Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100 yard shooting standard

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
    a furlong being 10 chains.

10 square chains is 1 chain x 10 chains which is 43,560 square feet, which is an acre.

I learned this in Forestry school, and surveying and cruising timber sales. The "chain" was pulled through the woods, with a lead chain man and followed by a tail chain man, adjustments were made for slope, and oddly the modern "chain" is a steel tape, usually two chains long with a tail, if memory serves....it was over 50 years ago that I used that skill.
    It's been 30yrs since I cruised timber in AZ, UT and ID so my memory is kinda dim on these things. I didn't survey so didn't measure things like that. We had our points set and used a compass to get the direction of the next one then aerial photo's to confirm the location. Kinda interesting and the photo's were good enough to pick out individual tree's in detail.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    If the OP is asking why 100 yards became a standard increment it might be as simple as 100 paces. As in, when you didn't have a chain or any other measuring equipment handy you could pace off 100 'yards' and call it "close enough."
    A 'correct charge' of black powder used to be enough to almost cover the ball in the palm of your hand. Close enough back then.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Sight in at 100 yards makes it easy to calculate boolit drop at longer distances.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    If the OP is asking why 100 yards became a standard increment it might be as simple as 100 paces. As in, when you didn't have a chain or any other measuring equipment handy you could pace off 100 'yards' and call it "close enough."
    A 'correct charge' of black powder used to be enough to almost cover the ball in the palm of your hand. Close enough back then.
    For me It takes 120 paces to make 100 yards.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Without any research into the matter, i assume its because we like 1's and 0's
    And 10 yards is fairly useless for measuring a rifle, and 1000 yards is a bit beyond most peoples skill level.

Also have a theory that maybe 100 yards or so is where a standard 20/20 vision will give you a pretty clear idea of the intent of the object in your sights.

Just thinking out loud.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Master

I think it is 100 is a nice round number and that should be approaching the maximum distance of aging eyes and open sights common to hunting rifles for an effective shot on large game. I think 100 yards became the standard before rifle scopes were common.
    Feet and yards became the common increment of length measure over rods, phathoms , cubits, and others. We have lumber in 2"X4" and 4'X8' sheets of plywood. 8 foot ceilings and such.
    So I think bullet trajectories became calculated in yards as opposed to any other unit of measurement in the USA. Therefore knowing bullet velocity and BC you can calculate bullet drop at any yardage desired.
    All trajectories from manufacturers in the US are calculated in yards.

Boolit Grand Master

Again I agree that 100 yards for rifles is commonly used but don't believe common use and a standard are the same. Most handgun ranges are 50ft, 25 yards or 50 yards. Handgun Silhouette is shot at 50, 75, 150, and 200 yards. The medium size calibers, Field Pistol, mainly comprise straight-cased pistol calibers and are shot at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards. The smallest caliber, Smallbore, is for .22 LR and is shot at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards. Post round ball military rifles generally had minimum sight settings of a 100 yards and much longer as max.

Lots of ranges are in meters also. 100 meters is 109.36133 yard so it's almost 9.4% different.

For most rifle hunting application 100 yards is an easy sight in distance that has merit at 200 yards or a little further.

It's also easy for gun writers with one inch groups at 100 yards. Beyond that I don't see 100 yard as a standard and it not even close to being the gold "standard". For a lower cost public or a private range 100 yards is adequate nothing more.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    We were taught 6 paces to 5 yards using the Ranger beads....
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

100 yard shooting standard

the "military step" is 30 inches as practiced while marching in formation. Thus 6 steps is 5 yards.

At least that is what I recall being taught one very hot, humid day at Ft. Polk, LA 50 os so years ago.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master

It just makes things simple.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I wonder how practical "100 yards" was way back when the first recognizable guns were developed. Maybe the max effective range, might have been about that far but I don't know if "yards" existed as a unit of measurement back then.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Same here, I just don't know if 30" was a 'standard pace' at the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12