RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Shooting Sticks

Boolit Buddy

Shooting Sticks

I'm hunting with a large revolver this year and considering buy a portable support. I may be walking and need to take a standing shot or sitting on a stump or log, so I would prefer something adjustable. Anyone have any real experience with a support like this?
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Grand Master

The traditional cross sticks with a swivel will make a good rest but are slow ti set up. Use 2 sticks and a heavy o ring to make the tie. these can be spread open to adjust for height and the o ring rolled up or down also to adjust the vee on top. But as said they are slow and can be cumbersome to carry. The od Buffalo hunters made good se of them but they set up and let the herd come to them

A walking staff made up so that its about shoulder height or even a little taller of a dia shape comfortable to you hand isnt as solid but does offer a good brace, and also an aid to covering rough terrain. This one allows you to use your offhand as the rest sliding up or down as needed and resting the gun on your hand at the junction, If using a revolver you will want a leather glove.

Boolit Grand Master
    Like country gent, I use a walking stick. Nothing fancy required. Practice a little and you'll probably like 'em as much as I do. I have made various cross stick set ups, and they work pretty good. Once when I was anticipating a long walk, I made some out of arrow shafts. Drilled a hole through each and pinned them together. Really light weight and firm. I adjusted elevation merely by rocking fore or aft. Good luck.

I purchased these from Amazon:
    Polaroid 72" Photo / Video Pro Ultra Heavy Duty Monopod For Digital Cameras & Camcorders

Hammers Precision V Yoke Rest Mount Attachment with 1/4-20 Camera Thread for monopod Shooting Stick Tripod

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mono pod.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	289298

Name:	Gun support.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	289299
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I purchased these from Amazon:
    Polaroid 72" Photo / Video Pro Ultra Heavy Duty Monopod For Digital Cameras & Camcorders

Hammers Precision V Yoke Rest Mount Attachment with 1/4-20 Camera Thread for monopod Shooting Stick Tripod

Name:	Mono pod.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	289298

Name:	Gun support.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	289299
    That's a good idea. I already have the walking stick for my camera equipment and hadn't given that a thought.
    The stick works great to stabilize a camera. No reason it should not work with a firearm.

Boolit Buddy
    I borrowed a Primo monopod today. Not to bad. Takes some getting used to. I think I'll make a tripod contraption this week and give it a try.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown