Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: Vihtavouri N3SH

Boolit Buddy

Vihtavouri N3SH

Hi All,

Has anyone used this powder in the past? It’s discontinued, but I picked some up for cheap a while back. The only thing I’ve used it in was 9mm and 45acp. It works well for those, and is clean, reliable, and accurate.

Data on it is about impossible to find.

Wondering if anyone here has used it for reduced loads in 7x57, 8x57, or 30-06, along the lines of Red Dot or Bullseye.

Thanks,

8mmFan

8mmFan.... you were reading my mind. I bought some in the last scare and I have is pistol caliber load data (Handloader magazine?).

I would like to stuff some 12 and 20 gauge hunting shells with it. Only shotshell data I have are the few listed in the old Lyman shotshell handbook.

Anyone have the VV 1995 or older reloader guide?

Boolit Buddy

I tried it with 12 gauge loads as I recall, and there was a lot of unburned powder left over in the barrel(s). I was not able to get it to work.

If no one responds here, I am going to call Vihtavouri and find out where it would likely be on a burn chart, and start trying to work up some reduced cast bullet rifle loads for it myself. Start very slow and work up.

8mmFan

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    That powder must be pretty old. There’s no sign of it on the internet. I doubt if Vihtavuori will give out any information now that it is discontinued. Everyone is afraid of getting sued these days.

Boolit Mold
    According to this page : http://www.gualandi.it/docs/tabpolv_2013_eng.pdf
    is N3SH and N340 the same powder.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hanssen View Post
    That’s an interesting find.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hanssen View Post
    VERY interesting!!! Thanks for digging that up and sharing it! Really appreciate that.

8mmFan

Boolit Buddy
    Just to tie this up, I finally got this back from VV, via tech support. I’ll say right up front, here, “to avoid any misunderstandings”, that they recommend destroying it.

This is copied word-for-word from the message:

“ ‘That powder is N344, disk shot gun powder. We have not manufactured that powder during my time and we are not doing that now days. Burning vivacity [sic] around N340-N350 and no info available. I propose to burn that powder away.’

In short. Do not use this powder. Either pour it out and burn it. Or dig a hole. Pour the powder in the hole. Fill with water and refill the hole.”

Direct quote.

That said, I have used this in 9mm and 45acp and it has worked out plenty well for plinker loads. In my view, when used with caution and if not trying to “push the envelope,” it has plenty of usefulness for common-sense pistol loads. I’ll add, again, what I said above: I did not have efficient results with it when I tried it as a shotgun propellant in a couple of loads.

8mmFan