Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need a .38/.357

Boolit Buddy
    I like my N frame. So much love thus far for J, K, and L frames, and I've owned all of those as well.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    +1 on the #358432.
    I have a Lyman 4 cav. that I bought in '77. It's accurate. My sons called it "that bullnose bullet".
    One day I'm going to find out the "story" (history) of this design , who developed it and what , if anything , Lyman or other casters call it . Bullnose sounds good !
    I have read several articles on Wadcutter Boolits but most just pass over it ... the last was a magazine article in Handloader Magazine , a whole article , they showed a photo ... said it weighed 160 grains and said nothing else about it ... not even mentioning the mould # (358432) ... Nada information . Printed another on this site , a chapter from From ingots to Target ... Nada info on 358432 , although they show it .
    If anyone has a link to the history of the Lyman 358432 ... post a link ... I would like to read it and print it out for future reference.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I've owned more 38/357 handguns than all others combined over the decades. What's perfect for one person, may not be for the next one.

That being said, I'm a full blown Smith & Wesson fan. Of course Ruger's and others are fine handguns as well. I'm just speaking from my own experience down through the years. It's down right hard to argue that the S&W K frame is about as good as it gets. A nice weight in a medium size package. Going on up the ladder, next comes the L frame. A mighty fine all around handgun, though a tad heavy for daily carry. The same goes for an N frame (Models 27 & 28). The weight difference between an L frame vs an N frame isn't really worth arguing over in my own experience. One note about the Model 27 & 28 S&W's. Finding a Model 627 (Stainless model 27) would be the challenge, stainless K & L frames a fairly easy to come by.

The K frames in 38/357 frame format, to my understanding were made to be shot all one wants with 38 Special loads, and full power magnum loads will not shake one loose quickly, but will accelerate wear a tad faster.

The L frame will hold up to a steady diet of full power 357 Magnum loads with little (if any) problems.

The N frame will eat all the full power magnum loads you can handle and ask for more.

Good luck on your search!

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

No one has mentioned the Dan Wesson. You get the option of barrel length changes. They are accurate but spare barrels are an investment. I have S&W and Rugers as well. Not a bad one in the bunch. But for just casual shooting I usually shoot my M-14 Smith.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12