MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Found out my great-grandfather was a psychopath.

Boolit Grand Master

Great stories here but remember that people are not black and white, they have all shades of gray. My grandfather walked onto Omaha Beach and then across Europe into Germany. He also hated cats so much he would put kittens into a burlap sack with rocks and fling it into the lake.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

My wife had an uncle that had a run in with the law. When he enlisted in the Navy, they asked if he had ever been convicted of a crime. He hung his head and said "Yes sir". They then asked what it was, he said "Painting a horse". He was inducted, he and one of his brothers was on the Arizona Dec 7, 1941. Both survived.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

I had a grandfather, many generations removed, that was fond of kidnapping people and holding them for ransom. He also fomented two rebellions and was responsible for killing many people. Being exiled for two years as the governor of Bordeaux, he was so efficient at collecting taxes that he was know as the butcher of Bordeaux. His name was Henry Percy, 3d Earl of Northampton and known affectionally as "hotspur". Look him up on Wickipedia.

As I ashamed? I wish I could have ridden with him.

My great grandfather was William Anderson Hatfield, AKA-Devil Anse Hatfield. My grandfather was elected sheriff of Logan County West Virginia in 1928 and he had the best moonshine still in the county according to the family. Great grandpa did have this thing about feuding with his neighbors on the Kentucky side of the Tug River.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    My great grandfather was William Anderson Hatfield, AKA-Devil Anse Hatfield. My grandfather was elected sheriff of Logan County West Virginia in 1928 and he had the best moonshine still in the county according to the family. Great grandpa did have this thing about feuding with his neighbors on the Kentucky side of the Tug River.
    I was told that one of my great grandfathers was a stone mason, and used to run the whores with Bob Hope's grandpa. No freaking clue if this is a true story or not. His son, my paternal grandfather, was supposedly an enforcer for the Mafia. I don't know if that is true or not, either, but they sure had a bunch of photos of him hanging out with folks wearing zoot suits and fedoras. There are a bunch of drunks and druggies in the family, both sides, and some good folks. I decided a long time ago not to be one of the drunks or druggies, but I'm not sure I made it into the other group, either.

Bill

Boolit Master
    I have one of Australia's worst Rapists as a relative and looking forward to the day he dies and goes to hell. I have always lived by the belief you can pick your friends but not your relatives. I don't believe any here have a reason to feel any shame for the actions of a relative. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    The family tree is as strait as a telephone pole,
    We believe in good breeding and not telling tales of the family.
    Like grandmaw and her sisters ran a boarding house in Port Author,Made bathtub Gin
    and hid out ship jumpers from Norway in The big Thicket country.
    My family could be Saints !

Boolit Grand Master
    I have seen losers beget losers a lot more than "good" people coming from "bad" families. It does not mean the chain cannot be broken but if I had to bet, I know how I would place my wagers.

We are affected by our family and especially by our fathers. For anyone who doubts that, look at the result of 70% of blacks growing up without a father. If family did not matter, we would not have the mess we have.
    Don Verna

Not everybody had Ozzie and Harriett for ancestors. Every bad person was somebody's child and somebody's parent. All that really matters is who we are. It is up to us to give honor to a name and family that will pass on to our children and grandchildren. Each generation is a chance to start fresh.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    You must be related to Tim Kennedy?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Her side was from 2 brothers who escaped jail in France, came here through Canada. Somebody on her side was a 'wife' of Jesse James. My g.grampa won a case before the supreme court against the railroad. Had a g. uncle who worked with JCP when they were young men. Mom's side was some sort of indian agent in OK territory.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    There is a Heinlein quote I like about family: I met this sad little lizard who said he was a brontosaurus on his mother's side.

Where we came from is how we got here where we are, today. But it is our decisions that make us who we are. Lots of people out there doing the best they can. Sometimes that ain't too good. Sometimes we learn to do better, sometimes not.

I resemble that remark.

Bill

Boolit Master
    I was adopted out of Winnipeg Manitoba at the age of 8 months. The one attempt I made to find birth family information was derailed due to records being sealed. My adopted family were top of the heap!! My history starts with me.
    R.D.M.

There's an old saying:
    People who spend all their time talking about how great their ancestors were are just like potatoes. Their best parts are underground.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

The worst that I know of in my family was both grandfathers were bootleggers. Mom's side, full complete active, up to and including a conviction and being supeonaed(sp) to testify against the local sheriff in his corruption trail.

IIRC, The governor presided over the corruption trial it was such a big deal.

My dad's side, he just took cash for letting the bootleggers stash whisky in the corn schocks. His farm was less than a half mile inland from the west end of Lake Erie, off a small creek.

The other grandfather was the one driving the model T across the ice from Ontario.

They lived ~ a mile from each other, one a farmer, the other a commercial fisherman, work boats, seine nets and selling fish by the ton.

The sheriff tried to sell his car back to him after he abandoned it and ran for for the marsh after a hot pursuit across the ice.

Surprise, surprise, the whisky was nowhere to be found when it was returned for $300 cash.

Boolit Master
    My brother, the family geneologist, found these. Our Grandma's brother.

You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your relatives.

Boolit Buddy
    Sometimes its better to leave sleeping Dogs lie.

Cheers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Jack View Post
    You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your relatives.

I believe it is "you can pick your nose, but not your family."
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

This reminds me of the "tell all" 90 day fiancé with the exception that the host will be "sleepy joe" LOL. My future daughter in law got one of those "23 & me" kits. I hope it's not too accurate cuz my family will be in trouble! I won't disclose my ancestry on here but lots of em used Thompson's.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast