MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with NOE sizer

Help with NOE sizer

I tried to do a search for this info on the site and found nothing. That couldn't be but that's what I found.

I tried to put GC on my NOE bullets using a LEE sizer which pushes the bullets through nose first. I think it will be much easier as NOE does it, base first. The problem? I must be an idiot. Can someone hold my hand and tell me (links would be better) what I need to buy. Yes, I know some of what I need will be out of stock, but I hope I can put it on backorder.

If it helps, I'm using Hi-Tek coating. FWIW, not really on subject, I've fired a bunch of these bullets so far w/o GC and checked the barrel and I see no leading.

Here's my mould but it shows 2 different type top punches, SAECO and Lyman, I have RCBS. Clearly I'm missing something, or I'm an idiot.
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...10-225-rn-ce3/

Boolit Master
    BJK:
    I use both types of boolit sizers, LEE & NOE.

The NOE system, once you get the 'bushing
    push thru size die' kit, offers many more diameter
    choices at less cost than the LEE.

To size base first, the NOE kit does indeed let
    you use your RCBS top punch.

The instructions I have clearly show the set up
    for either method, plus the nose sizing (with
    a separate bushing).

Hope this helps.

Boolit Master
    BJK:

I think I see the problem. The mould says use Saeco#
    or Lyman# top punch but doesn't mention RCBS#.
    The 'kit' instructions say you can use Lyman/RCBS.
    Hopefully your RCBS is very close to your boolits
    contour.

Boolit Master

Yea, Folks say ta can do that... Some use a tap tap tap to get the check on. But IMHO there are far far better ways. As you have seen you cannot get the check seated when there isnt enough resistance. So how in the world can this be right!?!?

The NOE kit gives ya a an anvil and a adaptor to accept top punch pushers. Gas checks are seated solidly true and proper EVERY TIME! No worries. Same tool accepts dies that will size bullets too!!

Its a extra step, but its the right way.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve had great success with my NOE sizer. When I bought mine, I don’t think they were offering the kit. I just bought the pieces individually. I’ve seated gas checks with mine without any problems using the bottom/base punch.
    The best advice I can give is to order a range of inserts. They’re not expensive and you will be glad you did. Be sure to put some sort of lubricant on the boolits before running them through the sizer, even if they are PCed.

When I wrote RCBS, I meant RCBS press. I don't know nothin' about SAECO or Lyman. I do remember seeing SAECO when I was a child, long time ago.

Still don't know what I need to buy for parts to order to get sizing NOE up and running which is what I was asking for. I saw their sizing kits, but there are options there and no explanations. I guess one needs to know what one wants to buy before even showing up on their site. Heck there is an oversize .30 sizer kit and a standard, and no explanation regarding either.

I did find an easier way to get the GCs on, maybe it's "the" way. I just put some GCs on the bench cup up. Then pressed the bullet base onto the GC. They stayed in place for the sizing crimping. They were actually already sized, I just ran them through to crimp the GC. It worked.

Would it be easier to put the GCs in place before coating makes the base larger? Then coat and size again? Or would that be a no-no?

I don't even know if I need a GC, but I get a lot less lead shaving when seating the bullet with a GC in place.
    Last edited by BJK; 09-27-2021 at 02:08 PM.

Boolit Master

NOE Top Punch Holder

BJK,

I hear the frustration. I often find it difficult to finger out what is needed and then find them on the NOE site, but they are there. I just spent 10 minutes finding the top punch holder you need for sizing n seating GC's bottom up. I'm gonna get me a couple extras the next time I order something for those additional/other operations on a sister press.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...-punch-holder/

This little beauty will hold any RCBS/Lyman/NOE top punch and will push your bullets through both the Lee and NOE sizers.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Thanks Oley55. You'll still read the frustration in my writing. It's not aimed at you or anyone here.

Yes, it's extremely frustrating. It's their website, they're doing the selling and it's like "who cares?" by them. Words cost nothing and a diagram of the parts required could also be shown. I put a bunch of stuff in my cart from the kit that actually isn't a kit but ala carte ordering. Maybe they'll still be there in the cart when my top punch is available, and maybe not. Who cares? But w/o the top punch I don't need the rest of it. I saw no way to backorder the top punch or I would have and paid for everything.

If I had know what to order when I bought my mould I would have back then.

I did find a video of their system on youtube that explained it. That's a sad state when one has to go there to find out what a company is selling.

When I bought my sizing die body, it came with a part that holds a top punch and fits in the press where your pushrod would mount. I think that is what you are talking about. This would enable you to size base first.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master

I was having a problem with what to order from NOE ... it was height of pandemic and I didn't want to call on the telephone .
    I went to NOE Forums and found a place to ask a Question ... I explained what I had and what I wanted to accomplish and asked " what did I need to get to do it ?" In a day or two I had three or four replies , one from Al Nelson himself... I'm glad I asked because I was going to order the wrong thing . You might try posting a question or ... Call them on phone ... if no one home leave a message , and you phone # and get them to call ... a real person could probly talk you right through what's needed and how to do it . Al's a real nice guy and always glad to help his customers .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

BJK, for what it's worth, they can hardly keep up with demand as is. A sophisticated web site won't help that at all. As mentioned their forum and the fellow on youtube who lives just down the road from NOE will get you most answers.

I'm not you, but I'd order everything I need that's available while it's available. You are likely to be in a situation where you will never be able to get everything you need in a single order. Something will always be unavailable at some time or another (during our current reloading supply and demand cycle).

As for a top punch you don't necessarily have to have THE exact top punch for your bullet. Just do some searching either on NOE or elsewhere and find a top punch that is close and then modify with some epoxy putty or even hot melt glue. Here is a thread where I am seeking information for doing just that.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-CTL310-158-2R

edit note: I have found that calling is best done first thing in the morning before Al heads out into the shop. 07:00-ish his time.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

I just looked at NOE’s site. You are right, it is not very straightforward about the sizers.

First you need the body and a bushing sleeve approximately the size of the boolit, larger for sure. It’s a tube. It guides the sized boolits up through the body. Those are the things in the photo laying down and one standing up. They show them for all different sizes, but you only need one for a given caliber. You then need the sizing bushing insert for the size you want to size to. Finally you need the push rod. I use à bottom push through and it works fine for seating gas checks. If you go for the nose push rod, you need to be sure it fits the shape of your boolit.

What is confusing is they don’t say if the bushing sleeve is included with the body. I hope it is. Here’s what they look like as replacement parts.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...acement-parts/

I’ve heard that people call them and they sometimes answer. I never had any luck with emails. If you have any other questions feel free to send me a PM. I’m in way different time zone and may not answer until tomorrow.

Have you slugged your bore to know what size bushing insert you need?

Boolit Master

RCBS and Lyman top/nose punches are interchangeable. They both will fit into either a Lyman 450/4500 or any RCBS Lube-Sizer.

I use My Lyman Lube-Sizer with gas check adapter to seat the gas checks before running them into a push thru sizer die.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

The die body comes with the bushing sleeves. These go in the top of the die body. They also allow you to use a lee red container to catch the sized bullets. The die screws into the press from the bottom. The bushing inserts into the bottom, and is held in place with an allen screw. The only thing besides the die body that you will need is the correct bushing and the pushrod. If you have a lee pushrod, of the same size, these work fine.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just need to leave a window open on my computer for my mould and update it every day to see if the top punch is available. Yeah I know about recent supply problems and how much these folks are working.

This is what I have in my cart. Anything I'm missing and need? I do have a LEE pushrod.

Top Punch Holder
    001 Push Through Size Die Body
    .309 Body Bushing (B309)
    .310 Body Bushing (B310)

Boolit Master

I had half a dozen odds n end items in my cart overnight (with the window open) and found it empty the next morning. May have been a fluke or just the way it is.....

The top punch holder came with my die body.

Clearly I'm going to have to discuss it with someone there or just not purchase from them. Their website leaves a great deal to be desired but I have no dog in this show, they do. Their "kit" picture shows lots of stuff with no explanations of what is included. I like the mould though! It works fine.

Thanks gents! I'll contact NOE or just not place an order and keep using the LEE sizer. I don't want to buy 2x what I need for parts, nor do I want to pay shipping 2x. I guess it's up to them since I will try to make contact. I don't expect them to sit by the phone waiting for my call.
    Last edited by BJK; 09-27-2021 at 10:59 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    Thanks guys. I guess I'll just need to leave a window open on my computer for my mould and update it every day to see if the top punch is available. Yeah I know about recent supply problems and how much these folks are working.

This is what I have in my cart. Anything I'm missing and need? I do have a LEE pushrod.

Top Punch Holder
    001 Push Through Size Die Body
    .309 Body Bushing (B309)
    .310 Body Bushing (B310)
    If you don't have the correct size push rod you'll also need that.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

Don’t give up on the NOE sizer. They are great, especially when you start getting into more different calibers, as most of us do. I did buy one Lee sizer just to get the plastic boolit catcher/holder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast