Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data

Thread: sizing 480 ruger bullets

Boolit Bub

sizing 480 ruger bullets

Fellas Im a newb caster looking to set up for 480 ruger in a mauser bolt action. After low speeds, around 800-1000fps, whatever mixes work. Things are getting a bit scarce where I am but I found the Lee double cavity 400-476-RF mold and the RCBS lubamatic sizer die in .476. Bore is around .474. Does this all sound okay to make a start with? Where do i find a top punch to match this bullet?

Boolit Bub
    I guess I got the secret handshake wrong

Vendor Sponsor

If you can't get one direct from RCBS, Lathesmith is a member here he makes dies and punches. First, let me ask you if you know what your throat diameter is? This is what you want to size to, not the bore.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

Secret handshake?

Banned

ive owned 3 475s and 2 480s and .476 bullets worked well in all of them

Boolit Grand Master
    I didn't answer yesterday because I have zero hands on experience with the .480 Ruger cartridge, but the dimensions sound reasonable to me.

For the top punch, I would use whatever flat nosed punch I had on hand. Or make one, it is doable with a drill and a file if you aren't too picky about looks. The stem on my factory built top punches is usually .260, but a ¼" bolt or rod works fine. Make it about an inch long and go from there.

My biggest question is just how are you going to get the rimmed 480 Ruger to feed from a Mauser magazine?

Robert

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Fellas. The gunsmith will be doing all the work. He is a safari rifle guy but also puts pistol cartridges up to 500 S&W into bolt actions. He was interested to try his first 480 and so was I

Boolit Grand Master

If your boolit has a flat spot on it ... Lee 476-400-RF ... Round Flat ...your best bet is to use a flat top punch . Use a RCBS or Lyman and fill any cavity with epoxy putty (J-B Weld) let cure and sand dead flat . Perfect fit ...flat works with any boolit that has a flat spot on it ... WC , SWC , TC and RF ... it will seat them all .

What is the Secrete Handshake ... I got my secrete Cast Boolit T-Shirt , belong to the Secrete Model 58 Club ...I need to know the Handshake !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Secret handshake?
    I think because he didn't get any response as quickly as he thought he would. Sometimes responses are almost instantaneous on here, some times it just takes a little ruminating to come up with an answer.

My guess it was the same as a "to the top" post in the swapping and selling area.

And I'd be curious how well the 480 Ruger works in a Mauser action. That's a tiny rim and I don't remember any kind of an extractor groove.

And if that doesn't work out, you can use the same mold for plinking loads in a 470 Nitro Express.

I use 480 Ruger boolits for plinking with the nitro. Problem is, even plinker loads shred dingers.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by stef76 View Post
    I guess I got the secret handshake wrong
    I learned the secrete handshake ! Stef76 ... Where Ya'at !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I'm sizing those 400 RF Lee bullets right now. Using a 500 S&W RF top punch from MP molds.

My RCBS .476 die gives me .477 bullets. Springback? Bullets are from last year.

My bullets are Hi Tek coated & Aqualubed for easy sizing.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    And I'd be curious how well the 480 Ruger works in a Mauser action. That's a tiny rim and I don't remember any kind of an extractor groove.

And if that doesn't work out, you can use the same mold for plinking loads in a 470 Nitro Express.

I use 480 Ruger boolits for plinking with the nitro. Problem is, even plinker loads shred dingers.
    if the 480 ruger doesnt work out, I can upgrade to an elephant gun? Thats a heck of a plan B, I had to lol at that.

Banned

I size the same bullet to 475 for my SBH 480 Ruger with a Lyman die.

Boolit Master