RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Fart spray to the rescue

Boolit Master

Fart spray to the rescue

With two small kids and not a lot of time Saturday night means one of two things. Relax and watch Murder She Wrote by candle light or get into the garage and make some boolits.

Using my new MP hollow point mould to make some 380 auto baby boolits wasn't going so well. After she warmed up there was one pin in particular that wasn't playing nice. After a short while I was banging on my handle the way Animal plays the drums. A huge waste of time and other people were trying to sleep.

I was about to call it quits when I remembered I had a can of Frankford Arsenal mould release in the garage. I never used it for the intended purpose but at this point I didn't have time to cool everything down and polish my pins. A few squirts directly on the pins gave me silky smooth operation for the next 500 drops or so.

I would highly recommend picking up a can and coating your hollow point pins before using.

I did the same thing on the pentagon pins for my MP mold and I get a lot more consistent results.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    How often do you need to coat them? Each time or does it last a while ?

Boolit Master

What a disappointment I was looking forward to how you used a can of fart smelling spray to keep everyone away and give you the time and peace to cast .

Well if the spray worked on your pins for easy relief that is good also , wished I had bought a few of the fart bombs at the novelty store but I thought the price was high , but there have been a few times they would have been worth it .

Boolit Master
    I had a friend once that thought his house was haunted. He asked me what he should do? Should he call a priest? An exorcist? Maybe consult some paranormal crackpots? Nawh!! I just told him to go on a strict all burrito diet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    How often do you need to coat them? Each time or does it last a while ?
    This was the first time I coated the pins, but I have coated my ladle in the past and it worked well for that too.

I only used a little squirt on each one and it lasted for a good hour before they started to get a little sticky again.

Next time I cast with pins I'm going to give them a few good coats before I start. That should last at least one whole session.

My ladle, well prepared, will last 4 or 5 casting sessions without a touch up.

Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    What a disappointment I was looking forward to how you used a can of fart smelling spray to keep everyone away and give you the time and peace to cast .

Well if the spray worked on your pins for easy relief that is good also , wished I had bought a few of the fart bombs at the novelty store but I thought the price was high , but there have been a few times they would have been worth it .
    This was what I was thinking when I clicked on the link...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

I use synthetic 2 stroke oil and a Q-tip - same results.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    I use synthetic 2 stroke oil and a Q-tip - same results.
    I'll Second that motion !

Don't spray your mould cavities with Drop-Out ... it builds up and is a bugger to remove .
    The Drop-Out is good to spray on the sides of your cleaned or new melting pot and to spray a lead dipper with ... lead and build up doesn't stick and it causes no build up problem inside a pot or on a dipper .
    I cast with an old school Lyman ladle with the side spout and my old one would get coated in lead / dross and crud ...
    I bought a new ladle , sprayed it inside and out with Drop Out ...and Wah-Lah ...No lead sticks to it ! It's amazing
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"