WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Getting closer !!!!

Getting closer !!!!

This summer has been busy to say the least , and I'm just now getting back to work on my loads !!! This weekend i loaded up quite a few For my Shiloh 45-70 .
    32" barrel 1-18
    Starline brass
    530gr .443 Elliptical wrapped with#9 onion paper seated @ .100"
    Wlrm primers and .060 ldpe wad
    Loaded 82gr -88grs of goex 2f. All groups tested at 300yrds ...
    This is the last /best 88grs , 4shot group and average velocity of 1,316 fts ..... ES of 9fts .
    Trying to get a good load to try out for a 1,000 yrds . But i still need to buy a decent spotting scope also lol.
    What say you ? Do i got enough Velocity to stabilize that bullet out at 1,000 ? Group size is right at 3.25 " at 300yrds , i believe im getting close . I'll load up 10 more and see how this load does for sure .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210926_124358.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	289281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210926_124449.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	289282
    Last edited by FarNorth45; 09-27-2021 at 02:06 AM.

Banned

That target looks fine to me, you've got no windage issues, just vertical.

Forget spotting scopes, those things flat out suck for real long distances. You want, NEED a target camera. There's a lot out there and I've had three different brands so far, with the cheapest being better for me - Desert Precision Eagle Target Cam, $215/shipped. I've used it shooting at 700 yards and have tested it at 1300 yards, it's rated to over 2 miles.

Boolit Mold
    I'm encouraged as well. First test of my .45x2.4 PP loads this weekend.
    A little over MOA at 100 yds (that's all I have right now) Hoping to be able to test longer soon.

Thanks guys !
    Rainmaker , sounds like you are on your way ! I know i have really enjoyed the Journey.
    RFD ,
    I have really thought about a target cam , and still am ........ but i think both have their pros and cons . Good spotting scopes are expensive, but i do mountain hunting and need a good one for glassing . Also i think they would work for steel targets , walking shots in and changing yardages without have to move a camera..... but a camera would give me great view of paper target hits . I need both ha!ha
    How do you like the camera for walking in Shots on and how hard is it to see missed target shots ? Can you tell what sight adjustment need to be made if not on target ? I've never used one , but have been very interested in them .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FarNorth45 View Post
    .... How do you like the camera for walking in Shots on and how hard is it to see missed target shots ? Can you tell what sight adjustment need to be made if not on target ? I've never used one , but have been very interested in them .
    Target cameras flat out excel for easy spotting of holes in paper, or spatters on steel at whatever distance the camera will allow. Some "sight in" short distance cameras will go no farther than 300 yards, while the long range ones will do 1000 yards to over 2 miles.

They will all allow some manner of "blinking" - meaning, in a target face that's cluttered with dozens of holes, the last shot fired will "blink" on/off to show its precise position. Some will also offer more load development data for shots fired.

You will spend more than 10x the cost of a $200 Desert Eagle Cam to *attempt* to clearly see holes in paper at 1000 yards with the best of spotting scopes, while the cam shows the holes as clear as day, as if seeing them up close and personal - there is no guess work, the view is instantaneous, just look over at the screen of yer smart phone or tablet. What a Godsend.

Target cameras have nothing to do with "walking in shots" because they are aimed specifically with 3 to 8 feet of the target in question. You need to be able to get shots on the target *frame* first. For scoped rifles, getting "on the frame" is easy by using software to extrapolate scope elevation, usually after getting 100 yard dope, and a chronograph is an important tool in the process. Iron sight rifles may take take more work for figuring out rear sight elevation settings, but once a short distance mark is acquired (yes, a chrono to gain bullet speed will help heaps) long distance marks can be extrapolated to get bullets on the frame.

Yes, target cameras will require some setup time at the range. The long distance cams will have a camera transmitter (set up at the target) and a base station receiver. The setup process typically goes like this - take the camera and yer wifi smartphone/tablet down to the target and after setting up a target face or painting steel, set the camera down, turn on yer wifi device, acquire a connection to the camera, turn on the camera app, view the target face on your device and adjust the camera to best see the target face, that's it. Back at the shooting line, turn on the base station and aim its antenna at the target camera's position down range, connect your wifi device to the base station, view the target face on the camera app. Done. I use a separate power pack for the target camera and can easily get a minimum of 8 continuous hours of camera transmission time at distances of 700 yards or much longer. The base station uses much less power and can get by with just a rechargeable battery.

I won't go to any range without my Desert Eagle target camera ...

200/300 yard line at my club range ...

The ladder at the side of the pit is to escape in case a black bear wanders in - I kid you not!

The Eagle cam allows taking target face snapshots.
    This is the full wide view for how I set the cam, but I can finger adjust the screen to both reposition or get in real close to even better view bullet holes ...

Yes, I do like target cameras, and in particular the Desert Precision Gunworks Eagle Eye Cam.
    Last edited by rfd; 09-28-2021 at 06:42 AM.

Boolit Man
    That camera looks like a sweet set up for range work!
    A really good spotting scope will show you bullet holes at 300 yards if the light is just right and the target face is clean. At least that’s how it is with my Kowa.
    Still, if you have plans to shoot in any of the BPCR competitions, you will absolutely need a spotting scope. And of course, nothing beats a good spotting scope for glassing a mountainside for game.
    Far North. I believe you and I began paper patching at about the same time. Our loads are very similar. I even had some good luck shooting in competition this past season. I’m completely sold on paper patching!
    Keep up the good work!
    JKR

Banned

Believe me, I've spent far too long contemplating both the functional and dollar values of a great scope and/or good target camera system. I spent a lot of time in research for both. I've owned Kowa scopes and have personally tested 4 different target camera systems, of which 3 I've owned. Yes, these days if you shoot matches, particularly long range, a spotting scope will mostly be required if there is no range target camera system installed. The matches I attend employ 3 man squads (shoot, target pit, score), no range target camera system, and only one scope needed per group, so owning a scope isn't usually mandatory. A scope for hunting is nice, but so are a good pair of binocs. But for range work at ELR distances, scopes just can't compete with target cameras. However, I see ranges adopting target camera systems and my club range has installed a special system for high power rifles and fast bullets (which means it can't be used for BPCR events). Clubs and ranges are slowly getting on board with target cameras. It just makes sense, and the cost of a good target camera system has gone down over the years. Lots will depend on the distance, target face type, and scope quality, and how often you'll shoot where you must know shot placement at any distance without dickering over guessing what is a bullet hole and what ain't. What about an errant shot destroying the target camera? Always a possibility and more so with newbie shooter. An AR500 plate can be used to shield the camera, but not the antenna because it's required for line-of-sight to the base receiving station (antennas are cheap, like under $10). Also, picking out .45 bullet holes on a black target face bull @ 300 yards will require a very decent scope, and that scope might not suffice for smaller holes down to the 5.56 size. Lots to consider.

Boolit Grand Master
    rfd,

Thanks for the pictures and sharing your experience. So much better than reading some gun rag write up on something they got for free from an advertiser!!!
    Don Verna

Rfd , thanks a ton for that write , i really appreciate it !!!!
    Right now I'm trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to do for Blackpowder!!!! Goex was the only Available Blackpowder in Alaska and from one place only ........ currently trying to find out what to do !!!! Its a depressing day for me !!!

Banned

In two words - mail order. Plenty of it out there in 1-1/2f - so far.

I live in Alaska!!!! Not that simple unfortunately... has to get shipped to Seattle...... then barged up here !!!! I'm working on plans , dont know if i can afford it yet . I know Baco wanted a lot for shipping just to Seattle, then i gotta pay for barge shipping on explosive. We will see

I just found a guy a little further north ..... 180miles one way lol . He has got fully licensed and has plenty , no limit and $28 a pound . He was unaware of the shutdown , but said he has access to other brands through his distributor...... now i just need to make the 400 mile round trip lol

Banned

A trip well worth making. Buy all the powder you can as powder will be one of the new world order emerging currencies. Think I'm joking? I wish.