MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lead melting pot recommendations

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I've been using a turkey fryer and a cast iron pot for about 6 or 7 years. I needed a larger pot that held more so smelting and mixing alloys could be done more efficiently and faster. This is what I've been using.

This was a 20 pound tank with an put of compliance valve that someone left at the rubbish transfer site that cost me nothing. The propane business was nice enough to remove the valve for no charge. He suggested when I told him I was going to cut the tank to melt lead he suggested I fill the tank with water and Dawn dish detergent an let it set for a couple of days and then rinse it out two or three times before cutting an fill it with water when I start the cutting. I cut mine a little higher than some but I wanted as much capacity as I could get out of it. I've planned a trapizoid shape stand that the pot will rest in an it will be tall enough that my current fryer stand will fit underneath the pot in the new taller stand. I've still got to weld the four angle iron tabs on the sides of the tank but this project has been on the back burner since last year so I'll keep any future updates posted on the "what did you do in the reloading room today thread.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I cut down an old Freon tank, similar to your propane but about 2/3's the size. It work ok but I still don't think you can beat cast iron for heat transfer and melt time from a empty pot.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I cut down an old Freon tank, similar to your propane but about 2/3's the size. It work ok but I still don't think you can beat cast iron for heat transfer and melt time from a empty pot.
    I figured since my goal was only getting my lead melted into ingot form the quickest way and having a great enough quantity to not have to pour small batches constrained due to pot capacity. With a high BTU burner along with my weed burning propane torch I can get lead to liquid state and fluxed is the goal I'm aiming for. I'm then able to pour many 10 pound bricks in very short order. I'm not planning on trying to be efficient on propane use. I want it melted, fluxed and poured into molds in as short a time as possible. I won't be using tank to ladle bullets from. My goal is to get 10 or 12 of these bricks quickly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

To speed the melting add a quart or two of used motor oil to the pot after it warms up a little and ignite it as soon as it starts to smoke. Will add heat and flux at the same time.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123