MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MP mold issue

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    Get the mold hot, that it takes 5 to 10 seconds for the sprue to solidify. This is the correct casting temperature range window.

Perfect fill out easy bullets dropping and slight frosting happens here.

Somewhere in this temperature range window you're going to find what works for you.

Now get it hotter, a very slight overheat. Should take about 15 seconds for the sprue plate to solidify. This is the cleaning temperature.

Get yourself a new clean white cotton rag and cut it into quarters. Use one of those rag pieces and dab it a bit with some synthetic two cycle oil, and wipe down everything, scrub all surfaces of the mold with the oilled rag.

This is the easiest and least time wasting way and least damaging way to clean the mold. The lead smears on the blocks will come right off. All the surfaces will now have a very very thin film of oil. Get back to your regular casting after doing this.

After three or four casts any oil that was in the cavities will have burned off.

Heat management is absolutely critical for the brass mold to function well.

Be safe.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    That is helpful, thanks. My sprues were liquid for about 4 seconds, which according to the advice on MP molds site, is where you want it to be. It seems that results in too cold of a mold.

Also, has anyone ever had to contact him and if so how long did a response take? I only got 3 of the small hollowpoint pins and was going to see if he could toss another in with a future order, but he hasn't responded in about a week.

Boolit Master

he is overwelmed by work and is a small shop, he does respond on here, you might try a pm on here.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Bub
    I did eventually get ahold of him, and over the weekend made me 2 of the molds I was looking for but have been out of stock, and is shipping the pin I was originally missing, very cool.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post

Something to be wary of with brass moulds is tin oxide build up. There are a couple of threads about that. If the brass is very clean it is subject to tin oxide attaching. An oxide layer/patina on the brass helps prevent that. This is about the only reason I would smoke a brass mould until it develops a natural patina.

Longbow
    Here's OP:s mold, it has more "tinning" than I like. Preventing this is a good reason for preparing brass molds by doing those heat cycles. Especially if you pour very hot.

Been there done that. The Dip (search) wipes that off with a Q-tip.

Boolit Master
    Petander, was that the 50/50 hydrogen peroxide/white vinegar mix you’re referring to?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Petander, was that the 50/50 hydrogen peroxide/white vinegar mix you’re referring to?
    Yes but I use 10% household vinegar & 30% H2O2.

And yes it makes lead acetate while it very efficiently dissolves lead. Don't touch it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post

And yes it makes lead acetate while it very efficiently dissolves lead. Don't touch it.
    That's good advice thanks, I'll clean up my original one, and I'm going to heat cycle my new ones a few times as well.

I got a .44 SWC mold and a 600 gr mold for my .500 S&W. They're like works of art. And it's amazing how fast he gets them to the US.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211028_134849.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	290979

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Please tell about the 500 smith and wesson and mold and planned handloads

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post

Sorry that I’m fuzzy on the concept; 1 to 1 proportions with your specific concentrations?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Sorry that I’m fuzzy on the concept; 1 to 1 proportions with your specific concentrations?
    Yes 1 to 1.

I did five heat cycles for my latest MP brass mold. 30 min each in 400° F oven, then cool to room temp. Repeat.

The next day first casting session , my sixth pour dropped good bullets.
    Last edited by Petander; 11-06-2021 at 08:25 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12