WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crows... My new best friends

Boolit Master

Crows... My new best friends

Early this year, we had a hawk take out our small flock of egg laying birds. We were left with 1 rooster and 1 hen and sadly, the rooster got taken out Friday. Well, hawks and other birds of prey are protected by federal law.
    Back in July, we took delivery of our new flocks of chicks. 20 White Plymouth Rocks, 19 Buff Orpingtons and 11 Americaunas. We've have them in the big run with no predator issues at all. Saturday, we moved the 20 White Rocks to the smaller run and all worked itself out. That was until Sunday around noon when they started raising a ruckus and a hawk swooped through the run. There are ways to keep hawks away from chickens (hanging CDs, scarecrows, putting up netting everywhere <- which I've done and is a PITA) and you must do those before the USDA will issue a depradation permit.
    Along come the crows. Sunday a little after noon as I'm hanging CDs and putting up some netting, I hear the local murder of crows throwing a fit. Sure enough, Mister Hawk is at the top of our big cedar tree and the crows are harassing the heck out of it.
    Monday, I picked up some crow decoys and cracked corn which I put out into our lot. The crows threw a fit yesterday at the new crows on the ground but this morning decided to get with the program and were down grazing away. As I left for work, they took off to the back tree line over the chicken runs and raised all kinds of noise.
    I used to shoot crows "Just because" back when I was younger but now love having them around.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Banned
    My back fence line borders the neighbors cow pasture and we got crows, hawks, and a eagle in the tree line next to the fence funny thing when that eagle flies you don't see or hear anything guess even birds know who the boss is.

Boolit Master

Hawk gets ONE bird, shame on him; Hawk gets a SECOND bird, shame on me.

Boolit Master

Love birds of prey in the wild. Watching them hunt and take animals is amazing. Not so much for them becoming accustomed to taking their lunch at the "Domesticated Trough". SSS comes to mind when one decides to base their meal repetitively on the domesticated birds.

SSS: Shoot - the out of control prey animal; Scoop - Dig a hole and bury the offending prey animal; Scoot - Depart the graveyard and leave the area.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    you can get in a might bit of trouble killing and burying certain birds of prey. right now I'm dealing with a buzzard that thinks my tobacco barn is going to be its new home. my best defense so far is to smoke it out with an old diesel tractor. unfortunately a neighbor plowed up a long time fallow cow pasture no too far away and planted a whole bunch of pumpkins, squash and other stuff that keeps the local family of crows very busy. usually the crows chase off buzzards and hawks.
    last year any time a hawk or buzzard came around looking to feast on momma cats new litter the crows, like 5 to 7 of them, chased em off.

Boolit Grand Master

After the Hawk is gone ... I don't think Crows are on the protected list ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Harming a bird of prey is a federal offense with up to a $15K fine and 6 months in prison.
    I understand why they are protected but I've lost a flock to them before.

Crows are very smart as birds go. The only harm that they can cause is that they will sometimes go after small chicks and other birds.

Boolit Master

What are the exemptions in your state for birds of prey attacking your livestock/fowl? Yes, killing. bird of prey comes with a fine/prnalty unless there is an exemption to protecting your animals.

Boolit Master
    To legally capture or remove a bird of prey, you have to get a depredation permit. The fee to file is $100.00 and it is good for 1 year.

Boolit Master
    "To legally capture or remove a bird of prey, you have to get a depredation permit. The fee to file is $100.00 and it is good for 1 year. "

This.

However, to get an APPROVED Federal depredation permit,, you must first try all the other methods of deterrent, BEFORE a permit MAY be issued. And they are not always good for (1) year. Each permit has it's own guidelines,, according to the applicant & the problem.

I'm a State Certified Animal Damage Control Agent. It's what I do for a living. I do NOT recommend anybody break any laws. While you may get away with it,, if any game warden of any kind gets wind of it,, you can get into FELONY territory,, which we all knows means the PERMANENT loss of firearms AND the right to vote.

The best thing I could suggest to folks who want to keep domestic critters from harm by ANY predator species,, (only doing what comes naturally,, like killing to eat,,,) is a proper & secure enclosure for your critters.

Boolit Grand Master

I just checked our local laws ... in Louisiana
    Crows , Blackbirds , Cow Birds and Grackles are classified as Game Birds and may be taken from Sept. 1 through Jan. 1 with no daily limit and taken year round during certain curcumstances with no limit .

If the crows bother you around here ... they aren't protected very much .
    I took my first one with a .410 on the wing ...the crow not me . My Dad shot at and missed and I stood up and didn't ... I was as proud of that Crow as if it were a 12 point buck deer !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    The problem is securing a large chicken run. Fencing is a necessity already but aerial netting? That's where it gets spendy.

Ground based predators are handled accordingly. Dogs are the worst. Any of them harassing chickens get the SSS treatment right away and the TCA covers that effectively. Birds of prey are the only ones that present legal issues.

But as with many things. The 3rd "S" is the important one.

Boolit Master
    Bakerjw I was in Johnson City a few months back for a funeral, and was at the farm of my cousin that we were burying. After lunch I was sitting in the shade waiting no my daughter to pace some stuff and had an animal I was almost certain was a mink run out of the pasture and around the house. The place is on Carrol Creek Road, could I be right, are there minks in that area?

Boolit Master
    Crows are predators and they are also cowards. Many times I have seen crows being chased by sparrows and once I saw a humming bird chasing one. Since crows have been placed on the protected list they have multiplied to many times the numbers they were. They have killed many song birds. If a crow is flying over a tree and hears baby birds chirping, they will come down and eat them if both parents are gone. I even saw a crow trying to kill a grown pigeon. I ran him off but he didn't go far. I don't know if he finished the job or not. If anything survives the apocalypse , my money is on the crow.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    ive seen what looks like mink or maybe just a regular weasel run across road from the clinch river, usually early in the morning. there are wild mink in East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    Bakerjw I was in Johnson City a few months back for a funeral, and was at the farm of my cousin that we were burying. After lunch I was sitting in the shade waiting no my daughter to pace some stuff and had an animal I was almost certain was a mink run out of the pasture and around the house. The place is on Carrol Creek Road, could I be right, are there minks in that area?
    Possibly mink. Certainly weasels. We have a lot of wildlife in the area. Had a mountain lion cross the rifle range a couple of years ago. A momma bobcat brought her kittens across a year ago. Last weekend as we were coming home from the lake, on a bridge I looked down into Wilbur Lake and saw a baby beaver floating without a care in the world.

I was riding my road bike home from a local bike shop Thanksgiving ride a few years ago and crossed over where the Watauga River meets Boone Lake. I saw a disturbance in the water and seeing how it was late in the year and they dropped the lake to Winter pool figured it was just ducks. Nope. Otters. I had to do a double take expecting muskrats or possibly beaver but they were big and brown.

Crows will raid nests, that is for sure. They get harassed by the mockingbirds too.

Boolit Master
    Around here we use crows for sight checking if they set .

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I used to shoot them when I was younger "Just because". As I've gotten older, I just don't see the sense in killing just to kill.

Boolit Master

Crows can destroy a gardens corn patch. They will wait till the kernal sprouts to the top of the dirt and then peck the kernal out of the ground. Old timers killed the crows to protect their corn crop.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    The problem is securing a large chicken run. Fencing is a necessity already but aerial netting? That's where it gets spendy.

Ground based predators are handled accordingly. Dogs are the worst. Any of them harassing chickens get the SSS treatment right away and the TCA covers that effectively. Birds of prey are the only ones that present legal issues.

But as with many things. The 3rd "S" is the important one.
    If I could offer an alternative, make up a run on wheels that you can push to new area every day. I've seen them with a small coop mad on one end, I've also seen them with a door on one end so that you can push it up to a stationary coop. I don't know your situation so I've no idea how practical such a run would be for you. I'm sure some good designs can be found on the 'net but something like this has the advantage of being easy enough to cover with wire over the top

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast