RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Martini Cadet receiver sight?

Banned

Martini Cadet receiver sight?

Picked up a little Martini Cadet action sporter today that has a lot of potential for fun. It needs sights. If a guy was going to mount a standard side mounted receiver sight to the action, which one is recommended?

Boolit Master
    If you can find a Parker-Hale #7a sight that would be the one to use. It mounts to the rear tang of the action rather than the side.

Banned

This isn't going to be a pretty rifle ever. I was wondering if one of the Williams FP designed for a flat sided receiver could work?

Boolit Grand Master

A side mounted would work but would also be dependent on the width of the receiver compared to the sight. Maybe a redfield Olympic and mount made to center it? Another consideration is cartridge its chambered for as the beam across the action may interfere with extraction ejection.

Anither option might be a tang sight similar to the marbles if one can be found that matches the tang angle

Banned

I think I'm gonna try a Williams sight for a Marlin 39A. Looking at the two, I think it'll work. Worst case, I've got a good sight for my 39A.

Gotta figure out a front now, I like brass bead fronts. I'm sure I can get something to work.

Boolit Grand Master

I have an original sight that I took off a Martini Model #5 and put a scope on it. It is available, I have no idea what it's worth but it won't be cheap, I know that.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I have an original sight that I took off a Martini Model #5 and put a scope on it. It is available, I have no idea what it's worth but it won't be cheap, I know that.
    Do you have a picture of it?

Boolit Grand Master

No, and right now I don't have a decent camera, either. Let me go look at it and get some ID?

Well, I do apologize - I went to look at it where it had been for years - and it wasn't there! I know my memory isn't all there but I thought I would remember selling it. But I must have and didn't remember. It has been surplus to my needs for years and thus available, just not put out there.
    Last edited by Wayne Smith; 09-29-2021 at 09:41 AM.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned

No problem. I think this sight for the 39A is gonna be just about right, I hope so anyway.

Boolit Master

Submitted for your approval:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150504_140554.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	289408

PH7A on my .32-20Kinda-Sorta. Running a Lyman 17A globe up front.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned

Thanks. This is a very light and small rifle, I don't think I want something that big on it as it will be for stalking after fox squirrels. That is a very nice looking sight, if I ever get a cadet to build a target rifle with, I'd definitely like that.

Boolit Master

Look on e-bay for a PH 7A or 8A, both tang sights. I have both on Martinis and you won't have to drill holes in your receiver to mount them.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Boz330,
    The Martini Cadet is Not drilled and tapped on the receiver tang like the 12/15 Club rifles,etc
    I have been sitting on a 7A sight for a while . Need to D&T my Cadet 357Mag for it. Now, lately
    I am thinking it would be easier to mount a Lyman Or Redfield on the left side of receiver as compared
    to figuring out the angles to drill for the 7A

beltfed/arnie

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    Boz330,
    The Martini Cadet is Not drilled and tapped on the receiver tang like the 12/15 Club rifles,etc
    I have been sitting on a 7A sight for a while . Need to D&T my Cadet 357Mag for it. Now, lately
    I am thinking it would be easier to mount a Lyman Or Redfield on the left side of receiver as compared

beltfed/arnie
    This is my thinking as well. If the 39A sight doesn't work, I'll get one for a 94 Winchester. Looking at the Williams I have on my 94, I'm pretty sure it would work OK.

Boolit Master

Boz330,

beltfed/arnie
    My mistake I was thinking small action.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Boz330,

beltfed/arnie
    You could cheat and superglue the sight in place then centre punch with an appropriate size one then drill them out with the holes as a guide.
    Then tap.
    Being steel on steel I was thinking of soldering them on.
    50/50 or 60/40 plumbers stuff not that useless electric solder.

I put Allen headed set screws in mine being rough and rural.
    A real job would entail a flat screw driver head.
    Definitely no Phillip headed monstrosity.

For the ultimate sight for a small/light rifle would be a $32 Skinner Lo-Pro (google), which takes a single D/T'd hole atop the rear of the receiver or the breechblock.

Once it's "on", run the elevation adjustment midway in it's range, then measure the distance between the aperture and the chamber C/L to determine the needed total front sight height from the bore C/L at the muzzle - adjust the front sight height by reducing the measurement by 1/2 the barrel thickness at the muzzle for what's needed to be mounted atop the muzzle.

The sight has an 8-40 threaded stem as standard, but can be ordered online directly from Skinner with a 6-48 threaded stem.

http://www.skinnersights.com/lo-pro_sight_7.html

Last edited by pietro; 10-22-2021 at 10:08 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride