Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 yard shooting standard

Boolit Master

100 yard shooting standard

It seems that a standard range for shooting is either 100 yards or 100 meters.
    does anyone know the history of this?
    was it begun during naval battles, such as the 1588 British attack on Spanish ships in English Channel where the British Admirals ordered all ships to fire upon the Spanish at 100 yards so the cannon would have devastating impact on the Spanish wood gallions of the era?
    the English used 50 pounders at 1000fps at 100 yards
    Last edited by farmbif; 09-28-2021 at 06:09 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have no idea but here in the East generally a 100 yard shot at a deer, rabbit, or anything else is usually the maximim. Unless you are shooting over a bean field or something like that for a longer range, but usually 50-75 yards is the common range.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    exactly, the 100 yard shot. most ranges are set up for at least several 100 yard lanes for practice.

Boolit Master
    I seem to recall that archers used to have their contests at “100 English yards.”

An early matchlock arquebus would be pretty challenged at that range.

We zero our big game hunting rifles @ 300 yards. Conveniently, we have a 300 yard range in the back yard! I guess that I could sneak a bit closer! memtb
    Last edited by memtb; 09-28-2021 at 08:47 PM.
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Grand Master
    Personally, I think the 100 yard standard came about as we as a nation forgot about measuring in rods (16.5 feet). Barbed wire is still sold in 80 rod rolls, which equals 440 yards or ¼ mile. Therefore 20 rods equals 110 yards.

I thought about this years ago when I was reading some of Elmer Keith's old articles were he mentioned how a rifle grouped at 110 yards. I didn't really think he was an early convert to the metric system, then I read that he had experience surveying, and I think at that time they were still measuring in chain lengths (no idea how long that is).

Robert

Boolit Master

a chain length, as used in surveying, is 66 feet. Ten square chains is an acre.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master
    and... many older military rifles have sights with settings in increments of 100 yards (100 meters for European models). For example, the sight settings on an M1 Garand are 1, 2, 3, 4... corresponding to 100 yards, 200 yards, etc. Most Mausers had similar numbers, corresponding to hundreds of meters. In all these cases, 100 was the lowest setting.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

The old smooth bore military muskets were thought effective to 60 yds. For many years the gold standard was MOA at 100 yards for rifles. With the optometry and rifles with iron sights 100 yds was a long ways not counting the rifles and ammo of the day. It was also much easier to make a 100 yd range, a long with setting up and using, each time you checked targets it was a 200 yd walk.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Personally, I think the 100 yard standard came about as we as a nation forgot about measuring in rods (16.5 feet). Barbed wire is still sold in 80 rod rolls, which equals 440 yards or ¼ mile. Therefore 20 rods equals 110 yards.

Robert
    Kinda Explains why a roll of Field fence is the Length that it is 330’. Based on how old English measurements of rods and acres. Never really thought about it till I read your post
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

I know of very few 100 yard only ranges in the Midwest or West. Most are 200 yard minimum with 300 yards being very common. The only standard I am aware of is the MOA which is 1.047" at a 100 yards so lots of people shot at a 100 yards to test the MOA claims. Other than that I am not aware of 100 yards being standard??? For SD handguns 25 yards and under is standard as is 50 yards for 22LR rimfire. For Bullseye Pistol it's 50 yards.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-01-2021 at 08:33 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

I have never been to a range that didn't have a 100 yard target. Annandale, MN target range is 100 yards (technically about 92 yards since they moved the berm). Cokato MN (rainbow sportsmen club) is 100 yard standard. Staples, MN public range is 100 yards. Alexandira, MN gun club is 100 yards. Aberdeen, SD range is 100 yards.

There's no history behind it, what else would it be? It sure wasn't going to be 129 yards. I guess I can understand 200 yards, but not everywhere has that much space. Just about anywhere with enough room to build a range can go to 100 yards, and that's all there is to it.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The 100 yard range was based upon volley fire with muzzleloaders and has little application to modern arms beyond that in trying to build police and militia ranges in built up areas, that was the longest distance which could be had with reasonable ease given the land available. It was also a common sporting distance going back to the black powder era.

In the traditional military doctrinal sense, anything less than 200 yards was considered "short" range for rifle and carbine, 300 yards was "mid-range" 600 yards "full" range and 1000 yards "long" range, going back to the days of the Trapdoor .45-70 and the Krag.

Cavalry men in the west after the Civil War were expected to hit an 18 - inch barrel head at 200 yards with the Trapdoor carbine and out to 100 yards with the .45 Single Action Army revolver when firing rested over the saddle of a bedded down mount.. Indeed, that us why most 19th Century military arms shoot high with the issue sights, because troops were told to hold on the belt buckle inside 200 yards and to hold center of mass beyond that. Battlesight zero with the ladder folded down on the Krag or '03 Springfield was about 450 yards, and with the Infantry Trapdoor 200 yards and the Cavalry carbine 150.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    In the traditional military doctrinal sense, anything less than 200 yards was considered "short" range for rifle and carbine, 300 yards was "mid-range" 600 yards "full" range and 1000 yards "long" range, going back to the days of the Trapdoor .45-70 and the Krag.
    Very true. That being said the NRA (if I remember the date correctly) changed the 600 yard to mid-range in 2014. Since then NRA Mid-Range (Prone) High Power Competition is 300, 500, and 600 yards. I haven't been following it closely but there was talk of creating an extreme long range class for past 1,000 yard.

A little history on the change

https://www.mrra.org/disciplines_midrange.htm

MID RANGE EXPLAINED
    There have been several questions about the new mid range course. As your hard working HP chairman I have attempted to get those answers. I will try to pass on what I have learned and explain some of the possibilities & combinations of shooting this course; but first, a short history lesson.

TODAY'S HISTORY LESSON

Until about the mid 90's everybody had 1 high power rifle classification. This one classification served for everything, over the course, 1000 yard, 4 gun 600, Palma, standing, service rifle. The NRA, at the request of shooters, agreed that prone shooting was clearly different than over the course so they created the LONG RANGE classification. Long range was defined as prone matches fired at 600 yards and beyond. Six & five hundred yard scores fired in conjunction with over the course matches were not used toward your LR classification. Only scores fired in 600, 800, 900 and 1000 yard matches such as 3 gun or 4 gun 600's, 1000 yard and Palma were used in this system. As it developed, scores fired at 600 were averaging higher than those fired at 1000 or in Palma matches. This was partly due to the fact that there are very few ranges to practice and compete in 1000 yard and Palma shooting. Conversely there are a lot of 600 yard ranges and lots of 600 yard competition. Also by its nature Palma and 1000 yard are more difficult even without the handicap of fewer opportunities to shoot these longer distances. Wind and flag reading skills are more critical at 1000 yards. The bullseye has a different perspective on the 1000 yard target. This requires different aperture settings on the front sight. The result of this was that most shooters earned their long range classification shooting at 600 yards. When these 600 yard shooters shot Palma and 1000 yard most were disappointed that they were not shooting the same class scores. Many said the heck with it and gave up Palma and 1000 yard while others wrote to NRA about the problem. NRA listened and created the new mid range course for those who do not have access to Palma ranges. So now you have the opportunity to shoot two different competitions with two classifications in prone slow fire.

ON TO THE GOOD STUFF

Since the prone scores at 3-5 & 600 are generally a little higher, the NRA decided to increase the percentage averages for each class in the new mid range course. You will now have to shoot 1.5% higher for each particular class. For example high master long range requires a 97% average whereas high master for mid range will require a 98.5%. This means you will need to average 444 out of 450 for high master on the standard mid range course; and 788 out of 800 in the 4 gun 600 events.

The basic course of fire is 2 sighters and 15 shots for record in 22 minutes at 300, 500 & 600 yards. The course can be fired with any suitable prone rifle and with iron sights or any sights. Suitable rifles or cartridges can be AR15's through 338 Winchester single shots and everything in between that you normally see on the high power range. The program will state any limitations such as iron sights or any sights. See my editorial at the end of this article regarding cartridge limits. The NRA will keep national records for individuals and teams in this event at registered matches.

Very few clubs have firing points at these three distances. Fortunately the good news is that there are many variations in this mid range competition. For example the 4 gun 600 we all know and love is a mid range match. Those will continue just as in the past at most clubs. A 4 gun mid range can now be fired at 500 yards on the MR65. At this time (December 2006) the Northstar Rifle Club in Red Wing is the only Minnesota club that has firing points at the 3 distances to shoot the so called standard mid range match of 15 shots each at 300, 500 & 600 yards. Northstar has several mid range events scheduled for 2007.

VARIATIONS

Here are some possible combinations of mid range competition. At Northstar I am planning on the 45 shot mid range with iron sights. This will be followed by a 20 shot string at 600 with iron sights followed by a 20 shot string with any sight for a total of 85 shots. This could be done in reverse with any sight allowed in the first 2 and irons in the last 20 shot match, but I'm going with mostly irons. If your club has only 300 yards you can shoot a 4 gun (20 shots each) just like the olden days of 4 gun 600. It would be fired on the MR63 and could be set up with all irons, all scope or half and half. If your club has only 500 yards it's the same as 300. You can also shoot 1 iron and 1 scope at 300 followed by 1 each at 500 or 600. If you have only 3 and 500 you can shoot the 15 shot each range with two 15 shot strings at 500. I would guess that fired this way would not count toward national records. You can shoot 2 scope matches at 300 and 2 iron matches at 5 or 600 or reverse.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-29-2021 at 01:43 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I had always heard that it was because one inch at a 100yd's was one minute of angle.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by facetious View Post
    I had always heard that it was because one inch at a 100yd's was one minute of angle.
    But it isn't!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
    Good to know.

Floating around in the semi-useless trivia folder in my head, I had a recollection of 66 feet being called a cable length for purposes of naval gunnery in the days of sail.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I remember when I was cruising timber we used chains. Rods, Chains... all seemed odd to me and why the metric system is much better but I won't do the metric, I'd rather learn rods, chains, hogsheads, and so on.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

1 Acre = 1 chain (66ft) x 1 Furlong (660ft) = 10sq Chains

The original acre I've read was the area a yoke of oxen could plow in one day similar to 1 Horsepower being the amount one horse could move 550lbs 1ft in 1 minute.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    1 Acre = 1 chain (66ft) x 1 Furlong (660ft) = 10sq Chains

The original acre I've read was the area a yoke of oxen could plow in one day similar to 1 Horsepower being the amount one horse could move 550lbs 1ft in 1 minute.
    a furlong being 10 chains.

10 square chains is 1 chain x 10 chains which is 43,560 square feet, which is an acre.

I learned this in Forestry school, and surveying and cruising timber sales. The "chain" was pulled through the woods, with a lead chain man and followed by a tail chain man, adjustments were made for slope, and oddly the modern "chain" is a steel tape, usually two chains long with a tail, if memory serves....it was over 50 years ago that I used that skill.
    Last edited by AZ Pete; 09-29-2021 at 10:38 PM.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast