Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: PCP air compressor

Boolit Master

PCP air compressor

I tried my hand at using a PCP air rifle and it was a complete failure. I bought one of the Young Heng compressors and on the second time i used it. The compressor totally broke down. The motor does run, but it compresses no air. So i guess my next winter project will be to rebuild the comp.. Kevin
    An the seller just told me to read the manual.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry to hear that it came to a bad end for you with the compressor.

I enjoy air guns a lot. Stuck my toe into the PCP water a few years ago and it was not for me.

Havent gotten off my wallet yet, but im eyeballing PCP airguns.
    ( howdy neighbor )

Boolit Grand Master
    I got some excellent advice from member NSB when I started with PCP. I was going to get a cheap compressor, but it is a crap shoot...might get a good one or one not very good.

NSB suggested a tank and it has worked out well for my needs. I have a 74 cu ft tank and with my gins I should get about 4000 shots on a fill.

Hope you get your unit repaired. Check on the dedicated air gun forums as they have a lot of experience with that compressor.
    Don Verna

Vendor Sponsor

I got a 25 caliber Benjamin Marauder rifle, I tweaked it for the most energy, and hit an old she coon square in the top of her forehead, right in the center of the "X" (lines drawn between eyes and ears) with a 37gr Eunjin pellet and she recoiled hard and waddled off. I thought WTH???? Found her a day later around the front of the house, the buzzards were dragging her out of the bushes. I looked at the spot on her head, it was soft and about the size of a nickel but there was no penetration. I was quite surprised to see a coon soak up that much of a hit to the head and still waddle off.

After a good long while tweaking and shopping, I ended up with a very high performance Cothran valve and a 1/4" transfer port which is sized to the bore volume all the way from the valve to the breech. Only gets about 6 shots on a 3,000psi fill but boy do they thump! I seriously doubt another coon or even a 'yote would get away from it with a head shot anywhere near the cranium.

That one was so much fun I invested in a Benjamin Marauder 22 caliber pistol and put the included shoulder stock on it. Scoped these are REALLY FUN!! Yes it's tweaked and the t-port drilled out some for more volume of air to the breech, and I use it for tree rat control around the garden. They get bold and quite destructive when the 'maters are ripe, between the Benjamin and the lifelike owl decoy, they didn't get ANY 'maters this year!

I debated the possibilities for an air supply and settled on a 4500lb SCBE tank that I get filled at the dive shop. Now that I have moved, I am 50mi from the dive shop and need to find another source of air. I can get quite a few 3,000psi fills for both Benjamins before the pressure drops to 3,000psi in the tank.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

If you had a frontal shot on that 'coon and she was looking straight at you, the pellet likely glanced off her skull.... To make that shot work, she would have to have her head down, to make the impact more perpendicular.... Between the eyes would have been a better shot, IMO, as racoons have a very sloped forehead....

Bob

Boolit Mold
    I have been using my Chinese compressor for a while now without problems but one must use clean hydraulic oil & have both low & high pressure drain valves open on starting & only run them for 10-15 minutes or they get too hot for oil to protect the seals & crankshaft. The discharge cooling water must stay cool to the touch as the temp gauge is not the water temp. I use a higher flow water pump in a 20ltr. drum.
    I use mine to recharge my Texan .458 cal. bottle plus toping up my 5 litre scuba tank. These 2 operations only take 10-15 minutes each as I do not run the tanks below 1500psi & stop at 3000psi.
    While on the subject of the Texan .458 cal., has any one came up with any accuracy mods other than what I have found on U-tube? Even as stock it can smash clays at 100m with a 350 grain lead round nose with a bore riding front area which is most important on loading it.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by rsterne View Post
    If you had a frontal shot on that 'coon and she was looking straight at you, the pellet likely glanced off her skull.... To make that shot work, she would have to have her head down, to make the impact more perpendicular.... Between the eyes would have been a better shot, IMO, as racoons have a very sloped forehead....

Bob
    She had her head down eating off a bait. It was a flat out perpendicular hit. She recoiled hard to the rear and groaned out loud, then trotted off.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

Having made the dip into the PCP world a few years back, my first was accompanied by a Hill pump. Using this got quite tiresome real quickly! Pyramid Air had a sale on the then-new Nomad II compressor, so I went for it. ZERO regrets! (Well, just maybe one teeny one in that perhaps I should have gone for a bigger compressor which can fill tanks -- but -- to buy one of these would have surely put me into the poor house!)
    Anyhoos -- the unit keeps chugging and chugging with nary a problem since I got it. I printed a little Brother label with lots of 0's on it, and blacken each with a Sharpie after each PCP filling -- to remember to put a few drops of oil in -- only maintenance required.
    Again, rare it is I come across a product which works 100% to my satisfaction, and this unit functions as well running off my pickup truck battery at camp (no A.C. there) as when using it to fill air rifles at home. A video of it, if you have interest, is at https://www.airventuri.com/av/featur...ir-compressor/
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 11-17-2021 at 10:13 AM.

Boolit Master

Once you solve the air supply, PCP gets even better.
    I did it all wrong.
    Started with a 25 cal and hand pump...the 25 uses a lot of air.
    Bought a large tank, fire department filled it for free, but I had to do some research the find a volunteer department with the fill system, and be there when somebody could fill my tank, then donate to the beer fund. Time, miles, money.
    So then I bought a compressor, at that time choices were slimmer than now.
    The nomad, (and similar)like George has is a good choice.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

An SCBA tank helps a lot and I have found this site http://www.warpig.com/forums/fields/index.shtml to be a good resource to find a place that can fill them.

Boolit Master
    I too have shot a coon between the eyes, Benjamin .22 Discovery(?), under 10 feet in a building and it ran off, didn't see it again but now it didn't die(tracks). I don't use it for any critters but barn pigeons and smaller ground squirrels and such. Would consider for bunnies and bigger only in emergency.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    I too have shot a coon between the eyes, Benjamin .22 Discovery(?), under 10 feet in a building and it ran off, didn't see it again but now it didn't die(tracks). I don't use it for any critters but barn pigeons and smaller ground squirrels and such. Would consider for bunnies and bigger only in emergency.
    I have five PCPs, and my only hesitation on using to dispatch any critter would be my hopeful success at shot placement. Maybe 20 years back a quite sick feral cat with a white coat was the wrath of neighborhood -- some using HavaHart-type and leg traps to no avail. Just by happerstrance I saw it heading my direction and took a snap shot at it. Like your 'coon, it disappeared. Showing up again, all over, it now had a pellet inset directly above and near centre of its eyes! That cat lived for at least a year before it was killed by a vehicle hit/run over. My range, albeit it was a CO2 pistol, was less than six feet! With a Marauder pistol (.22) I have dispatched a good many bunnies at a modal fifty to sixty foot distance -- they just roll over -- dead. Same with squirrels, 'cept if I hit a squirrel in the head it generally jumps up/does a flip before it lands quite dead.
    My thoughts are -- like I hit sick white feral cat -- your pellet struck a spot with bone which it did not penetrate.

Boolit Bub
    I have one it has ran fine for as long as I have had it

Boolit Bub
    Boy I wish I had the ability to do a project like that

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ourway77 View Post
    Boy I wish I had the ability to do a project like that
    You aught to look up other jmorris videos on Utube. Mr Morris is the Boss!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by rsterne View Post

Bob
    I’ve heard of that happening with bears too, with much bigger guns. I once shot a bear coming through the doorway between the eyes, from four feet away with a 30.06. He dropped like a sack of potatoes in his tracks. It was such a definite kill, I didn’t even load a second cartridge.