WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: "American Browning" 16g A5

Boolit Buddy

"American Browning" 16g A5

I just inherited my Dads A5 and would like to replace the recoil and action springs.
    Remington made(Ser# A18873), I think in 1944/45 when the Germans still controlled FN. The recoil spring has square material instead of round stock. It looks collapsed at 6". I have the friction rings figured out. It appears to have more in common with a Browning made A5 than a Remington model 11. Does anyone know where to get the springs for this model? A lot of conflicting info out there. Also, is there supposed to be a buffer in the back of the receiver? Thanks

While barrels & stocks are not interchangeable between Browing and Remington A-5's, the recoils springs are, regardless of square/round stock.

MGW has them in stock @ $13: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/B1111379

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    pietro is correct to point stock is same all were round grip barrel NO
    12 and 16 used same are looking for the main mag spring
    google that,ebay , now one in the stock is a gun part

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks,
    I did see the disclaimer on the MGW website that stated--- "Browning Auto-5 parts will only fit Belgium and Japanese manufactured Auto-5 Shotguns. Browning Auto-5 Parts, Barrels & Stocks will not fit Remington Model 11 or American made Browning Auto-5 shotguns that were actually made by Remington" Its confusing. It was also stated by some that the FN were metric and Remington was inch pattern. I don't see where there is a buffer, but some mention there is one? I am also looking for some spare parts(extractor, firing pin, springs etc) that would keep this running on a hunting trip.

Boolit Master
    now you are getting in some parts that Dont interchange
    the big recoil that goes mag tube is same rings are same extractor is rem 11 barrel is rem 11 bolt is rem 11 type

if gun is that bad part it out. most of the wood didnt match and many forearms split at the back
    i did have one,sold but found out a lot about them
    few rare 1946 20s . but very pricy

Boolit Master

The Remington Model 11's often fail by having the grooves in the breach bolt break away from the main body of the block.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks TMT's
    The gun is in NRA very good condition. I just don't want to batter it with bad springs. I will look at the Rem 11 parts for spares.
    It does have a split forearm that I need to fix. Its definitely a research project!

Boolit Grand Master

I have ordered and used the recoil spring on the magazine tube and the bolt recoil spring from MGW and they fit my Remington 11 perfectly. I face I ordered a split carrier and modified my model 11 to load like a later model Browning.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    I ordered the 3 springs and will look for REM 11 spares. I’m going to put a few field loads thru it to see how it runs. I need to get some more components to reload for it and might try some bismuth shot for ducks.

Boolit Buddy
    My MGW Springs arrived. Big difference on the recoil spring. 1.5” longer and stronger.
    It takes much more force to push the barrel down when the friction rings are set to heavy. I need to research 16g components and start looking for hulls and wads. I just have a Lee Load All press and hope it sizes hulls ok for semi autos like mine.