Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Tire shop score results

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico

Tire shop score results

Hit up the local tire shop a few days ago, results are as follows:
    133 pounds of rendered out ww metal
    21 pounds of pure lead ( stick on weights)
    Zinc , haven’t weighed it up yet.
    Price was very reasonable. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1AFB6E0-BDEA-4388-A8AA-E7BDFB474419.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	289270
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

Hey, nice score and nice work. What kind of bullets do you plan to cast with them?
    Last edited by Taterhead; 09-26-2021 at 03:48 PM.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master

Taterhead, I’ll use this, add 2% tin by weight, then cast 22,9mm,40,44,and high velocity 30 calibers. Probably use it by itself for buckshot also. 12 gauge Slugs get range scrap. 38 wadcutters gets range scrap. Get this amount every couple months. After some more testing, probably going to use Hardball ( 92/6/2 ) for high velocity 30 caliber.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Of the 133 lb of WW, do you know how many lbs of WW there were? What percent turnout did you have?

edit: Looking back now I can see I didn't word my question very good. My question "should" have read, "how many lbs of lead WW did it take to get the 133 lb of clean lead"?

You surely did make a good score.
    Last edited by KenH; 09-27-2021 at 04:49 PM.

Boolit Master

Ken, the 133 pounds is the result of the remelting. I had probably 75-80 pounds of steel and then there was the zinc, which I haven’t melted yet! This was 2 5 gallon buckets of all the stuff from the tire machines. I bought bulk, no weight , just a price for, “ this is what I got, what’ll you give me for it type of thing” I have a good rapport with the owner as we are lifetime friends. I was satisfied, he grabbed the money, all was good!

Boolit Bub
    That sounds like a pretty good haul. I miss those days around here. Very lucky to come across any lead wheel weights anymore. I keep open lines with plumbers and contractors and still do pretty well with roofing lead and lead pipe. More than I can use anyway. But I use it for everything from decoy weights to round ball to sinkers.
    How meaningful can you be, there is only so much to say before you are talking too much.

Boolit Grand Master

Budzilla;
    You did GOOD! Good Show!

Dale53

Boolit Mold
    where I am at (WI) it can be sporadic on lead COWW. last run purchased 700+ pounds of WW, only 100+ pounds was lead. rest was steel & zinc.
    so you got a nice score for sure!
    I am always hunting for the COWW.

Boolit Grand Master

It sounds like you came out pretty good.

Around here I am seeing about 60% lead, if I count the stick-on weights. I'm seeing less Zinc and more steel. I'm also seeing more stick-on weights. The lead % has gradually been falling.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    That pile of lead in the photo doesn’t weigh more than 133 pounds?

Boolit Master

Greg, yessir it does weigh more. 154 to be exact. The 133 was the coww only. The other little pile is the stick on weights.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    It sounds like you came out pretty good.

Around here I am seeing about 60% lead, if I count the stick-on weights. I'm seeing less Zinc and more steel. I'm also seeing more stick-on weights. The lead % has gradually been falling.
    That is also about what I have found through my local farmer's tire store. Like my cousin said "find a tire shop that is about a mile out of town and a quarter of a mile down a dirt road' ... ' those folks will not be messing with the fancy sedans and such ... just heavy farm trucks".
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    That pile of lead in the photo doesn’t weigh more than 133 pounds?
    Was thinking the same.

Had to get some front-end work done on the wife's Envoy, picked-it up last night. After handing over more than $1,500 (vehicle has north of 200K) I ask if it came with a complientery bucket of used wheel weights...it did, but he only had a third of a bucket or so. I keep telling myself to stop collecting free (I guess those weren't exactly free) lead, but it is a hard habit to break! I might have a ton of lead, should get to selling some before it ends-up in the land fill...have several reloaders around, but no other casters I know of.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master

Guys, I weighed that pile on an old scale, mechanical type, so it might be off but I cross checked it so it’s close enough for me. remy3424, it is a addiction when looking for lead wheel weights! I,
    Like you, might need to turn loose of some lead before it ends up at the scrap yard after I’m outta here. But, till then, if you need some lead, I’ll help a fellow caster out!

Good job! Good cache!

I do the same. I’ve come up with a mix of SOWW and Hardball. It is approx. 11.3 BHN and even shows expansion. I have shot it in 10mm and will use it in my 9mm. I’m a new guy, so certainly don’t know everything, but this does not lead my 10mm pistol or 10mm carbine.

SN 1% SB 2.57% PB 96.4% ; Simply put, Hardball bars are 5.25# and I add 7# SOWW. I used the calculator to figure it out.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    Guys, I weighed that pile on an old scale, mechanical type, so it might be off but I cross checked it so it’s close enough for me. remy3424, it is a addiction when looking for lead wheel weights! I,
    Like you, might need to turn loose of some lead before it ends up at the scrap yard after I’m outta here. But, till then, if you need some lead, I’ll help a fellow caster out!
    Yeah, scrounging for lead can become addictive! I don't know why unless its because you witness turning a dirty pile of scrap into a nice clean ingot and then turn that ingot into a nice looking bullet.

I no longer look for lead but I still take it when the network that I spent years developing produces it! I save all of my years scores up and me and a buddy or two will have a joint smelting party in the late winter or early spring. I usually have about two 5 gallon buckets of sorted weights by then and a few other pieces of scrap. Usually stuff like cable sheathing/cable splices, battery cable ends or duck decoy/fishing weights.

But I have seen to it that my family understands that my lead stash has a certain value and that I would like for it to go to another caster.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve been collecting range scrap for five years now. I have a good stock of ingots, but where I collect, the lead averages on the hard side. It was great when I was shooting smokeless in rifles, but now I’m pretty much into muzzle loading and those guns prefer pure lead. I now find myself searching for pure lead, but I keep collecting the range scrap. I can’t just leave it there. I guess I’m addicted!

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, it is an addiction!

Boolit Master
    I really enjoy spending time in the garage melting lead scores into ingots. Can be hard on the back though.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"