MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Which DA revolver for .45 Colt?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    I wish Ruger would build a large frame version of the LCR. 5 shot .45 Colt, cut for moon clips to use .45 ACP, enough meat in the cylinder to handle .460 Rowland which means it would also handle .45 Colt Ruger Only loads. Not talking about the .45 Colt loads that are intended for 5 shot revolvers; just the ones that are published for factory Blackhawks. The same revolver could easily be made as a 5-shot .44 Mag.
    I have a magnum j frame and a 4.2" Redhawk. You'd have to be insane to be willing to shoot even my 300 grain loads for the latter out of the former. It would be completely unbearable. I can't imagine what the 2.5" SRH has to feel like with 300s at 15-1600 fps.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    I have a magnum j frame and a 4.2" Redhawk. You'd have to be insane to be willing to shoot even my 300 grain loads for the latter out of the former. It would be completely unbearable. I can't imagine what the 2.5" SRH has to feel like with 300s at 15-1600 fps.
    I'm not talking about 300s at 15-1600, although I would have no problem shooting those out of a 2.5" SRH. For my hypothetical large frame LCR though, I'm talking about 255 grains at 1000-1100 fps. Very similar to factory level .44 Mag loads in my Tracker snub.

Boolit Master

With revolver prices the way they are these days, and the chance that I'll both be in grizzly country, and run across an aggressive one, as being next to nothing, I think I'll just leave well enough alone and pack the G29.

Springfield Armory has come out with a G29 fighter that is very, very appealing to me.

Thinking about picking one up and replacing three pistols with it. An 11-round 10mm compact pistol with a red dot would do very well as a carry pistol in most situations.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

SW just announced a 10mm compact MP. That is a winner in anyones book
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Linebaugh article on the model 25 with loads
    260 gr up to 1200fps. 300-320 up to 1100fps. MAXLOADS

https://web.archive.org/web/20180525...ault.asp?id=12

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Look into 454 casull DA revolvers too maybe? You can shoot 45colts in them i believe and have the option of using 454 casull.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    My 2000th post on CB is entirely appropriate to the forum as I am contemplating replacing my Ruger Bisley 5.5" in .45 Colt with a revolver in the same caliber.

I love my Ruger! It is accurate, beautiful, wonderful trigger, and makes me smile. However, it's actual job is to be big medicine for woods carry during those rare times I am on the outskirts of grizzly country.

In studying bear attacks, and even cougar attacks, a single-action is not ideal. I double-action is.

So, I am aware of a few revolvers available in .45 Colt. And I understand that I can get a revolver in .45 Casull and have the option of just shooting my .45 Colt loads in it.

Looking for a revolver in stainless, with 4" barrel or less, strong enough for hot .45 Colt loads, popular enough to find holsters for it, and under $1000.

The Ruger Alaskan seems to fit the bill, as does the S&W 625 Mountain Gun. Any other to check out?
    This would be pushing the limit on your budget but here is what I would be looking at.. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/916986828

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Targa View Post
    This would be pushing the limit on your budget but here is what I would be looking at.. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/916986828
    $1000 for a used Ruger? Crazy market these days.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    As a head's up The Woodlawn Boys on Gunbroker are moving in batches about six guns at a time, a collection of over 60 Colt New Service revolvers. With so many flooding the auction market over the next few months, selling prices will be falling. I am seeing that occurring now. You will never again have a better opportunity to get a shooter or collector - grade Colt .45 at a price less than a new Ruger. Some of the listings include NWMP, New York State Troopers, etc.

In addition to the more common .45 Colts and .45 ACPs, there are examples in the less common calibers such as .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .38-40, .44-40, .44 Russian, .450 Revolver, .455 Eley, etc. There are also examples in the less common 4-inch! 4-1/2" and 5-inch as well as the most common 5-1/2" and 7-1/2" models.

If for no reason other than to educate yourself, bookmark this seller's listings.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...08&PageSize=24

I've bought several collector revolvers from them and their listings include good high resolution photos and through descriptions. I have no connection with this dealer other than being a very well pleased multiple purchaser.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 11-25-2021 at 03:38 PM. Reason: add link
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    $1000 for a used Ruger? Crazy market these days.
    You can get a late 1930s Colt New Service for that.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I went thru a similar thought process as the OP. But, I couldn't give up my 4 5/8" bisley blackhawk .45 colt that is so wonderfully accurate and pleasant to shoot. So, I added a S&W 625 mountain gun. It was north of 1000 bucks, for sure. But I'm glad I have it.

But then I got a hankering for a Glock 30. I put a kkm barrel in it with a more fully supported chamber, a heavier spring, and I run 230 grainers at 1000-1050fps with no problem whatsoever. Although I keep the practice loads closer to 900 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    You can get a late 1930s Colt New Service for that.
    I was shooting mine yesterday. I don't know if there is a better DA out there for .45LC.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456