there where no real standards.

https://saami.org/technical-informat...mber-drawings/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-01-2021 at 04:01 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Even if there was such a book, it would not be as helpful as you think. There are measurable differences in what a manufacturer states and the ACTUAL bore dimensions. I say this with confidence as I have used "range rods" in a number of pistol barrels and found that what fits in one will NOT fit in another, even within the same manufacturers. Kind of like bullet molds actually casting the diameter they have stamped on them.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Bores and grooves can vary significantly even with the same manufacturer. Perhaps modern machining methods have reduced the variance, but I am sure there still is some. Guns manufactured in the last hundred years were designed mostly to use jacketed bullets, that are much more forgiving with varying bore/groove dimensions. Lead alloy boolits are less forgiving. If you already have a gun, you can slug the bore to know exactly what you have. Older guns, especially military surplus can have considerable wear, however, many can be made to shoot well, often better than with jacketed bullets.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    For the SAAMI chamberings go to the chamber drawing to the chamber prints and it will list the bore/groove diameters. For the pre 1920's manufacture stuff you are on your own since they varied greatly and there where no real standards.

https://saami.org/technical-informat...mber-drawings/
    Thanks for that !
    Probably about as good as I'll get.