Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Shooting a .41 rimfire Remington double derringer

Boolit Master

Shooting a .41 rimfire Remington double derringer

I imagine very few, if any people today have seen an original Remington double derringer shooting original style black powder .41 rimfire shorts. Mine are original style copper rimfire cases that have been reprimed, then loaded with 12.0gr of 3F and an original style bullet. Contrary to what you may read on the internet, it is a formidable cartridge at card table range on a soft target. Check it out

https://youtu.be/XeQVLCbdXGk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210814_085036_copy_1797x454.jpg  

Boolit Master
    outstanding, keep em comming! I would guess that when the rim fills up with hammer dent's the shells are relegated to the brass bin? or can the dent's be swaged back out? just courious?

Boolit Master
    what was the style of bullet that you used in them? and did you cast them in what mold?

Boolit Master

The rim can only take so much of a beating. I try to iron out the dents, but am only partially successful. So yes, I'm sure I can only reload them so many times. Bernie at Old West bullet molds sells the mold and bullets. I just bought some bullets from him. I also bought some bullets and reloadable brass cases from an outfit un France. Both work well.

Nice work. Can one just buy the priming compound? I have a 160 grain short colt mold. I am thinking I could somehow grind the round nose to a sharp point to make bullets like yours.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    Nice work. Can one just buy the priming compound? I have a 160 grain short colt mold. I am thinking I could somehow grind the round nose to a sharp point to make bullets like yours.
    Yes. This is what I use.
    https://22lrreloader.com/products/pr...iming-compound

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    The rim can only take so much of a beating. I try to iron out the dents, but am only partially successful. So yes, I'm sure I can only reload them so many times. Bernie at Old West bullet molds sells the mold and bullets. I just bought some bullets from him. I also bought some bullets and reloadable brass cases from an outfit un France. Both work well.
    thank you for the reply to my questions. you are very helpful to those of us who are querieos on how to do it.

Boolit Master
    God Bless America the land of the free, where free men can have and use such pieces of history. Regard Stephen

Boolit Master

I saw some from back in the day when I was still Cowboy Shooting. Most of them feed from a Blue Navy Arms box of BP loads from a run in the 1970's ?
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

The Navy Arms ammo was all smokeless as far as I know. But those are the cases I reloaded with black.

Boolit Master
    the NAVY ARMS AMMO being smokeless, does that mean that they were centerfire?. if so that would be great to just insert a primer and go?

Boolit Master

No, they are copper rimfire cases, just like those made in the 1870s. They were just loaded with smokeless for Navy Arms by a company in Brazil. Someone sent me their fired Navy Arms copper cases. I reprimed them, then reloaded them with black powder.

Boolit Buddy
    I responded to your post and video over on CAS City but I'll double down here. Love the stuff you are doing. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us and keep them coming.

Dave

Boolit Master

Thanks Dave, glad you enjoy the videos - they are a labor of love. My eyesight is not what it used to be, so instead of target shooting I very much enjoy the challenge of bringing these often overlooked guns back to life. You have probably seen many of these videos, but for the benefit of others who may read this, here is a link to my other antique firearms related videos.

Steve

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...tvKtcAr3VWEUrT

Steve, your videos include chronographing the .32 rimfire derringer - did you ever manage to chronograph your .41 derringer black powder loads?
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ofitg View Post
    Steve, your videos include chronographing the .32 rimfire derringer - did you ever manage to chronograph your .41 derringer black powder loads?
    Yes I did, but it was difficult to keep the muzzle down with the super short barrel. Most shots registered an error. But I got one reading of 535fps.