Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me K11

Boolit Buddy

New to me K11

Just picked up my new to me K11. I got a good deal through Simpson Ltd. wood is a little beat up(I have seen a lot worse) but, the bore is like a mirror!!! Strong rifling. I think this is going to make a great cast bullet slinger!!! Thinking about my NOE 311299 bullet for her. It has a nose that drops at .300.http://<a href="https://postimg.cc/z...&#91;/img]</a>

Boolit Buddy
    [IMG] [/IMG]

When you get a chance, find a suitable screwdriver and take the butt plate off. You may find a "soldier's tag" underneath with the name and address of the Swiss citizen to whom it was issued.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah. I was going to do that. It has one of cleanest a shiniest Swiss butt plates ever however, the slots on the screws are buggered up. I have to figure something out. I have never seen a Swiss rifle w/ any kind of stamp on the butt stock besides the Swiss cross in shield cartouche.

Boolit Buddy
    I got the buttplate off. No tag.

Bought 4 Swiss rifles this past spring all from Simpson's. K11, 1911, k31 and the 1889.
    Put a Swiss products diopter sight on the k31. For some reason I like to shoot the long rifles more. Especially the 1889, it's a neat gun to shoot. Red dot will be your friend and the 299 should work well.
    Now if I could get them to shoot as well as my Ross rifle
    My 1911infantry is the most accurate followed closely by the k31, the load work continues.
    One thing I found out was that these rifles all shot high. Lowering the powder charge down brought the poi down. Have fun
    IB

Boolit Master
    Solothurn on the heel of the stock probably was in reference to the Canton, or "county" or district it was issued in. I have seen large numbers stamped in 1889's that signify which Canton they were issued to.

Did we meet last week at the Hawkeye match ? I was shooting the 96/11 on the south end of the line. I used to think the Swiss rifles were the homeliest and unhandy looking rifles that were ever offered on the surplus market for $89, boy was I dumb! Now they are becoming my favorite shooters. I'm sure yours will be great with cast. Like Iron Brigade says,the Swiss Products sights are excellent.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep. We did meet. They are still ugly as hell but, they can shoot.

Boolit Grand Master

Sweet cast boolit shooter ... you gonna like it .
    I got my K11 in Baton Rouge ... when the Lipsey family owned Steinbergs Sporting Goods and sold a lot of Army - Navy surplus . 1903A3 Springfield sold for $60 and the strange Swiss Push-Ma-Pullya rifles that you couldn't buy factory ammo for were in a barrel for $19.95 ... we were in high school but could come up with $20.00 ...me and my buddies all bought one ... I went back and bought a second after shooting mine ...super accurate rifle .
    Still got it and it has a longer throat than the K31 so much better for boolit shooting .
    And ...they kept them clean ... I don't remember one with a rusty barrel .
    You gonna have fun with it !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 09-27-2021 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spelling ...Steinberg's
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

As noted by others, the 1911 has a longer throat than the K31. Your barrel was probably shot a lot, before it came here. IIRC, NOE used to make molds intended for the K31: the nose was .297" to fit the top of the lands, the driving bands were .310" or so, and I believe there were two weights, 165 and 180 grains.

The Swiss have started making GP11 ammunition again, according to the Swiss Rifles forum.

Boolit Master
    I wish they used Boxer priming and exported a fresh batch to us.

Boolit Buddy

I really like the 1911s I have the G1911, they have a chamber that allows the use of a wide range of bullets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19x2400-WLRM-170gc .68@50yds half size.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	289532
    This is one of my best groups so far at .68" at 50 yards with a Lasercast .310 170GCFN (30-30 bullet).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18 2400 312299gc 50yd half size.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	289533
    With a 312299GC it does pretty well also.

Enjoy your K11 I wish I had bought a few more of the Swiss straight pulls back in the day

Tom

Boolit Grand Master

That K11 was my first rifle and the 7.5 Swiss was my first rifle cartridge to attempt to load for ...
    Couldn't figure out why the decapping pins kept bending . Local dealer had to explain to me the difference between Boxer and Berdan primed brass ...
    ... No Boxer primed brass were to be found in Baton Rouge in 1967 ... my rifle reloading almost came to a screeching halt ... The dealer told me I could resize 284 Winchester brass in my 7.5 Swiss dies and Wah-Lah I was back in business ... I bought every once fired 284 Winchester case he had !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    That .284 brass was rally GOOD STUFF! I had one lot of 50 that I reloaded 42 times!!!!! and it was still going strong when I started fooling with 8X57..............................

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Using the Ideal 311413 bullet in the K-11 and stock sights will produce accurate groups out to 1000 yds … mine does
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    I too have a love for the Swiss, but I am new to them, and so far only have a K-31 and a K11. Have not fired the K-11 much, other than to test for function.
    Still working out some small issues with my k31, and need to get back on that project, this winter. Getting 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards is pretty easy, but I think it should do better than that.
    So far the 30-165 Sil. From RCBS is the best bullet for the job. Overall a fantastic bullet in the K-31 and my 03-A3 as well as others.
    I have some trouble clambering, if I neck size only, and I the full length resizing shortens my case life. They will go in, but you have to run to bolt with some spirit, and I dont like that.
    Since there don't seem to be much availability of empty brass right now, and I dont have an abundance of brass, I have not been messing with it much.
    I did buy a lee collet sizing die a while back, with the hope that it might help me some. Have not messed with it yet as time as not allowed me to. So many projects and so little time to play these days.

O.P. mentioned getting a bargain from Simpsons. I think they are pretty retailish on price, on everything that I have seen, but for for buying a rifle sight unseen, I would highly recommend them
    I have bought from them twice, and they don't disappoint, my purchases have been better than advertised.
    The counter person went and got the exact rifle that I found on the web page, and gave me a virtual tour of it before I committed to the purchase. I thought his descriptions on both guns were accurate, and were slanted to the conservative side if anything.

Keep the Swiss threads going! I like to follow along..

Boolit Buddy
    Bad Ace Tactical sells a really nice scope mount for the K31 (not sure if it will fit other Swiss rifles). It's not super expensive (like $125) and it works great. My eyes (like the rest of me) are getting old and it's been a real pleasure to scoped.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I got a 100 pieces of brand new 7.5 Swiss PPU brass from Powder Valley and new collet dies from Lee. Just waiting for some boolits to get cast up. First up to bat is going to be NOE 311299. I will keep you posted.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 K31s that I have never fired; can't get a cast bullet to fit in the lead!!!! I have 7 Schmidts and the most accurate one is a 96/11 from 1910. If you want real accuracy, stay with the model 11 series. The best group out of my 96/11 was .327 at 50 yds with a Lee 180 gr. bullet........................

Boolit Master

To Ray: You probably have pretty new barrels on those K31. I participated in two group buys about 15 years ago for bullets with a special taper, for such barrels. I believe one of the custom mold makers still offers them.

Edit: Found one: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....sg1423#msg1423
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...1-k31-NOE-Mold
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...&highlight=AA7
    Last edited by NuJudge; 11-15-2021 at 05:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast