Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hodgdon® Announces Closure of GOEX Facility

Boolit Grand Master

Hodgdon® Announces Closure of GOEX Facility

http://namlhunt.com/goex-to-close.ht...CFs9YJH8irQZXY

Press Release
    September 27, 2021

Hodgdon® Announces Closure of GOEX Facility

Effective immediately, Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc. has made the decision to cease manufacturing operations at the company’s Camp Minden, Louisiana site while evaluating strategic options for the black powder business.

The business will wind down operations while an evaluation process on the future of the black powder business takes place. Strategic options for the GOEX and Olde Eynsford brands of black powder, along with the manufacturing capabilities, will include a potential sale of the business. All affected employees will be retained through December 31, 2021 to assist in an orderly closing of the site and receive
    severance commensurate with their years of service to the company.

The Hodgdon Powder Co., Inc has been honored to have been a part of the GOEX Powder legacy and sustains a fond appreciation for sporting customers who have enjoyed shooting GOEX powders.

About Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc.

Established in 1947 by Bruce and Amy Hodgdon, today, sons J.B. and Bob have grown Hodgdon Powder Company into the largest US supplier of smokeless, blackpowder and blackpowder substitute propellants. The company distributes gunpowder under the Hodgdon®, IMR®, Ramshot®, Acccurate®, Winchester®, Pyrodex®, Triple Seven®, Blackhorn 209® and GOEX® brands.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I feel sorry for you black powder shooters. Man that bites.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

All you guys making your own done drove them under!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy

Hope Swiss and the German Schuetzen brands can fill the hole.

Boolit Grand Master
    I learned long ago...it’s business. If you cannot make a profit, get rid of it. The numbers must have been bad or someone would have purchased the business. No one shuts down an operation without trying to find a buyer.
    Don Verna

This maybe the last of my BPcr shooting .... i was just getting deep into it and just purchased my Shiloh 1 year ago !!!!! There is one place up here in Alaska to purchase black powder and the only brand is Goex rrrrrh i got less than 15 pounds left !!!!! Dang it , this sucks!!!

Boolit Master
    We are seeing the end of the shooting hobby in this country. Covid was the final nail and has impacted the industry world wide. I do not think we will ever get back to the way things were only 10 years ago. I also sense a general lack of interest in the younger shooters for anything but "tactical" black plastic guns and commercial ammo by the case. Hand-loaders and bullet casting fans will go by the wayside. It's an unfortunate and apparent thing for those of us who load and cast but an unnoticed slip into oblivion by the general population who only cares to stare into their iPhone and iPod whilst consuming fake news. Sadly shaking my head.

Now what?
    What alternative subs can be used in BPCR loading? Some suppliers still have 1.5F. Could that be used in .45-70 loads effectively?
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Boolit Master

One little EO from the in dementia President will stop all import of Swiss and others claiming it is for the safety of the country from bombers.

Reading this post gave me a knot in my stomach. It seems to just keep getting worse. I have about 4lbs on hand, now what?
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master

The GoEX website doesn't mention closing. The fireworks folks use a lot of BP I wonder where they get their powder?

Boolit Buddy
    Wano make a lot of cracker powder, Fireworks, their (P) range for rifle etc shot very well in my 40/65 Roller.Swiss is also available here in AU.Not sure what Wano is sold as in the states. Mal.

Boolit Master
    Change.org has a petition against closure...not that it will help

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    this is at least encouraging, but my questions remain as to why an abrupt closure of the Goex plant with no set continuation plan ? No equity group holding company buyers ? this just doesn't make business sense.

Boolit Buddy
    On the other gun forums I frequent someone said there was an explosion back in January at Hodgdon's Louisiana plant. Someone else said no one was hurt as it is mostly automated. None of that seems like a reason to shut down but no doubt there is more to it, and probably not any of that good news for BP shooters.

In this day and age one wonders if there could be behind the scenes pressure from the feds to stop production? Very sad and scary times we live in. I fear Tar Heel is right in post #7.

Dave

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Very sad, but with the demand for smokeless and the increased use of BP substitutes I’ll bet those lines just weren’t profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by FarNorth45 View Post
    This maybe the last of my BPcr shooting .... i was just getting deep into it and just purchased my Shiloh 1 year ago !!!!! There is one place up here in Alaska to purchase black powder and the only brand is Goex rrrrrh i got less than 15 pounds left !!!!! Dang it , this sucks!!!
    Where have you bought black powder in Alaska? The only place I knew of was Great Northern Guns, and I hear they have gone out of business.

Boolit Master
    Maybe Hodgdon is looking the shake the Federal Gov. Money tree to have tax dollar pay for factory upgrades, like Harley Davidson Motorcycle and General Motors.

I though BP was a strategic resource with special purpose uses by the military.

I’ll have to learn to duplex my handloads in order to stretch my small supply of real OE BP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast