Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HodgdonŽ Announces Closure of GOEX Facility

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg13 View Post
    Where have you bought black powder in Alaska? The only place I knew of was Great Northern Guns, and I hear they have gone out of business.
    I was buying from Great Northern, they just gave me a name of a guy in Wasilla that just got fully licensed and runs it from his house . Its called Freedoms Armory, we called him yesterday and he told us he was unware of the shutdown but he had plenty with no limit and $28 a pound . I was taking off friday to go 400miles to pick up 15 pounds ....... but today he texted me I could have 5 pounds at $30 . Funny yesterday he said he would not go up on price and he had access to other brands through his distributor!!! I'm not driving 400mile for 5 pounds ....... and it T'ed me off anyway . I burned that bridge and told him no thanks I'll do buisness somewhere else . I'm saving my last 15 pounds , going to smokeless for now ( which i hate to do and haven't yet with my sharps) until i get down the process of making my own .. let the price gouging began !!!
    Last edited by FarNorth45; 09-30-2021 at 01:00 AM.

Boolit Master
    Maybe Hodgdon is looking the shake the Federal Gov. Money tree to have tax dollar pay for factory upgrades, like Harley Davidson Motorcycle and General Motors.

I though BP was a strategic resource with special purpose uses by the military.

I’ll have to learn to duplex my handloads in order to stretch my small supply of real OE BP.

I'm not going to panic yet... Goex will be bought or something will take it's place.

Thanks for the info. I've done business with Freedom's Armory in the past. 3-Bears at Pittman Rd in Meadow Lakes said they can sell BP if they can get it from their distributor, but 2 weeks ago their distributor only had 3 lbs of Pyrodex P. I have several old guns that I'm afraid to use anything but real black in, but I don't shoot them much and still have a few pounds of GOEX left.

Boolit Buddy
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    We are seeing the end of the shooting hobby in this country. Covid was the final nail and has impacted the industry world wide. I do not think we will ever get back to the way things were only 10 years ago. I also sense a general lack of interest in the younger shooters for anything but "tactical" black plastic guns and commercial ammo by the case. Hand-loaders and bullet casting fans will go by the wayside. It's an unfortunate and apparent thing for those of us who load and cast but an unnoticed slip into oblivion by the general population who only cares to stare into their iPhone and iPod whilst consuming fake news. Sadly shaking my head.
    You're blaming the wrong people. You need to go to a shooting match. The shooters are younger, more athletic, and greater in numbers than ever.

Guns of all kinds are flying off the shelves. I just got an email notification that a single action revolver I wanted a year ago is back in stock.

I don't know how unaware of what is actually going on someone would have to be to hold your position, but if you've been to a gun store since 2008, it should be obvious that you're wrong.

The biggest black powder shooters at my local cowboy matches are in their 30s. There is an old guy or two who does it, but it's the young crowd doing it every match.

Boolit Mold
    I hope somebody buys the business or supplies another brand to fill the void. A commercial product will be easier than making homegrown; however, I will print the info below....just in case.

There's nothing complicated about the formulation of black powder. It consists of charcoal (carbon), saltpeter (potassium nitrate or sometimes sodium nitrate), and sulfur. Charcoal and sulfur act as the fuel for the explosion, while saltpeter acts as an oxidizer. Sulfur also lowers the ignition temperature, which increases the combustion rate.

In commercial black powder preparation, potassium nitrate or another nitrate (e.g., sodium nitrate) usually is coated with graphite (a form of carbon). This helps prevent electrostatic charge build-up, reducing the chance a stray spark will prematurely ignite the mixture.

Sometimes black powder is tumbled with graphite dust after it is mixed to coat the grains. In addition to reducing static, the graphite reduces moisture absorption, which could prevent gunpowder from igniting.

Charcoal is used instead of pure carbon because it contains incompletely decomposed cellulose. It has a much lower autoignition temperature. Black powder made using pure carbon will ignite, but it won't explode.

Typical modern gunpowder consists of saltpeter, charcoal, and sulfur in a 6:1:1 or 6:1.2:0.8 ratio. Historically significant formulations have been calculated on a percentage basis:

Formula Saltpeter Charcoal Sulfur
    Bishop Watson, 1781 75.0 15.0 10.0
    British Government, 1635 75.0 12.5 12.5
    Bruxelles studies, 1560 75.0 15.62 9.38
    Whitehorne, 1560 50.0 33.3 16.6
    Arderne lab, 1350 66.6 22.2 11.1
    Roger Bacon, c. 1252 37.50 31.25 31.25
    Marcus Graecus, 8th century 69.22 23.07 7.69
    Marcus Graecus, 8th century 66.66 22.22 11.11
    Source: The Chemistry of Gun Powder and Explosives

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    Hand-loaders and bullet casting fans will go by the wayside.
    I think you are exaggerating.
    BP shooting may be getting out of fashion but handloading and casting is not.
    Not with the currently skyrocketing ammo prices and sketchy availability.

Boolit Grand Master

Those who continue to take care of their needs will survive and flourish.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I scored 5lbs Goex FF powder from Powder Valley a couple weeks ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12