WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: Alloy for .45-70, and pb checks?

Alloy for .45-70, and pb checks?

I am about to start casting for my brothers Browning 1885, we plan to stay with 'Trapdoor loads', and within 100 yards. I have a Lee 400 grain mold and 'push thru sizer' coming. I have some aluminum pb checks for my 45 Colt that I hope will work? I am thinking about using a 2.5% tin, 2.5% antimony, and 95%? Am I headed the right direction?
    Thanks, hc18flyer

Boolit Mold
    Hi. Are you powder coating the bullets, or using regular lube? If powder coating in the 1100 til 1300 fps range, I do not think you will need gas checks. If you use regular lube, you probably will. 95/2,5/2,5 is a good alloy for the intended use

Boolit Master
    I believe in putting a check on any bullet designed for them, I don’t know if that lee 400 is or not. Your 45lc gas checks will probably work.

That said, at those velocities you don’t need one. I’d get a mold that isn’t shanked and powder coat.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I shoot un checked GC boolits all the time with PC in my 45/70. If you are going for the utmost accuracy maybe there’s a difference. When I shoot greased boolits, often with BP, I always use plain based.

Your alloy should be fine for what ya want to do with it.
    At trapdoor speeds, it doesn't have to be harder than Chinese Algebra anyway.

Double check, but I think the .45 rifle stuff is .459 inches in dia. and the .45 handgun is .452.
    Your checks & sizer choices may or may not work for the rifle.

However; at trapdoor speeds, and especially if you powder coat, you shouldn't need the gas checks.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy

The Lee 405 will be fine without your plain base checks. I would use a .459 sizer or just shoot them as cast.

As far as alloy for those velocities it's probably not going to make much difference as long as your bullet diameter is a couple thouish over groove diameter. The Winchester cartridges of old were 16:1.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0002 50pct.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	289316

They used to put the reloading data right on the box

Tom
    Last edited by hpbear101; 09-27-2021 at 03:30 PM.

I tested PB 45 pistol checks and they will fit on 45-70 r bullets. I put them on mine sized at .460 and they fit fine.

Boolit Buddy
    If they fit that is fine, but it also tells you they are not 45 pistol checks, or your bullets are not .459 rifle bullets. A .452 check will not fit a .459 base. Happy shooting. Wallacem inGa.

Boolit Grand Master

I also have tested my 45 cal PB GCs made from .006 aluminum with a newly acquired Pat marly GC maker on my "as cast' 45-70 bullets. They do fit on those that run up to .460 "as cast" but require pre GC seating before sizing on the larger .462+ cast bullets. I haven't shot any yet and am not sure how they would work on the Lee 405 HB bullet. I expect them to work fine on the flat based PB bullets.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Larry, they are the pb, not the hollow base Lee's. Yesterday I ordered a Lyman .459 sizer. I have TAC1 lube in my sizer. Will Ben's Liquid lube provide enough lubrication in the 1885's long barrel? Thanks, hc18flyer

Boolit Grand Master

Unless you are really pushing velocity/pressure I doubt you will need gas checks. I used to have a converted Siamese Mauser and Marlin 1895 (microgroove) and used PB boolits in both. The Siamese Mauser was originally fed a diet of rather hefty loaded Lyman 457125's (500 gr. PB) which recoiled me senseless! Those were loaded to top end for the Ruger #1/Siamese Mauser. I started downloading some after the first few trips to the range.

No leading that I recall with the 457125's.

When I got the Marlin later my preferred boolit was the Lyman 457124 (385 gr. PB) which I loaded to top end Marlin pressures (I was younger and dumber then... well younger anyway) with no leading and good accuracy.

I loaded the 457124's up for the Siamese Mauser and found I got a bit of leading in the last couple inches of the barrel. At that time I decided to try .410 fiber wad under the boolit and that solved the leading.

In the end I used more moderate loads for the 1895 in both guns. There is little need to use top end loads and burn that much powder or tolerate that much recoil!

Nothing wrong with using gas checks if you have them but I'd try some loads without first to see if they are necessary and with trapdoor loads, I doubt it.

Longbow

PS: These were all ACWW boolits. I seldom make or use specific alloys or even add tin.
    Last edited by longbow; 10-01-2021 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added PS

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I also have tested my 45 cal PB GCs made from .006 aluminum with a newly acquired Pat marly GC maker on my "as cast' 45-70 bullets. They do fit on those that run up to .460 "as cast" but require pre GC seating before sizing on the larger .462+ cast bullets. I haven't shot any yet and am not sure how they would work on the Lee 405 HB bullet. I expect them to work fine on the flat based PB bullets.
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I realize I may not need the pb checks, but I could use a softer alloy with them. I found a 1/4" socket that just flairs them enough to snap on. They are light weight pop can material. The Lee 405pb mold and alloy combo I used, doesn't quite 'cleanup' when run thru my Lyman .459 lube/sizer die. My brass needs trimming, and I needed to order a pilot and collect for my trimmer. Next week I should be set to develop some loads for the Browning 1885. hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    trap door loads dont need gas checks in my 1895 .

Boolit Master
    45 cal gas checks fit rifle and pistol bullets

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    Larry, they are the pb, not the hollow base Lee's. Yesterday I ordered a Lyman .459 sizer. I have TAC1 lube in my sizer. Will Ben's Liquid lube provide enough lubrication in the 1885's long barrel? Thanks, hc18flyer
    I will use them on true PB bullets. Might be ok at TD pressures with the Lee 405 HB but at the higher pressures for '86s, No 1s and my Siamese Mauser I won't even bother trying on the HB bullet. I already have a 45-300-FN, a 457483 and a C457-300-FN GC moulds so no need to try to GC the 405 HB.

TAC1 should be an adequate lube with the GC'd bullets. I haven't tried Ben's Liquid so can't comment there. I use White Label 2500+.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla