WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: cold blue

Boolit Master

cold blue

I have a couple of rifles that need some touch ups what is a good brand of easy to use cold blueing to use ?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I can’t recommend any in particular, there are a lot available. Be careful, they don’t all give the same colors, if you are trying for an exact match. Colors range from dark blue to almost black.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use Birchwood/casey perma blue and sometimes add a bit of Brownells cold blue. Both work better if the gun is warm, not hot.

Boolit Master
    If you are going to use Cold Bluing to to Touch up be careful.
    Cold Bluing will remove or dull the original bluing.
    So clean with Acetone and Alcohol and dab the cold Bluing on any Bare Metal only and don't smear it across you old bluing.
    Rinse with water before you try to buff it out.
    Cold Bluing will darken and protect areas of bare metal , but it is very hard to get the scar you are trying to cover up to go away completely.
    But if you just want to restore bluing in scratches or worn areas , and look good from 5 feet away it will do the job.
    But there are so many different bluing finishes on guns , there is no way to know which one will match best.
    I found that Bluing cream or gel is easier to use on Tiny scratches since it doesn't run all over.
    Apply with a Q tip.
    The main thing with bluing or bluing touch up , is to make sure the metal is totally clean and degreased.

Boolit Master
    Brownells sells oxhpo and another cold blue. Both come either in a liquid or creme. While the oxhpo is great I've mixed both together for touch ups. Different alloys do not all accept as evenly as one would wish. Some alloys require multiple coats to look anything decent, while others look great after only a couple coats. I've done one or two Mauser buttplates that came out great. The one BSA 22rf martini looked horrible. Dicropan may be the one other cold blue. Frank