Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like no more Goex or OE

Boolit Buddy

That Goex mentions cost increases for part of their decision to shut down the Goex black powder production, I wonder how much of those costs increases are due to regulatory powers of deep state bureaucrats appointed by anti-gun politicians. Things like hazmat fees, zoning, and other regulatory powers can be an opportunity to choke the life out of the gun industry.

Boolit Master
    I think the demand and profit margin for the synthetic stuff is great enough to let go of the black powder plant. I haven't talked to another hunter around here who uses black, mostly people ask why do you shoot that stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I think the demand and profit margin for the synthetic stuff is great enough to let go of the black powder plant. I haven't talked to another hunter around here who uses black, mostly people ask why do you shoot that stuff?
    I'd quit if I couldn't shoot real black powder.

Boolit Master
    I won't quit. But it sure takes away from the fun having to use something besides black.

Boolit Master
    The folks who use the REAL black powder are the cowboy action shooters and the civil war re-enactors.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Buddy
    I won't quit. But it sure takes away from the fun having to use something besides black.
    And flintlock shooters.

Boolit Master
    And side lock and under hammers and pistol and (you get the picture) along with Black powder cartridge shooters /Ed

Boolit Grand Master
    I did not watch all the video...but enough to confirm that there is not enough profit in the business to justify either adding more resources to grow it, or keep it as is. A niche market does not fit Hodgdon's business plan.

A brand name has some value but not much in this case. If the sale includes production facilities, equipment, distribution, patents, and trade secrets the value increases. I suspect, in this case, the brand name is not going to have much value because people will not have a lot of choices anyway...they will buy whatever is available if it works. Much like primers today....if someone had Wolf primers at $50/1000 they would sell out in a day. In fact, the brand name may be a negative unless the new company makes an identical or better product. I can hear it now, "The new Goex is not the same...it is crap...I will never buy another pound of it...etc, etc". Whereas, if a new player entered the market to capture the market share lost by Goex, and is was a decent product, people would say, "it is almost as good as Goex, works well enough for my needs etc etc"
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Pretty much any time a long-standing brand changes hands, there's always a little sect within the customer base that spouts that. "The new ______ will never be as good as the old ______. They don't care about the brand! They just want money!"

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    The folks who use the REAL black powder are the cowboy action shooters and the civil war re-enactors.
    I have a feeling that the only people that use synthetic stuff exclusively are hunters with in lines.

On another note I hope they find a buyer that really develops the product into something that beats swiss powder even.
    Last edited by almar; 10-03-2021 at 01:22 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

For BPCR subs and smokeless are not allowed. It has to be real BP.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Guess it was good I picked up a few Lbs. I really didn't need last month!

I won't have to quit either. I have enough to get me through till I croak.

Boolit Master
    If there is enough profit in it someone will buy the plant and start producing the stuff.

I am one that has not used pure black for a long time. Pyrodex has worked for me for a LONG time. I don't hunt and don't shoot flintlocks. Only percussion side locks.

A flinter would be the one thing that would tempt me to go to the trouble of getting pure black. But, don't see that happening in the near future.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

There is no incentive for them to continue making it. It's only about their profit and they feel they have other products that will fill the needs of their customers. I emailed them and told them I would no longer use any Hodgdon products. I'd rather make my own BP if it comes to it.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by almar View Post
    I have a feeling that the only people that use synthetic stuff exclusively are hunters with in lines..
    Hammer meets nail.

I run into alot of hunters that say they use the modern inline rifles "because they're easier". Not really, as I can use the speedloading tubes with the traditional rifles as they can with their inline rifles. For cleaning, not so. Especially not compared to using a patched jag on a range rod for the hooked breach percussion rifle barrel in a bucket of hot, soapy water. I offer to demonstrate, none of the inline users wants to learn. They really just want a modern rifle, it is why Remington produced a faux bolt-action inline rifle. I call it the panacea rifle. Remington knows their market.

I guess there was a market for Goex after all. I switched to Swiss a good many years ago, so it's no surprise to me that Hodgdon has pulled the plug.
    Cognitive Dissident

Why is it we're told to support American companies yet they don't support us?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
    Why is it we're told to support American companies yet they don't support us?
    Mostly to support American workers. Also so that our money is circulated back into the US economy. We also need production inside the US because it only takes a presidential order to stop imports.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast